1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rusty quarter panel bubbles

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by CruiserAL, Jan 8, 2018.

1. gregnash

gregnash Anal Retentive Analyst SILVER Star

That is a dipstick probably for the engine. You have yours installed right? Should be right behind the distributor on the engine, passenger side.

2. Hojack

Hojack

Are you missing your oil dip stick

3. CruiserAL

CruiserAL

Media:
  4. g-man

g-man SILVER Star

Edited my post on body work steps. added two more steps.

5. CruiserAL

CruiserAL

Media:
    Due to the rust nature of the inside of my QP's is this fixable? or do you think I will need to just get new quarter panels and weld them in?

6. gregnash

Hard to tell from your photos... have you taken the paint down on the panels yet to see what the damage is? Really can't tell until you get in there. But main thing is that rust never sleeps, thus your best bet is to replaced the affected area completely. That means cutting a good 2" into good metal around the rust to ensure you get everything.

7. CruiserAL

CruiserAL

Media:
    Ya... Ok So if I 1. don't know how to weld yet, and 2. Cant afford new quarter panel metal currently is there anything I can do to mitigate the Rust growing for a year or so?

8. gilamonster

gilamonster SILVER Star

Apply oil or something like fluid film regularly should keep it a bay for a while.

9. g-man

g-man SILVER Star

Agreed. Some oil sprayed down in the inside. And you won't know if you need to replace metal until you start grinding. But there are other ways to repair. If say you start grinding and you have an area the size of a baseball that is weak. You can cut it out with a grinder and a cutting wheel then fiberglass patch. Take fiberglass mat...hold it up to the hole and dab resin/hardener into the mat. Strengthen it by adding layers. You have to go 2 or 3 inches beyond the hole all around to bond to some good metal. You have to hold it for a few minutes until it sets up. Or if you have small pea size hole or even size of a quarter you can smear short strand fiberglass mat/hardener filler over the area. It dries really hard then you grind it down, sand with 80 and continue on. The main thing is to not leave any rust. Grind that stuff down to shiny metal. And if it gets too weak cut it out.

10. CruiserAL

CruiserAL

Media:
    Alright guys I spent some time grinding and there seems to be one problem spot on the face here:

And the underside here:

the plug had been painted over by a previous Owner.... Yikes...

Thoughts?

I think the underside will need to be cut out at some point, and I am going to continue to grind the spot on the face to check its strength.

Thanks for all of your help. I am a body work newb.

g-man likes this.
  11. g-man

g-man SILVER Star

Keep grinding the pitted. If it ends up make a hole or looking like swiss cheese ...just cut out the weak metal until you have good solid metal you can't bend with your hands.

12. g-man

g-man SILVER Star

BTW how cold is it in Oregon today? Are you working in a shop?

13. g-man

g-man SILVER Star

Just in case you don't know...you can't work with filler or paint in the cold.

14. CruiserAL

CruiserAL

Media:
    Its like 50... Not in a shop, but also I am not doing any repair today just had time to take it down to the metal.

15. g-man

g-man SILVER Star

Wait for warm weather to paint. You could just spray some cheap spray paint on it until warm weather ...then finish it. Filler doesn't set up that well either in cold. So you'll be waiting a while between coats.

16. brownbear

brownbear Mod in Hibernation Moderator

Use gel rust remover, and brass cup brush on your grinder. It take a lot of re-coating on the rust remover to get the majority of it. But shockingly it does well. Or get an air compressor and some fine crushed glass, real fine. or Soda blast. It also gets it out.

Then use rust converter, and prime etc.

Don't use POR.

Look on the inside towards the wheel arches. Every cruiser rusts there. I'd use a krown oil, or rust check etc on the inside to slow it down. Every year if you spray it should hold it back. Oil is a good thing on rusty metal. It does stop/slow it right down.

gregnash likes this.
  17. brownbear

As a reminder, if you use a grinder use a face shield. And safety glasses. You need both. Those wires come off like flying hypodemeric needles.

CruiserAL likes this.
  18. CruiserAL

CruiserAL

Media:
    I am having a hard time finding a place to actually buy rest check. Seems to be the best oil product out there. is that true?

19. brownbear

I also like Krown oil. And LPS 2 and 3. Most auto parts stores have a variety of it. Rust Check in Canada has dealers to spray cars, but I can also find their products in our large hardware stores.
    The picture of your QP underside is rust from the inside coming out. Mine was exactly like that ten years ago. I did a modification where I trimmed the QP shorter. It's pretty common.
    My Rockers and my QP are rust right now too. So I am back in there.

20. gregnash

That panel is actually in really good shape... Like @g-man said, grind down that area that you can see the rust has pitted. Either it will blow through or it will take it out. Once you get down past that stuff then just throw some primer on it and call it good until you can get some days that are above 55* for a majority of the day to paint.

CruiserAL and g-man like this.