Spartan Locker long term review? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bludozer

SILVER Star
Threads
I've seen a few threads about spartan lockers but struggling to find more than a few posts from people who have had it for a length of time.

If you have one, how has it held up? Would you do it again?

Trying to decide between this one and an Aussie. Seems like the spartan has beefier components which I like but they also warn on their website about not running it with larger tires which leads me to believe it is weaker than the Aussie which has no such restraints. Aussie definitely has a lot of praise surrounding it...what about the Spartan?

I have had my Spartan for 3.5 maybe 4 years, works great as advertised. Was a little noisy at first but after a week quieted down and now I barely notice it. Highly recommended.

Awesome! Glad to hear that, thanks for replying. I think yours was one of the posts I saw from a few years ago but it was relatively new to you then. Happy it's still holding up well! Definitely leaning towards it over the aussie at the moment.

Yeah I think what sold it for me when I was looking was that Zuk the famous Toyota gear guy said it was the best of breed for the auto lockers so I bought it that same day. Easy install and nice to know you have traction when you need it. Only possible downside is if you lock your center diff, it can be a little squirrelly on ice.

Awesome! Glad to hear that, thanks for replying. I think yours was one of the posts I saw from a few years ago but it was relatively new to you then. Happy it's still holding up well! Definitely leaning towards it over the aussie at the moment.

Yeah I think what sold it for me when I was looking was that Zuk the famous Toyota gear guy said it was the best of breed for the auto lockers so I bought it that same day. Easy install and nice to know you have traction when you need it. Only possible downside is if you lock your center diff, it can be a little squirrelly on ice.

From a visual standpoint, even in pictures the components look thicker than the aussie. I guess they are just being overly safe with their disclaimer.

Don't have any personal experience with autolockers but I've seen a lot of people mention the potential hazard on ice. I don't really see that as a huge problem though - just leave your center diff unlocked. It is so much cheaper than arbs/harrops/whatever and a much simpler design (less to go wrong) to me it seems like a no-brainer.

Yeah it really is not bad at all.

I don't understand the blanket disclaimer, I mean they say 32" tire on a light vehicle but you can't tell me that is the same with a puny little Suzuki Samurai axle and a Dana 60??? But I have been running 315's the entire time and my truck is about 6600lbs.

I have had my Spartan for 3.5 maybe 4 years, works great as advertised. Was a little noisy at first but after a week quieted down and now I barely notice it. Highly recommended.

I've had mine for about the same amount of time and no issues whatsoever. Like Scottryana, it was a little loud at first but it quieted down after a bit and it is barely noticeable on the street. Haven't driven it in the snow, but wet roads hasn't been an issue.

The Spartan came recommended from Georg at Valley Hybrid who is a very well respected LC mechanic in Northern California.

I run 33's on a heavy truck, and wheel in the Sierras, take trips to Death Valley, the Mojave Road, etc. I'm definitely not a hardcore rock crawler, but I do travel at times on some difficult terrain and the Spartan has held up no problem. The Spartan is a great bang for your buck if you are looking for some more traction.

I just removed mine, but only because I just regeared for 35's and in the process installed front and rear Harrop/eaton elockers.

Yeah it really is not bad at all.

I don't understand the blanket disclaimer, I mean they say 32" tire on a light vehicle but you can't tell me that is the same with a puny little Suzuki Samurai axle and a Dana 60??? But I have been running 315's the entire time and my truck is about 6600lbs.
Yeah it makes absolutely no sense. Good to hear, I'll be running 35s as well.

I've had mine for about the same amount of time and no issues whatsoever. Like Scottryana, it was a little loud at first but it quieted down after a bit and it is barely noticeable on the street. Haven't driven it in the snow, but wet roads hasn't been an issue.

The Spartan came recommended from Georg at Valley Hybrid who is a very well respected LC mechanic in Northern California.

I run 33's on a heavy truck, and wheel in the Sierras, take trips to Death Valley, the Mojave Road, etc. I'm definitely not a hardcore rock crawler, but I do travel at times on some difficult terrain and the Spartan has held up no problem. The Spartan is a great bang for your buck if you are looking for some more traction.

I just removed mine, but only because I just regeared for 35's and in the process installed front and rear Harrop/eaton elockers.
I wont be doing any rock crawling either, but I'm glad to hear yours held up as well. Thanks for the report!

I had one in my 98 4runner on 35"s and 5.29s

It ate 7 CV shafts but never once gave me an issue.

There are a few pictures of me floating around on two wheels in it so you can imagine it was well used.

They are very solid units and it seemed much better built than my rear Aussie.

Thanks for the thread! I've been trying to decide as well!

How long did you have your Spartan locker installed? I think I’m in touch with someone who purchased yours and is now selling it. I’m just trying to get some use info on the unit - how many years installed and approx how many miles run. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom