Saginaw/ pitman arm ? (1 Viewer)

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
So I've finally got it together. It was a tight time frame to get it done for Tellico this weekend. I have a few safety questions as well as some tech.

My Pitman arm is only 5 1/4 inches from eye to eye. I know it's way to short.

Question

My box bottoms out way before my steering stops hit. 3/4 of an inch. Even if I put the stops all the way out they wouldn't touch. What effect will this have on my drivetrain wheeling this weekend? Could this break the box?

Anybody have an idea where I might be able to get a longer pitman arm today. I tried napa but they only sell parts that wear out not collision parts? Do you think Jeep would carry a pitman arm in stock for a wagoneer?

How long do you think my pitman arem needs to be?

I bought a tapered reamer so I can pretty much make the end for the pitman to tierod end.

IMG_5465.jpg

IMG_5463.jpg

IMG_5462.jpg

IMG_5461.jpg

Last edited:
Website
www.employees.org
I have a totally flat pitman arm from a late camero, center-to-center is about 7"... I think it will work for you...if you don't mind paying for the overnight FedEx let me know asap, I will have it out during lunch Pacific time...So you can wheel on the weekend...It's yours for the ride...

/td

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
You have any more of them?

Website
www.employees.org
Poser,

I have Wagonger arm with a half inch drop, this baby came from factory already taper for 1-ton tie-rod and much beefier than the camero arm...Yours for the ride too.

/td

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Website
www.marksoffroad.net
Poser said:
You have any more of them?

I got a box full if you need 'em Steve. ;)

troll if you must you can weld tabs onto your steering stops to extend them, just a band aid. did you ever get a hold of kurt?

Gumby

Supamod
s-Moderator
I have found pitmans to be hard to find in stock as they don't wear out much.

Ford F-250 and Bronco from 78 have a 4 inch drop and a 6 1/2 eye-to-eye and WAY beefy. Has the big TRE size, which is different from the big RRE size.

Got mine from JCWhitney.

6-1/2 is minimum, IMO.

Some Jeep arms require you to re-index the splines with a file. The Ford and Camaro arms will be straight when the steering wheel is straight.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Thanks everyone for there post. Kurt ended up giving the advise I needed. I had looked all over for a pitman arm from all the part houses locally. He said to find a 4x4 shop and ask them. Bingo. Found a strait one for 20 dollars that will work for me all I have to do is taper the end. Thank ya'll again. And thanks Kurt (cruiser outfitters). Couldn't have done all this in the time frame I had with out your help. Your a good man.

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
mustard....

empty your BOX!!! :)

Manual saginaw boxes and early power saginaw (some 3 bolt boxes) have a smaller diameter splined shaft where the pitman arm bolts on. This is at least true of what I've run into on GM cars.

Website
missionsonwheels.org
Trollhole - Did ya find a pitman arm that works for ya?

I'm looking for a 0 - 1" drop, 6" - 7" eye to eye, 1 1/8" at the box. After the spring flip the pitman arm is getting into the tie rod. My current pitman is about 5 1/2" eye to eye, with a 3" drop.

Gumby - Is a stock '78 F250 arm flat? Sounds like an easy fix if it is.

Suggestions? Thanks,

Pulled mine off an old Buick Century : about 3/4" drop & 6-3/4" hole to hole. It has worked real well for me. My Cruiser is setting on stock springs.

Gumby

Supamod
s-Moderator
66fj40x2 said:
Trollhole - Did ya find a pitman arm that works for ya?

I'm looking for a 0 - 1" drop, 6" - 7" eye to eye, 1 1/8" at the box. After the spring flip the pitman arm is getting into the tie rod. My current pitman is about 5 1/2" eye to eye, with a 3" drop.

Gumby - Is a stock '78 F250 arm flat? Sounds like an easy fix if it is.

Suggestions? Thanks,

No. It's a big drop. about 4"

Website
missionsonwheels.org
nailbender said:
Pulled mine off an old Buick Century : about 3/4" drop & 6-3/4" hole to hole. It has worked real well for me. My Cruiser is setting on stock springs.
That sounds like what I'm after. Any idea what year?

Thanks,

Sorry I don't know what year but found several GM cars that had something similar but couldn't get them loose. That is the bitch about getting one from a pick and pull.

More Options???

Has anyone stumbled onto a good spot listing all the options?

I have a 2.5 inch drop that's about 5.5" oc for the late model o-ring gear (AGR box - 1 1/8th or larger spline) and I'm looking for something similar that's got the 3/4 drop mentioned above - reamed for a 1 ton tre. I think what I have might hit the spring when I finish the shackle reversal. Lots of good options above - but not sure if any are what I'm looking for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom