Scoobiedubes '72 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scoobiedubes said:
Wow, lookin good Kevin! Finally checking in, got married over the weekend - I figured I needed to get this done BEFORE the wedding so the wife couldn't have any say on it afterwards :p Can't wait to drive this without craning my neck to look beneath the visor, and not get migraines from all the fumes!!! :cheers: you rock Kevin

Congratulations Nathan!!!

Another FJ40 coming back into the fold the right way.:steer: Looks like a good project.

You'll need to rename your tool shop :idea:

Lotsa custom tooling for tooling around the desert

I wuz thinkin TOOL'S TOYS or TOOLED TOYS or TOOLED UP TOYS or .................

GerioFab :hillbilly:

I need to hire a professional!!

Get it right, it's the Tool-Pot Rig Spa and Emporium!:hillbilly:

Who's Rig?

You three do nice work. My cruiser needs a day at the spa and emporium. It needs new front lower control arm bushings. You are the experts, but, I am thinking a washer caster mod with the super flex package is required. I plan to traverse the latest "square" speed bumps...

Do you have time for an 80 next week?

That rig is a buddy I work with who is looking to get on the trail with us some time soon. Cool guy but unfortunately he knows me which apparently is a mistake.

azTony said:
That rig is a buddy I work with who is looking to get on the trail with us some time soon. Cool guy but unfortunately he knows me which apparently is a mistake.

I've never been called a cool guy before *single teardrop*. In all seriousness, thanks for introducing me to Kevin. I was probably in over my head with that PS install, would be lost without him and what a nice wedding gift to myself - a 40 I can turn at low speeds!!

Everything on this rig has been a war, having to fight to make stuff right!:eek: For example; the thermostat housing reseal, simple job? In this case, someone broke off one of the bolts, not uncommon. Their fix was; drill a hole through the broken bolt and use a small screw and nut. Broke both ends of the screw off, using heat, finally got it apart, it was assembled with JBweld! The housings were in good condition, re-tapped the hole, good to go, just a war!:hillbilly:

One part of the job that we knew was going to be a learning curve was the column. The early type is supported by the steering box, so a support structure/bearings need to be made. Most that I have seen used a swamp cooler type pillow block bearing, we were looking to make something cleaner. Got it mostly done, came out clean/nice, but ether didn't shoot pix or lost them, will re-shoot. :eek:

The rig came with a power steering "kit", included a Saginaw pump with brackets, etc. We got the "hard" parts done, (mounting the box, etc) so time to bolt the "easy" parts on and be done,,, right, nothing fits!:eek:

Called Georg, turns out the kit is for a 2F, says some have made it work, go ahead and butcher it, if we mess it up he will replace what is needed, so the "fun" starts! The pump "ham can" is hard into the air cleaner, needs to move down or use a different air cleaner (not going to happen).

ana_12.jpg

ana_13.jpg

Last edited:
In this pic, can see that we had already chopped the lower end of the bracket, lowering the pump ~1", not enough. Due to the contour of the can and the shape of the bracket, there is little/no adjustment swivel, for belt adjustment

ana_14.jpg

So, slightly more hacking was needed! Now we have good fit, adjustment swivel, but the ham can still interferes with the air cleaner. Would work, but would have limited adjustment and would be a pain to get the cap off, add fluid, etc.

ana_15.jpg

ana_16.jpg

ana_17.jpg

So, a trip to the pick & pull nets a soup can and remote reservoir off of a van. Will mount the reservoir next to the air cleaner, solves that problem, the pump rotates nicely, plenty of adjustment.

ana_18.jpg

So, mount the pullys, fan, nothing fits. The fan hits, the water pump pulley is a full belt width off, the pump is ~3/4" off, etc. Not unexpected, just ana-other,,,,.:hillbilly:

One way to "fix" it would be to convert to a later type 2F water pump/clutch/pully/fan assembly? We just chopped out a spacer to move the water pump pulley and fan out, looks like that will work well? Still need to make adjustments/spacers for the pump.

ana_19.jpg

Looks like an entirely new "custom" front of the motor!!!

Tools R Us said:
So, mount the pullys, fan, nothing fits. The fan hits, the water pump pulley is a full belt width off, the pump is ~3/4" off, etc. Not unexpected, just ana-other,,,,.:hillbilly:

One way to "fix" it would be to convert to a later type 2F assembly?

Fixed it for ya....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom