So I'm curious...what did these FJs and BJs cost new? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Inflation-adjusted, these prices actually aren't that bad.

For example, check out what @spotcruiser's rig would've cost on an inflation-adjusted basis:

CPI Inflation Calculator

I've been thinking lately how great it would be if Toyota offered a utility truck following the Scion business model. Meat & potatoes base unit plus a bunch of build-to-suit options. Something that would be durable as heck and that you could spray the insides out with a hose to clean.

That's the exact price point I had in mind too. Low $20k area.

....I guess saying that seems kind of redundant around here. As if we all haven't had a similar thought. :doh:

Hi, In all the time I was looking for a new car in the early 80s I never saw a cruiser on Any Toyota lot, new or used. So I bought a new Honda Prelude paid 10,500 and it got 30 mph ! @ 10% interest. Mike

Bought my '84 FJ60 new, I paid a little over $14,000, list price was almost $16,000. We were deciding between a new '83 FJ40 and the '84 FJ60, IIRC the list price of the FJ40 was about $1,500 less.

So is this one of those choices you wish you would have gone the other way? $1,500 less then and worth how much more today?

The price on my 1970 FJ40 was $2700 when I bought it in Dec. 1973. I wanted a 4X4 and didn't have any credit so when the salesman said he would co=sign, it didn't give me any room for haggling. After he tallied up the financing cost I almost walked out but my wife told me to bite the bullet. After the last payment and the smoke cleared I wound up paying almost $5K. Not sorry I bought it.

the question i have yet to get an answer too, is how long did it take from the time the vin tag was riveted on to it hitting a dealers lot on the east coast.

So is this one of those choices you wish you would have gone the other way? $1,500 less then and worth how much more today?
Not for what we wanted the 4WD vehicle for, family camping in the boondocks of the southwest. With two young sons the FJ40 wouldn't have been big (or safe, or comfortable) enough. Besides, it turns out most of the FJ60's life has been in the mountains of northern New Mexico, where they salt the crap out of the roads in the winter. The body of the FJ40 would now be like Swiss cheese.

A 1979 CJ , Silver Anniversary, was a lot of money as well.

jeep-cj5_wrangler-silver.jpg

I looked at Jeeps at the same time as the Land Cruiser and I think the prices were fairly close. The main differences were that the LC came with a lot more standard equipment and the quality seemed so much better. The Jeep at the time was probably AMC and it had a lot of cheap plastic everywhere. The LC was all steel.

Bought my brand new 1971 FJ40 hardtop off the Toyota dealer lot in Salina Kansas for $3,452. There was no discount back in those days. I was very happy with it.

Great thread, 9 mpg city, love it!!!

Yah i was trying to figure out a good way to word it hahaha.

There was a thread about window stickers I cannot find. i posted a picture of my window sticker. Bought it 40 years ago last month brand new $ 6508

Sorry did not see johnyc's post

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom