September POTM - FJ55TLC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I do feel pretty good about it. I would feel very good about it if I had built it myself, but I am taking a chance. I am trying to finish these little projects that I have started on it before I start the rear winch. Today I got the two passenger door switches installed. When either door is opened the dome lights come on. It will be soon on the winch though, I have all the necessary parts. Just need the time.

The cruiser has been running great! I replaced the crappy intake/exhaust gasket that came with the engine and I knew better to install, with a graphite one from sor. Very nice gasket. I painted the header inside and out. Eastwood has header paint for the inside that is real thin and coats the inside and keeps heat out of the engine compartment. They also have paint for the outside of the header. The paint for the inside I was impressed with, the paint for the outside I was not. But it does look better. Still measuring for the rear winch, but the wife and I are heading for Utah for a little vacation and I will work on the winch when I get back. Also, on a side note, the cruiser works fantastic for towing the wifes van home after it cracked a head. I really liked that Previa, but maybe it is time to get something different.

Yes, 1996 super charged, leather seats, all power. I put rear a entertainment system in it, added heated elements to the seats, all the goodies. It should have its own build thread.
The gasket is a bit pricey from sor, but I am very pleased. Worth the money.

Yes, 1996 super charged, leather seats, all power. I put rear a entertainment system in it, added heated elements to the seats, all the goodies. It should have its own build thread.
The gasket is a bit pricey from sor, but I am very pleased. Worth the money.

So the head is garbage? Sounds like that one might be worth saving? Not sure how much time and $ goes into replacing the head on one of those... S/C and AWD are pretty useful out here.

Yes, the heads develop cracks in the water jacket and exhaust runners. I bought this van like this 150,000 miles ago. It took 7 remanufactured heads to find one that was not cracked. I will find another head probably. You are right about awd being useful. This thing is a beast in the snow! Makes a land cruiser look terrible. Unless the snow is over a foot deep of course.

I got some Land Cruiser time today for a change. I finished installing the door switches in all four doors so when a door is opened the dome lights come on. It's sophisticated beast. Still finalizing plans for the rear winch before the cutting commences.

I am getting some little projects done on this. I checked the head torque on the new motor and adjusted the valves. Sounds great now. I have been driving it daily for a while. It is so nice to keep up with traffic for a change. I installed new front drive shaft bolts. They are from Toyota and are a smidge bigger than the old ones so I had to drill out the holes just a bit. I also got the windshield washer working. It hasn't worked for quite some time. I have the rear bumper welded up for the most part. Just a few more things to do to it and then paint, but I have not bought the new power cables for it yet. It will be a little while before it goes on. Progress is being made and a wheeling trip is planned soon too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom