Spartan Lockers ??? (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I guess the next step for my '92 is lockers. Been looking at different ones. Running lines for air or e-lockers doesn't appeal to me.

I'm looking at the Spartan auto lockers as the best bang for the buck. Anyone with experience with these?

I only see one listed for my 80. Does anyone know if this same locker fits both front and rear axles or just rear axle?

Lokka also one for the rear at a good price. They sell one for the front but you have to install a part-time kit; probably the same for the Spartan.

Spartan for 8" Toyota differential fits in front. Definitely want part time if you're doing auto lockers.

Id suggest no on the lunchbox lockers, especially since you dont seem to know what youre getting yourself into.

He is doing research and gathering information.

I love my lunch box locker (Lokka). 40k miles with zero issues.

As others have said, rear only for now and front someday if you go part time. I've also heard that with a rear auto locker you'll be able to conquer pretty much anything except the extreme stuff.

I plan on going with a rear aussie locker in the near future. I'd like to go harrop E lockers someday however at the moment that cash will be better spent on preventative maintenance, sliders, etc...

As others have said, rear only for now and front someday if you go part time. I've also heard that with a rear auto locker you'll be able to conquer pretty much anything except the extreme stuff.

I plan on going with a rear aussie locker in the near future. I'd like to go harrop E lockers someday however at the moment that cash will be better spent on preventative maintenance, sliders, etc...
Does having Aisin hubs on the front axle and a working CDL count, or would I need to go with the transfer case part time conversion?

There's no place for rock crawling around here without traveling a couple of hours. We do have plenty of bottomless mud holes.

Hubs would be fine. My experience with auto lockers in the front and rear in my FJ40 is that they would work much better with an open center differential and you don't want any kind of auto locker on either end in ice. If you have an autolocker on ice, you need to drive with light foot and very carefully to avoid changing from drive to coast in turns.

I love a lunchbox locker for the rear. Best bang/$ mod you can do for a weekend wheeler, IMO. If you still feel the need for a front locker after installing the rear, then do more research and decide your route. I think selectable front (e-locker or air locker) is the way to go. Yes, it is possible to run a lunchbox in the front with manual hubs and part time kit, but there are some pretty significant drawbacks that make a true selectable seem like a better idea for the front.

Lokka locker has great reviews...I bought one and then put a Harrop Elocker up front.

I love a lunchbox locker for the rear. Best bang/$ mod you can do for a weekend wheeler, IMO. If you still feel the need for a front locker after installing the rear, then do more research and decide your route. I think selectable front (e-locker or air locker) is the way to go. Yes, it is possible to run a lunchbox in the front with manual hubs and part time kit, but there are some pretty significant drawbacks that make a true selectable seem like a better idea for the front.
Could you elaborate on the drawbacks of a front auto with hubs/part time t-case? A lot of what I have seen has led me to believe you won't even notice it up there on the highway in 2wd.

I've had an Aussie in the rear for ~3 years/45K miles & have beat on it pretty hard. No complaints!

1 year on my Lokka, 10K miles, some in snow, and no complaints.

Could you elaborate on the drawbacks of a front auto with hubs/part time t-case? A lot of what I have seen has led me to believe you won't even notice it up there on the highway in 2wd.

No you won't notice it on the road in 2wd. However if you want to use 4hi on the road (snowy road, for instance) the best you can do is lock one hub and run in "3wd." If you lock both hubs, you will not be able to steer. Likewise, in off-road situations, you'll probably want to run in "3wd" the majority of the time since the locked front will make negotiating tight turns and switchbacks really tough (think 5-point turn). Then when you encounter an obstacle that warrants the front locker, you'd get out of the truck, lock the other hub, navigate obstacle, then get back out and unlock the hub again. To me, that just sounds like it would take the fun out of wheeling.

Frankly, if you're used to wheeling un-locked, just a rear lunchbox will be a very dramatic improvement in traction and there's a good chance that's all you will really want. That's why I suggest you go ahead and get one for the rear and then think about what you might want for the front later.

I have a Spartan in front, Detroit in rear, with a part time kit. I lock both front hubs, but only engage the transfer case as needed off road. It works, just adjust driving style to suit.

I have a Spartan in front, Detroit in rear, with a part time kit. I lock both front hubs, but only engage the transfer case as needed off road. It works, just adjust driving style to suit.

So you're basically just in 2wd most of the trail and then pop it into 4wd for obstacles? That's one way to do it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom