SQOD Squad - Stupid Question Of the Day (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you so much, super helpful!

As a follow-up: The trails I would be doing are forest service roads and a few dry desert river washes. Total off-road miles are likely under 150miles. Would 21” rims and factory tires be OK for such roads/distances?
Yeah totally. The best way to upgrade is to wait until you see a need and then fix it accordingly. You probably won’t feel the need to change your setup until you start to notice a lack of traction in certain scenarios etc.

My 2015 LC also had no lights on it, but I've since added a pair at the far corners that come on with the dome lights, and a much brighter National Luna light in the center that is independent.

Would like to see a photo of these lights, but my bet is they were added by the PO.
Interesting. When I say "it looks like the lights on my 100's hatch", it looks like the exact lights. Maybe the PO had them on his 100, liked them, and had them installed when he upgraded. Like I mentioned, the only other mod is a trailer brake so I could see them being a handy modification if you're messing with hooking up trailers in the dark often.

If you have a photo handy you're welcome to share it but I'm not sure it would help my particular situation.

Interesting. When I say "it looks like the lights on my 100's hatch", it looks like the exact lights. Maybe the PO had them on his 100, liked them, and had them installed when he upgraded. Like I mentioned, the only other mod is a trailer brake so I could see them being a handy modification if you're messing with hooking up trailers in the dark often.

If you have a photo handy you're welcome to share it but I'm not sure it would help my particular situation.
Let’s see ‘em. I don’t know why they’d have the hatch open when hooking up trailers. The rear view camera is about the best possible aid for hooking up a trailer.

Let’s see ‘em. I don’t know why they’d have the hatch open when hooking up trailers. The rear view camera is about the best possible aid for hooking up a trailer.
Not with the truck but I'll share ASAP. When I say 'hooking up', I mean physically hooking up the trailer brake/electrical connections, chains, pins, etc. Not backing it up.

PXL_20210609_155221509.jpg

Here's the lights I was referencing. Headlights on, hatch open.

OK. If you are talking about these lights:

InkedIMG_1629_LI.jpg

Those are the license plate lights and light up when you have the parking lights or headlights turned on.

HTH

And... looks like we all came to our revelations at the same time... 🤪

Ha! I’m a moron… Never put two and two together that those would be for the plate. Well, at least I’m in the right thread.

To be fair, those lights work pretty well for ambient lighting at night when I'm hitching up. Just have to remember turn them on with the parking light!

I've been tossing around the idea of getting them to illuminate with my aftermarket hatch (interior) lights. They're likely pretty low draw and could probably be integrated with a couple diodes.

My newly acquired '15 LX is cranking slow. Alternator looks like it is charging fine so I'm thinking the 6 year old battery is going bad. Do I need to do anything special when replacing my battery with the '15 LX or is it simply unhook and replace like I did on my '10 200 (and '99 100). Thanks!

My newly acquired '15 LX is cranking slow. Alternator looks like it is charging fine so I'm thinking the 6 year old battery is going bad. Do I need to do anything special when replacing my battery with the '15 LX or is it simply unhook and replace like I did on my '10 200 (and '99 100). Thanks!
Should be just plug-and-play. I would make sure all the windows are up and the sunroof is closed, as I believe sometimes the pinch-detect on the Auto-close can get out of calibration.

Be aware when you do hook up the new battery, when you turn on the truck (not starting), it will go through a "reboot" process on the center display. Then the first time you start it, it will immediately die. Then the second time it's fine. I wish I knew why it did this, but mine always does.

I'm in Moab and was curious if my 2013 Land Cruiser (fully stock) can handle Shafer Trail and Finns N' Things? I'm worried I won't be able to clear some of the obstacles without scraping - is that a fair assumption?

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts!

I'm in Moab and was curious if my 2013 Land Cruiser (fully stock) can handle Shafer Trail and Finns N' Things? I'm worried I won't be able to clear some of the obstacles without scraping - is that a fair assumption?

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts!

No problems at all on Shafer and Long Canyon (if you make a loop out of it, recommended).

Fins... you'll scrape. I'd also be a little hesitant with the stock tires.

Last edited:
No problems at all on Schafer and Long Canyon (if you make a loop out of it, recommended).

Fins... you'll scrape. I'd also be a little hesitant with the stock tires.
Thank you! We have booked ATV's to do Hell's Revenge and Finns N' Things so was curious if I can do those with a stock Cruiser.

Would you advise doing all of Schafer trail (all 100 miles) or maybe sugges a portion? Same with Long Canyon - where would you start and end?

Thank you! We have booked ATV's to do Hell's Revenge and Finns N' Things so was curious if I can do those with a stock Cruiser.

Would you advise doing all of Schafer trail (all 100 miles) or maybe sugges a portion? Same with Long Canyon - where would you start and end?

100 miles sounds long for Shafer... are you thinking of White Rim road? The Shafer switchbacks are part of White Rim, but typically people make their way toward Moab via Potash Road. It's paved at some point. White Rim is definitely doable in a stock 200, but it's pretty remote so go in prepared. Also, I'm pretty sure you need a permit even for day use so keep that in mind. It'd be a tiring but fun day...

A fun day would be to take Gemini Bridges from 191 into Canyonlands, explore some of the hikes/viewpoints, take Shafer Trail down to Potash Rd., Long Canyon up to Dead Horse State Park. There's a short, fun mountain bike trail in that area along with some amazing viewpionts.

DSCF7720-M.jpg

100 miles sounds long for Shafer... are you thinking of White Rim road? The Shafer switchbacks are part of White Rim, but typically people make their way toward Moab via Potash Road. It's paved at some point. White Rim is definitely doable in a stock 200, but it's pretty remote so go in prepared. Also, I'm pretty sure you need a permit even for day use so keep that in mind. It'd be a tiring but fun day...

A fun day would be to take Gemini Bridges from 191 into Canyonlands, explore some of the hikes/viewpoints, take Shafer Trail down to Potash Rd., Long Canyon up to Dead Horse State Park. There's a short, fun mountain bike trail in that area along with some amazing viewpionts.
^x2

I've ridden White Rim on a 650 adventure bike and while on a bike it wasn't ever difficult, there's a lot of it, parts with traffic could get tricky, and there's a lot of it. It'd be a long day if everything goes right.

Should be just plug-and-play. I would make sure all the windows are up and the sunroof is closed, as I believe sometimes the pinch-detect on the Auto-close can get out of calibration.

Be aware when you do hook up the new battery, when you turn on the truck (not starting), it will go through a "reboot" process on the center display. Then the first time you start it, it will immediately die. Then the second time it's fine. I wish I knew why it did this, but mine always does.
Just replaced the old battery with an Optima yellow top. The LX did everything you described above. Easy. Thanks for the step by step!

Reactions: KLF
Just replaced the old battery with an Optima yellow top. The LX did everything you described above. Easy. Thanks for the step by step!
AGMs charge at a higher voltage than the stock flooded, and our smart alternators aren't able to top them off. That, along with our wicked heat, and the yellow top probably wont last that long. I was running dual yellows for a while, but I got tired of plugging in every few weeks.

AGMs charge at a higher voltage than the stock flooded, and our smart alternators aren't able to top them off. That, along with our wicked heat, and the yellow top probably wont last that long. I was running dual yellows for a while, but I got tired of plugging in every few weeks.

Ooof, didn’t know that. Should I return and get a standard battery?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom