SAS Solid Axle Summit 2017 Official Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks John.
New brakes and u-joints on the 60 today.
Not waiting till the last minute like I usually do.

Yep, me too. Broke my tranny mount last week, replaced it only to see that my motor mount is also broken. I will be underneath it again today.

I always prefer to do this in the garage. Not a big fan of on the road repairs.

I always seem to do field repairs. Today I lost a nut on the downpipe to manifold flange while driving around on the family ranch. Shop must have not have tightened it yesterday after new exhaust. Had to borrow my mom's Jeep to head into town to get a nut.

We got out of the heat this weekend and went to clear lake, above Silverton co. Got so teaser pics.
20170708_172446.jpg
20170708_172732.jpg
20170708_172732.jpg

20170708_170447.jpg

20170708_165543.jpg

30 Days until SAS #1.
As of today this is the list of attendees. If your are unable to attend or know someone that has not signed up yet please do so before the 20th of July. That is the day shirt orders are placed. If your name is tagged in this post consider yourself and famliy/ friends accounted for. As always PM McGuire or myself with any questions or concerns. CB radio is the prefered trail radio, a $30 radio with magnetic antenna will work for trail communication.
We have 28 Classic Toyota vehicles making the journey to Colorado from all parts of this great country representing 10 states. Current counts at the bottom of this post and I will update as needed.
Thanks again Guys, this is coming together nicely and I look forward to seeing you in Ouray. Casey..

@mcguirejohnson
@fl4031003
@POTATO LAUNCHER
@The Machinist
@Jason hansen
@Mr Cimarron
@EasternYeti
@MTNMAN133
@rhah
@Yackster
@1997 FZJ80 40th
@mattressking
@John McVicker
@walkerranch
@cornboy
@sheepdawg
@ajax1
@Dirtydawg
@4Cruisers
@Ghost Rider

@Beastiethe70
@CenTXFJ60
@CaptClose
@The Eradicator
@NMC_EXP

Running tally so far as of July 12
FJ40 *4
FJ60 *10
HJ61 *1
FJ62 * 3
FJ80 * 6
BJ70 *1
HJ141 *1
BJ73. *1

States with number of Attendees
CA *4
CO *2
KS *1
MA *1
MO. *1
NM *2
OK *1
PA *1
TX *12
UT *1

Last edited:
McGuires dad Jim is going, my son Matt is going and Ryan too. That's 2 more 60s and one more 62

Wow! I 'think' my 60 is fully ready for my drive from the Eastern Sierra & on to Ouray and our 1st annual SAS. (Moab on the way out) but I can't believe the string of repairs I've had to do in the last 30 days. The only positive is that it's best to do this stuff in the driveway and not on the trail. I think in chronological order this is what I've had to do...most of this stuff is the result of recent trail damage...so, mostly my own fault:

1) ruined one BFG mud that had 5k on it. Bought a new tire.
2) tire guy wouldn't repair the 2nd damaged MUD...I plugged it. It's been good for 4 weeks now.
3) had to remove my pulley on my brand new Saginaw pump because I installed it backwards and the pulleys weren't quite lining up. Ruined the pulley in the process...had to buy a new one.
4) the new belt that came with the new pump...was not new. Failed on a trail...made trail repair with spare belt. Had to buy a new thin belt that fits the Sag pulley.
5) OEM low pressure hose on Saginaw pump started a bad leak, abrasive wear from 30 year old OEM bracket...another trail repair.
6) replaced broken motor mount, broken tranny mount and one broken leaf spring u-bolt...all from Kurt @ Cruiser Outfitters. About 3 years ago 3 of us went DOWN a scary trail. No issues...but scary. At the time, we said maybe someday we should try to go back UP this trail. We did...not a good idea for me.

I keep telling my friends that it's great that I'm mostly fixing this stuff in my driveway...they just look at me, smile and say...sure, sure, John. The wife says I can't take the 60 out of the driveway until I leave for SAS. Time will tell, but I think I'm ready.

I hear you on getting ready. All the little things now to get the 40 ready. Had some new exhaust issues but hopefully it's fixed. I've been commuting to work in it at least 3 days a week for the past month trying to get issues to show themselves and fixing them as they happen.
The 80 is the backup plan. It's funny that it's what I build the rig to do, long haul wheeling, yet it's sitting this one out. I turn 40 at the end of the month and it just seems fitting for a 40 year old man to drive a 40 year old 40 to celebrate.

Just following up on possibly splitting camping.

Anybody want to share a site for a night or two, I'm not planning on being there for the whole event, but would love to help split cost of camping while I'm down there. I sleep in my truck so I just need a spot to park for my camp set up.

Running tally so far as of July 12
FJ40 *4
FJ60 *13
FJ62 * 3
FJ80 * 8
LX450 *1
BJ70 *1

What??? No hilux or 4runners. Shocked. Loved my several hiluxes.

I agree man. Looks like year one is all Cruisers..

Just following up on possibly splitting camping.

Anybody want to share a site for a night or two, I'm not planning on being there for the whole event, but would love to help split cost of camping while I'm down there. I sleep in my truck so I just need a spot to park for my camp set up.
I don't know how big the sites are but I imagine you can squeeze in somewhere.

I don't know if our spot at 4js is big enough for our canvas tent. If its not we will probably give up our spot to some one else in the group and go camp at ironton.

How big a tent is it? Sites are pretty big.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom