So I'm curious...what did these FJs and BJs cost new? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There was a thread about window stickers I cannot find. i posted a picture of my window sticker. Bought it 40 years ago last month brand new $ 6508

Sorry did not see johnyc's post
It’s 9 posts above yours.

Here is the bill of sale for my rig.

IMG_1924.jpg

I started a similar thread over in the diesel section and only got 1 response... Sombody saying it was chat and to move it there lol. Not an admin

I can try to find it.. but the originally bill of sale was around $9400 for my 82 BJ42. I knew the original owner and confirmed it at some point. I don’t think there was a diesel premium back then.

Sounds more like a diesel discount. Is that Canadian $, cause I'm seeing some of our southern neighbours talking about USD$12k FJ40s of the same vintage.

Did Reagan try to save Chrysler around this time with tariffs on imports or something? It might explain the doubling of price between '77 and '82(ish).

I wouldn’t be surprised if the fj40s sold for more in Canada back then. Gas was probably a better sale to people. Horsepower ruled and I think the gassers came more equipped. The remediation mine I work at had BJ40/42s in the 70s and 80s and they used them out of necessity.

Could be but that doesn't explain the US jump (doubling) of prices over a five year span. Also I wasn't even counting for exchange rate which puts the Canadian dollar historically at around $0.75 on the dollar.

Hard to imagine a BJ42 going for about USD$7k when FJs were selling for over $12k.

I wish I could go back to '82. Good deal!

Could be but that doesn't explain the US jump (doubling) of prices over a five year span. Also I wasn't even counting for exchange rate which puts the Canadian dollar historically at around $0.75 on the dollar.

Hard to imagine a BJ42 going for about USD$7k when FJs were selling for over $12k.

I wish I could go back to '82. Good deal!
If I could go back to late March 1984 with the money I have saved now I would have bought the '84 FJ60 (that I did buy) AND the '83 FJ40 (it was mustard yellow).

Price could have varied based on the wide range of options you had to choose from. :rofl:

I've been thinking lately how great it would be if Toyota offered a utility truck following the Scion business model. Meat & potatoes base unit plus a bunch of build-to-suit options. Something that would be durable as heck and that you could spray the insides out with a hose to clean.

That's the exact price point I had in mind too. Low $20k area.

Pretty sure you are discribing a 70 series - doesn’t get much better AFAIC

Here's what I paid for mine in 1972. Dealer threw in a trailer hitch and locking hubs to seal the deal.

image.jpeg

20171210_085134.jpg

This is for for my '45.
I'm the second owner but the PO had saved this and it was included with the purchase.
Check out the cost of the 6000KM service.

This may be helpful in this rather interesting discussion: Attached are some images of Toyota's "1973 Toyota Land Cruiser Product Features and Marketing Appeals" publication. It is a brochure prepared by Toyota and provided its dealers to help in marketing the FJ40. It was produced in 1972 (my model year - aka the best model year) for the 1973 model year. For the purposes of this thread, the interesting part is the price comparison of the 5 four wheel drive vehicles that were present in the marketplace at that time: the Jeep, Scout, Blazer, Bronco and Land Cruiser. This puts the cost of the Land Cruiser in perspective. This is the information I used when I went to the showroom to buy mine.

IMG30221.jpg
IMG3028.jpg
IMG3029.jpg
IMG3031.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom