Builds SLOW 71 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lambcrusher,

Does someone make a cable locker for a FJ60 diff.

yessir, Mr Toyoda has a company that does that. But, as @NookShneer points out, it is for all intents and purposes the exact inner workings as the elocker, just with a different actuator. AND IN ADDITION TO that, you could also rig a pneumatic actuator to operate either the electric or cable operated factory selectable locker...

Damn Jim, where you come up with this stuff. :) That purge valve sounds like what I need.

Thanks!

We stock the purge valve and can likely help you sort the leak too. 15 minutes of pressure isn't exactly ideal in fact we test all of ours for zero loss (with occasional spins) over the course of an hour or so at 120 psi. Where did the ARB come from?

I bought the ARBs from the goof by me, supposed to be top seller in Mo. No Help. Let me get this Fall trip in with it and if you would like to take a crack at it, I'll send you the whole third. I'm sure it's not a vent problem at this point.

Thanks Kurt for looking in.

I bought the ARBs from the goof by me, supposed to be top seller in Mo. No Help. Let me get this Fall trip in with it and if you would like to take a crack at it, I'll send you the whole third. I'm sure it's not a vent problem at this point.

Thanks Kurt for looking in.

If it's not holding pressure for more than 15 minutes, I'm pretty confident it's not a vent.

We're getting it ready for a trip up to Maine to Acadia National Park and hopefully drink a beer with Bob. Should be a fun trip with not a lot of planned agenda.

We're also planning a visit to Bob and to see the NE colors about this time next year, but in the other old vehicle in my sig line as part of a bucket list tour of the entire east coast, ending in Key West. Glad it's next year instead of this year! Have fun...hope its still warm enough for cold beer. Goal when I refurbed the Porsche was to drive it to all four corners of the continental US. Did the west coast last summer.
Maybe we can pair up for the Baja or Alaska sometime in the Pigs.

...hope its still warm enough for cold beer

What do you think Bob, is the temperature going to be right for drinking beer. :)

I would love to make either one of those in the 55. I went to Baja in '91 with my old F250, boy was that a trip.

I'm done, just going to let it drip oil. I will try that valve you suggested.

The Valve I posted is a Band-Aid not a permanent solution to the problem, I’m assuming your catch can will allow the air line to still fill with oil but prevent the oil from reaching the air solenoid. With the air line full of oil you’re essentially turning your “air” locker into a “hydraulic” locker and internal piston movement would certainly be adversely affected.

That 15 minutes is what the ARB tech told me was normal. Mine started leaking down after @ 30 min. give or take. (I was drinking beer) :)

When you and I checked your rear locker at the Pig party it did not hold air for ~5 minutes (or one beer at the pace I drink) meaning the gauge started losing air before the one beer mark.

I’m not an ARB expert by any stretch but I do know about stuff and the O-ring seals ARB uses are not unique to ARB, if a proper designed O-ring air seal leaks down after 15 minutes it’s bad. When planning an O-ring seal one must take into account the squeeze ratio “the amount the O-ring will be squeezed by its mating surfaces to create an effective seal”. What this means is at some point an ARB engineer sat at a computer and set the squeeze ratio for the O-rings and I can tell you with some degree of certainty that leak down after 15 minutes was not a design criteria. I have read the 15 minute test in the ARB instruction manual and I can only assume that this is a minimum acceptable standard after all the manufacturing tolerances are stacked up verses an ideal target number. Remember each of your four seals has four mating surfaces that can be slightly out of spec or receive damage at some point during the assembly process and without inspecting each of them it’s all best guess sitting in my office typing this. (FYI I’ve tested 5 air lockers 4 ARB’s and 1 Yukon and all have held ~8 hours plus) and none leak oil back up to the solenoid.

With all that said I believe you have a faulty unit or the guy installing the replacement O-rings is a dip $hit, at any rate I would send it to a reputable shop like @cruiseroutfit and let them get to the bottom of the issue before giving up on ARB altogether. ARB has a 60 mouth warranty and in all my dealing with them through cruiser outfitters they have exceeded my expectations for customer satisfaction.

When you and I checked your rear locker at the Pig party it did not hold air for ~5 minutes (or one beer at the pace I drink) meaning the gauge started losing air before the one beer mark

Jim, that was due to an airline leak and you drink way too fast! :) You're right about the installer, he is a dip $hit.

Well, after all that work on an extra vent in the rear axle, I still have oil coming up the ARB line. After talking with both reps from ARB and Diamond axle and not getting any answers other than "nature of the beast" I'm going to let it pump oil out. Hooked up a drain hose to the solenoid and ran it outside the body into a catch can. The can has a drain on it, so I'll do that for awhile until it gets old and I replace the ARB with an E-locker. At least I had fun making the catch can...

View attachment 1534723

Wow, that is disappointing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom