Slider Retrospective (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FMC80

SILVER Star
Threads
Ladies and gents,
Looking for your assessment of the sliders you have on your cruisers. More specifically, I’m looking to see if you have sliders that serve as side steps as well versus ones that are angled upward. I know WK sliders have the option of 10 or 15 degrees and I’m curious about your thoughts on whether you would’ve changed your mind on one over the other.

I assume the angled ones offer more flexibility when rock crawling or going through tighter spaces; is it a significant difference? The flatter ones offer more ease of entry for vertically challenged occupants but what’s the trade-off?

Would love to read your opinions to help me and perhaps others make a more informed purchase.
Warm regards,
FMC80

I have the old Metal Tech sliders before they switched to the current slider/step look that IPOR is hustling.
At first I didn't think I liked the look with the integrated step on the slider but have started to change my mind about that the older I get and did I mention wiser?
Metal Tech-/ IPOR sliders are IMHO the only sliders to consider. I've hit things going faster than I care to tell you and those sliders saved me and my truck every time. That's why I'll hype them over anyone's. I know what they have gotten me and the truck through without incident.
In a market where most look for fashion over function, Metal Tech got function first and made the look of their sliders(fashion) equal. With integrated CAT protection and optional accessory mounting plates they give you not only a bulletproof slider that looks great, plus peace of mind your catalytic converters are safe and space to install more accessories if you decide later you want to add a 3rd battery or air compressor and space is at a premium inside the engine bay and inside the truck isn't an option .... With these sliders now you do.

I have the old Metal Tech sliders before they switched to the current slider/step look that IPOR is hustling.
At first I didn't think I liked the look with the integrated step on the slider but have started to change my mind about that the older I get and did I mention wiser?
Metal Tech-/ IPOR sliders are IMHO the only sliders to consider. I've hit things going faster than I care to tell you and those sliders saved me and my truck every time. That's why I'll hype them over anyone's. I know what they have gotten me and the truck through without incident.
In a market where most look for fashion over function, Metal Tech got function first and made the look of their sliders(fashion) equal. With integrated CAT protection and optional accessory mounting plates they give you not only a bulletproof slider that looks great, plus peace of mind your catalytic converters are safe and space to install more accessories if you decide later you want to add a 3rd battery or air compressor and space is at a premium inside the engine bay and inside the truck isn't an option .... With these sliders now you do.
Sounds like an add for them, I too have the Metal Tech Sliders and they do work well as a step and a slider. Took me over 6 weeks and 3 different shipments to get the correct ones from them so keep that in mind if you order from them.

I have a pair of the white knuckle 10 degree sliders and love them. It was kind of an easy decision to get the flatter ones for me as the wife and I aren’t tall people and we’ve got two little ones. Off-road I haven’t really had a situation where I wished they were closer to the body. In fact I think I wouldn’t want them any narrower. In my opinion they sit just right in relation to the fender flares. I will say I had an issue with the massive cat protection. But that’s an issue I’d need to solve by rotating the cats and flattening the protection.

I have the WK sliders. Standard setup . I wish they stuck out a little further but only for more protection. I put some anti-slip tape on top of them and they work great for steps but, don't miss getting in with shorts!

It seems to me that if climbing into a cruiser with step sliders that have an angled step is too much of a challenge for somebody than a cruiser is probably the wrong vehicle all together.

In my opinion the difference between and angled step and flat step on any slider is not going to make that much of a difference for ease of access. Especially for those with limited mobility.

Maybe a stock cruiser with the factory running boards or fancy auto up and down step would be the best option.

Goodluck

I built mine flat and am happy with it. They work well as a step and other than hitting them more often on stuff I haven't seen any drawbacks. In fact having them kick out a little helps me keep the rear body panels out of the trees on the tight trails we have near us. I've actually been able to push the kick out up against a tree and use it to pivot around a really tight corner. With angled I would have been into the body on that.
Install 2.jpg
Install 3.jpg

Great feedback, I’ll look into those for sure. It’s an interesting thought about accessories on sliders, something I haven’t seen or even thought of.

Sounds like an add for them, I too have the Metal Tech Sliders and they do work well as a step and a slider. Took me over 6 weeks and 3 different shipments to get the correct ones from them so keep that in mind if you order from them.
Right on, I’m in Hawaii so it’s prudent I get back to CONUS before pulling the trigger on this, especially with the risk of having heavy shipments go back and forth.

I have a pair of the white knuckle 10 degree sliders and love them. It was kind of an easy decision to get the flatter ones for me as the wife and I aren’t tall people and we’ve got two little ones. Off-road I haven’t really had a situation where I wished they were closer to the body. In fact I think I wouldn’t want them any narrower. In my opinion they sit just right in relation to the fender flares. I will say I had an issue with the massive cat protection. But that’s an issue I’d need to solve by rotating the cats and flattening the protection.
Excellent feedback, exactly what I want to hear. Real world comparison, in-use feedback, with little ones for consideration.
I have the WK sliders. Standard setup . I wish they stuck out a little further but only for more protection. I put some anti-slip tape on top of them and they work great for steps but, don't miss getting in with shorts!
I think @enox had his custom built an inch wider than standard. Something I’ll have to consider too.
It seems to me that if climbing into a cruiser with step sliders that have an angled step is too much of a challenge for somebody than a cruiser is probably the wrong vehicle all together.

In my opinion the difference between and angled step and flat step on any slider is not going to make that much of a difference for ease of access. Especially for those with limited mobility.

Maybe a stock cruiser with the factory running boards or fancy auto up and down step would be the best option.

Goodluck
Well, everyone is different right? I’m not at all interested in stock steps, I already got rid of those. The power deployed ones are not an option for me because I plan to wheel this rig. Some people still have little ones to transport and my goal is to get feedback from them too. Perhaps the angled ones are more difficult to negotiate for little ones and especially when coupled with mud, ice, or simply being wet, it can make it worse. I asked this question here because I haven’t seen or experienced using sliders ever, on any vehicle. Thanks for the feedback.

I built mine flat and am happy with it. They work well as a step and other than hitting them more often on stuff I haven't seen any drawbacks. In fact having them kick out a little helps me keep the rear body panels out of the trees on the tight trails we have near us. I've actually been able to push the kick out up against a tree and use it to pivot around a really tight corner. With angled I would have been into the body on that.
@Pascoscout
Great feedback here, I like the idea kickout in the rear too. I’m not handy with the welder so I’ll have to buy some prebuilt ones. Yours look great!

I run WKOR 10 degree sliders with my own design of boot grips welded to the top face.
Enox got a set just recently that were an inch wider...wish I'd knwon that was an option. Other than that, I am very satisfied with my decision.

I run WKOR 10 degree sliders with my own design of boot grips welded to the top face.
Enox got a set just recently that were an inch wider...wish I'd knwon that was an option. Other than that, I am very satisfied with my decision.
I’ve seen yours Rusty, very rugged and practical design. I don’t want to see someone’s drunken stumble into your set up shin first. That’ll leave a mark. 🤣

Our local club had a group buy for Bump It Offroad step sliders a few years back and got a great price, unfinished. We all went in together for local powdercoating, and it worked out great with several install-parties. These are flat, designed to mimic the stock design, and with a little skateboard tape across the top, make getting in and out a lot easier than with angled or any type of tube sliders. I also like the mud flap protection (*at the risk of flare damage...) that comes with Jspec front flaps, that have a matching cutout which fits the step sliders. They're solid, and I wouldnt change a thing. My wife-unit wouldn't enjoy the LandCruiser nearly as much without the steps and grab handles. A recent pic;
Screenshot_20210410-125733.jpg

I have Luke's @4x4labs sliders. No idea about the angle but they are fantastic and have taken a fairly good beating. They come with an integrated cat protector which stops the thieves these days. I had Luke weld in a plate to fill the loop at the back so it made it easier for passengers/dogs etc to step up.

I think @enox had his custom built an inch wider than standard. Something I’ll have to consider too.
Yes I did.
Enox got a set just recently that were an inch wider...wish I'd knwon that was an option.
Yeah I called and spoke to John, he made em wider..
have Luke's @4x4labs sliders. No idea about the angle but they are fantastic and have taken a fairly good beating. They come with an integrated cat protector which stops the thieves these days
Yes, WK have integrated cat protection too.

I called 4x4 labs, unfortunately simon couldn't have them made wider...but I do like their design and I'm really happy with my 4x4 labs rear bumper.

WK here with the std 15 degree tilt and DOM tubing, tough as nails. I’ve got the 3M grip tape on the tops which helps the wifey but we usually take her Subaru to run around. I’m 6’4” and mostly legs so my opinion regarding entry and exit are worthless. I just hop straight in.

Excellent feedback, exactly what I want to hear. Real world comparison, in-use feedback, with little ones for consideration.

Well, everyone is different right? I’m not at all interested in stock steps, I already got rid of those. The power deployed ones are not an option for me because I plan to wheel this rig. Some people still have little ones to transport and my goal is to get feedback from them too. Perhaps the angled ones are more difficult to negotiate for little ones and especially when coupled with mud, ice, or simply being wet, it can make it worse. I asked this question here because I haven’t seen or experienced using sliders ever, on any vehicle. Thanks for the feedback.

@Pascoscout
Great feedback here, I like the idea kickout in the rear too. I’m not handy with the welder so I’ll have to buy some prebuilt ones. Yours look great!
Wife and two young kids are exactly why I went with flat tubes on mine. None of them could get in and out of the truck once the lift went on without them. I thought about grip tape on top but after the first winter I realized I didn't need it.

If you already plan to come back state side it's probably worth waiting. Otherwise you might see what someone would charge you to build a set over there, might be comparable to buying and shipping a set. They aren't really all that complicated to make. I help people build stuff all the time as long as they are willing to work in the shop with me so maybe you could find an arrangement like that with a member of a local wheeling club.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom