SOS front diff in pieces (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So a few weeks ago I decided to pull my front differential on my 98 land cruiser and replace it with all new everything including an arb air locker. Well my friend was helping me and he just told me to tear it down and we forgot to mark anything. I bought an air locker, nitro ring and pinion, nitro master rebuild kit and this special flange you have to buy with the new ring and pinion. So I think I have everything but I'm not sure. I really have no clue what I'm doing and I have no money to take it to a shop. I believe I have most of the tools also. Would anybody be willing to help me rebuild it from scratch? I'm trying to get it done by Thursday so if anyone would like to help i would be very appreciative.

Seriously?

You've never set up a ring and pinion before (let alone added a locker) and you just tore it down?

I'm hoping your 'friend' is familiar with the process, because you don't just throw it all back together (and have it last). If you don't have all the tools (including a dial indicator) and don't know the proper specs and don't know what a proper 'pattern' looks like, then I would recommend you seek out a professional.

You seem to understand that, so don't tackle it by yourself. Hope someone nearby can help you, but if you need to have it on the road again by Thursday....all I can say is, this project was something less than 'well planned out'.

Well I have the specs for it because nitro gear and axle sent me this sheet with all the specs on it and arb sent me a manual on how to rebuild the whole thing I'm just lost on how to do it all.

Agree with flintknapper...

This should illustrate how far you're in over your head:

1999 UZJ100 Landcruiser ARB install

and a half-assed DIY job is probably going to cost more in the long run, because you're probably going to have to do it again (or have a professional do it again) and potentially have to rebuy parts.

Setting up a ring and pinion is extremely technical and requires exact measurements and adjustments. DO not do this yourself.

1999 UZJ100 Landcruiser ARB install

THis will give you some idea of what's involved, but the pinion was not changed it this build and so much easier than what you have to do (setting pinion depth).

Money or not, you would be unwise to attempt this. You'll just be throwing away a bunch of expensive parts for nothing.

Well ok then.. I won't do it. Would anyone be willing to help me?

Maybe over FaceTime or something? I'm pretty sure I have most if not all the tools for it I just need somebody to supervise.

Last edited:

Maybe over FaceTime or something? I'm pretty sure I have most if not all the tools for it I just need somebody to supervise.

The link/thread above regarding this repair is excellent work done by someone with a high level of expertise and pride in their work and should at least be enough to convey to you that this is not something to be done over ""facetime" or something?"

Lesson to be learned here is to recognize your abilities or lack thereof, prior to undertaking a task.

At this point, you need to backup and punt, even if that means saving you funds until you can pay to have it done by someone capable.

Alternately, and possibly faster for you is to acquire a decent used working replacement from a junk yard etc.

Good luck whatever you end up doing. I mean that sincerely.

The good news is your third member is portable and can be taken to someone with the proper tools (and knowledge) to do the installation.

Also, it sounds as if you have the parts necessary (ring and pinion, master install kit), so you are good there.

Bad news is.....unless you have a 'press', bearing pullers, Micrometer, dial calipers and dial indicator with mount, accurate torque wrench ft. lbs and accurate torque wrench in. lbs (preferably beam style), you won't have the tools (minimum) to do the job.

Please don't misunderstand me, its not that we couldn't 'talk' you through the process (though it would be arduous) and manage to get the parts installed. Its the QUALITY of the job we wouldn't be able to confirm or quantify. You have a lot invested in the parts you have. A GOOD installation will insure they last a long time. A POOR installation surely means they will be short lived if not destroyed in short order.

The process (even for a professional) usually involves assembling and dis-assembling the diff several times. You will be 'trying' different shims in order to get a specified Pinion Pre-Load, Backlash, Carrier Bearing Pre-Load AND checking your 'pattern' on both the Drive and Coast sides of your ring gear. It pretty much takes someone 'on-site' to do this. It just isn't something easily conveyed over the internet.

I'd recommend you save up a little money and have it done by a reputable mechanic. If it were me I'd send it to 'ZUK'.

I have all the tools (and more) and have set up no fewer than a dozen diffs in various vehicles, but I'd still send mine to ZUK if it was my differential and all new parts were going in.

@gearinstalls.com ZUK is Ken Francisco of Chandler Az. He sets up Toyota gears and operates by shipping diffs in and out from his shop. I've had 3 done by him and the usual turn around is about 1 week. Meaning 2 days to him, 3 days there, 2 days back. Very fast turn around in my experience.

He is unique in that he documents everything he does and then puts it on the internet for all to see. His gear installs are about as perfect as can be done-read through some of the installs to get an idea of the careful meticulous work. He will send you pictures while it's in progress and point out any problems too. Reading through his other installs will give you an idea of why doing this yourself is a bad idea, unless you're willing to invest the time in tooling, measuring devices, and the actual nuances of installing gears in a new set-up.

Anyway, highly recommended. Send it to Ken and enjoy the results for years. Any good shop is going to charge a lot for this service because it takes lots of time to do correctly. Here are some of mine if you're interested.

Harrop elocker FJ60 456 Nitro gear install

Harrop elocker HP8 FZJ80

X2 What @Cruiserdrew said - Ken @gearinstalls.com is a consummate professional and a joy to work with. Competent, honest, great communicator and highly focused on doing one thing and one thing only - diffs.

He is very reasonably priced.

X2 What @Cruiserdrew said - Ken @gearinstalls.com is a consummate professional and a joy to work with. Competent, honest, great communicator and highly focused on doing one thing and one thing only - diffs.

He is very reasonably priced.

Agreed, VERY reasonably priced, superb work, honest, friendly, communication out the wazoo! No better source for a diff set-up IMO.

Agreed, VERY reasonably priced, superb work, honest, friendly, communication out the wazoo! No better source for a diff set-up IMO.
Lots of good shops out there, both full install and diff shops but Ken is the first we have run into that is this focused, specialized and easy to work with.

Can you make the truck mobile with the front diff removed? I know when people grenade their front diff they have to remove their hub flanges & drive shafts, but with the front diff completely removed could you still drive it? If so what modifications would you have to do to make this happen?

^ remove diff, driveshaft, CVs and protect the hub bearings (from dirt ingress) along with locking/engaging CDL and you're in rear wheel drive mode. If you had a grenaded CV you could use the outer tulip & splined end and that would make it mobetta keeping everything bearing related clean.

I'm pretty sure ZUK gets this alot. He's a very nice dude, professional, and will easily fix your problem (obviously, for a fee worth his time).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom