Sound Deadening (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just joined and thought I'd search for this before posting question, but got nothing. So here goes: my 71 FJ40 has an aluminum tub, and man is it LOUD.... Engine/transmission noise seems amplified. Any thoughts, has anyone had success with sound deadening methods?

it's pretty much par for the course...there are some sticky mats out there, but in the 40 series they do a better job of keeping drive train heat out than the noise.

You do get material that you can stick to the inside and outside of the firewall. I put some under the hood as well. It makes a difference, but not huge in my experience. Just enough in fact that you start to hear all the other rattles and bangs. I've been chasing this tail for a while - new weather stripping everywhere, new bushes in the doors, making sure all nuts and bolts are tight etc etc. Mine is relatively quiet when I take the hard roof and sides off, but that's not really practical most of the time.

Ear plugs. Universal.

ear plugs will make you deaf

delicately install a decent sound system and the rattles/road noise/issues fade into the background.

Thanks to all! Yep, ear plugs would work, but maybe I just gotta start groovin' on the fact that it is a noisy little machine... Part of the charm? If you can't beat: love em! (still open to suggestions though!)

Sound deadening firewall and tub helps, carpets help. I also added sound deadening to underside of tranny hump.

After owning an FJ40 for years and years, I think they are most enjoyable at lower speeds with no top on - the hard top seems to help resonate any driveline noises.

But as others have said, you can make small improvements that help by chasing down rattling.

I'm shocked at the amount of hearing loss I have, without hearing aids the vehicle isn't bad. With hearing aids I notice a lot more loose rattles, things like the stuff inside the doors, the hood etc. The drivetrain noise isn't that different. But than my hearing loss is in the high range so the tinny/squeaky stuff isn't heard without the aids.

Sound deadening firewall and tub helps, carpets help. I also added sound deadening to underside of tranny hump.

After owning an FJ40 for years and years, I think they are most enjoyable at lower speeds with no top on - the hard top seems to help resonate any driveline noises.

But as others have said, you can make small improvements that help by chasing down rattling.
Thanks, not a bit priority right now, but I'll probably do some chasing down of some ideas. Very enjoyable at low speeds even with top on!

If the trans. tunnel cover is resting on the transmission (accidentally), it will be deafening. I did a 1" body lift on my FJ45 (with a later 4 speed tranny) and it was massively quieter.

So, check for any accidental drivetrain-to-body contact and fix that.

Maybe start with some Dynamat or a similar product to deaden some vibrations from the large areas, Summit Racing sells plenty of stuff. Beyond that you could look into stuff like Lizard Skin or the other material that guys are shooting on, I forgot the others.

My rig is still loud on the inside at 55+ mph but the annoying rattles are gone. Simple stuff like good weatherstripping and bushing helps tremendously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom