Builds SLOW 71 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Best buy and pack some Ivan Doig books for the trip. Start with the trilogy of "Dancing at the Rascal Fair", "English Creek" and "Ride with me Mariah Montana." You'll be driving through the country he describes in the context of his family in all three books. Superb writer.

Alright, I'm on it. I was wondering what to read on the trip.

EDIT...Done, they're on the way, Thanks Jim

Last edited:
Got the A/C fixed today, leak at the bulkhead and got the three books Jim recommended for the trip.

I opened the first of three and there's a quote from Miss Rose Gordon (1885-1968) "You got to make your way in this old pig iron world"

I know I'm going to like these books already! Wild fires be damn, here we come Montana! :beer:

You taking I90 across to wyoming/Montana? If your passing through and stopping in the area on a weekend (or weekday night) I wouldn't mind having a beer with ya. Remember last time you passed through Rapid City on the way back home. Not sure if your going a similar route or not.

Yeah, looking forward to hitting the road again. I'm ashamed to say, I need to wash the wagon from the Pig Party. :meh:

Npulver,

We're going over 80 and up through Yellowstone to Glacier, but on the way home we might be coming down 85 right into Spearfish. I'll keep in touch as we go along. The fires might make us change plans. Having a beer sounds good!

I was in the local farm store today getting some stuff for the trip and I heard this soft voice say "Scrapdaddy", spinning around I didn't see anybody and then heard it again. Looking down a bit I seen where my name was coming from and realized right then and there I was hooked.

Everyone meet Sheila and I don't care what Mrs. Scrapdaddy says, Sheila is going to Montana with us!

IMG_3677.JPG

If, perchance, you're going into or out of Yellowstone thru Cody, WY, plan to spend a day at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center. It'll take a day to see it all. It's really a collection of several museums in one place, including Buffalo Willy stuff, the Plains Indian Museum, the collections of various gun manufacturers and one of the finest collections of original western art you'll see anywhere, including Frederick Remington's studio and a ton of Charles Russell. Worth a detour or re-route and you'd enter (or exit) Yellowstone at the east entrance within spitting distance of Pahaska Teepee, Buffalo Willy's old hunting lodge. Nice campground near Wapiti, about halfway between the east entrance and Cody.

Thanks Jim, I do want to see that. We went through Cody last time, but never stopped there. This trip we're leaving Yellowstone higher up on the 212 and over the bear tooth pass then on to Glacier. I know we'll be back again, maybe when we go to Alaska. :)

Ok, we made it to Grand Island, Ne. spending the night and having Ziggy's 4WD shop replace a blown header collector gasket. It's the old style three bolt clamp, truly wish I had bought the v-band type. Other than that she's running great 70 to 75 MPH pulling the trailer running 190 degrees. If everything goes right we will be in WY. by tomorrow night and hope to be camping.

I'm going to try to post up some pictures as we go, but don't hold your breathe because I got one lesson and I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Npulver,

We're going over 80 and up through Yellowstone to Glacier, but on the way home we might be coming down 85 right into Spearfish. I'll keep in touch as we go along. The fires might make us change plans. Having a beer sounds good!

If you end up coming through Afton WY (which I think you will headed up to yellowstone from 80)... i'd love to check out your rig if you have time for a stop. We went up through Glacier last year with tons of fires too, still amazing but pretty hazy. But what can you do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom