Roof Rack Recommendation (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I am having a hard time deciding on a roof rack for my 200 Series.
I have looked at the ARB and a few others but was wondering if anyone had a recommendation and/or photos of what they decided on and what they liked or don't like about it.

Planning a big trip later this year and will likely have a roof top tent but mostly carry gear, pelican cases, surfboards, etc. Would be pretty cool to have a perch to hang out on when camping so that is something else that could be a plus.

Thoughts?

So, I am having a hard time deciding on a roof rack for my 200 Series.
I have looked at the ARB and a few others but was wondering if anyone had a recommendation and/or photos of what they decided on and what they liked or don't like about it.

Planning a big trip later this year and will likely have a roof top tent but mostly carry gear, pelican cases, surfboards, etc. Would be pretty cool to have a perch to hang out on when camping so that is something else that could be a plus.

Thoughts?

I'll soon be looking for a RR too...and I don't have any great answer for ya...but just noticed you're in San Diego like me, and thought I'd say HELLO! :hillbilly:

Front runner slimline II.

So modular that whatever you can think of, there is an attachment for it. The rack has T-slots to slide tie down points around, so it makes it much easier and faster to secure boxes.

I've put a Slimline II on 3 different vehicles are still think it's the best out there.

IMG_0175.JPG
The slim line is one of my favorites, also check out the Gobi racks.

I have been happy with my Baja rack but do not like how the feet make flat spots on part of the roof line. If I ever remove the rack I will be very mad for sure.

I must say though I regularly use it for moving 16' goods and it works great, lots of good tie down points and now worried about the structure because it is metal. I regularly have 6"x6" building materials on the rack and no worries!

I'll soon be looking for a RR too...and I don't have any great answer for ya...but just noticed you're in San Diego like me, and thought I'd say HELLO! :hillbilly:

Nice to meet you Mark. I notice you have an '08 with Rock Warriors on it. What color is it? We just sold our 100 Series to a guy in Bay Park and bought an '08 with the OME Lift, Rock Warriors and I just had an ARB bumper put on it. Next is slidders, roof rack and a winch but all in time because my wife is giving me that look...

I am wondering if I have seen you around as I just saw a black '08 in Mission Valley the other day that was just like ours but it had a big yakima box on the roof.

Maybe we will have to hook up for a trip to the desert for some wheeling.

View attachment 1437370 The slim line is one of my favorites, also check out the Gobi racks.

I have been happy with my Baja rack but do not like how the feet make flat spots on part of the roof line. If I ever remove the rack I will be very mad for sure.

I must say though I regularly use it for moving 16' goods and it works great, lots of good tie down points and now worried about the structure because it is metal. I regularly have 6"x6" building materials on the rack and no worries!

I am going to check out the slim line. I like the low profile look and heaven forbid my wife can't fit into the garage at Nordstroms every once in a while, which could be problematic with the ARB height wise. I really like the look of the GOBI racks on the 4runners but haven't seen one on a 200 yet.

I would also be concerned about the damage that the Baja Rack is causing on your rig so I might avoid that one. Even though I will likely never take the rack off again.

Very happy with my Pirsu but it does leave little room to easily mount a RTT - possible but just not easy. That said it's low and super solid.... and much quieter then my Gobi was on my 100.....

Roof Rack recommedations are going to vary since there are so many good choices. I went with the Gamiviti and real happy with it
R3.JPG

I too am looking for a roof rack solution, however I need it for my 2017. Many of the on line catalogs that I have looked at from various manufacturers do not list racks that fit the latest model year LC. I'm open to suggestions and direction on this if anyone has something to offer.

Thanks!

To the OP... I recently realized thatFrontRunner is based in the LA area...so only a couple hours North of us. I talked to them a while back and learned that you CAN get lower-profile mounts than their newer standard single-piece mounts, which stand off pretty high. I'm interested in a lower profile...and it turns out you can still buy their alternative mounting system. It's too low for their tables, etc, but I don't need a small, $400 table under my roof rack anyway. :)

They also do installs there...and their system has just about any object-specific mount you can think of.

I'm happy with the Gobi. I have it on my 2016. Without any cargo on the roof rack my height is under 7'. Here are some pics.

IMG_0781 (1).jpg
IMG_0782 (1).jpg
IMG_0783.jpg
IMG_0813.jpg
IMG_0835.jpg

Pshhh! Don't know what you guys are talking about "low profile roof racks." As long as you can still fit under a tree... You're Good! Even with 3.5" of lift, 34s, and a RTT.
IMG_6336.JPG

Well... umm, you should still get out and make sure.
IMG_6349.JPG

And I still get my overpriced table's under that rack.

But seriously, a Slimline II is so versatile. I've changed my setup from carrying rotopaxs, to an Oztent and boxes, to an Oztent, bags, and a propane tank, to two different types of awnings, and now a RTT and tables. All without drilling a single hole, and without having to strap things down by wrapping straps around the rack itself.

For me, who changes things up so much for different trips, and then lives out of these things for weeks on end, other racks may look better, but when you put boxes and tents up and down, everyday, there is nothing like the t-slots and quick user customization and mounting accessories that Frontrunner has built.

And unlike all other racks, it's all bolted together, so you can break it down into a tiny little box and ship it for considerably cheaper than a full welded rack, if you want to sell it. Or, for when I get a Patriot X1 trailer, with a Slimline II, I can half rack it, just to hold the table and skis. Try doing that with a full welded rack. Also, all the fasteners are nylock, so it won't rattle apart. I rattled a transfer case off in death valley one time, but the slimline on that truck was fine and happy, even with 220 lbs of crap on it.

IMG_3366.JPG

That's the same rack, switch the foot kit out and take it with you form vehicle to vehicle. Not happening on other racks.

Function wise, and I usually don't ever say one product is better, because every product has merits, I haven't found a better rack than a frontrunner slimline.

Looks wise, yea there are better, but then again, I don't thing things look good, when they are for show.

Low profile makes sense when it's empty, but as soon as you put something up there, you're probably 8" taller at least.

I think most 200 series racks out there are going to be pretty low to the roofline, unlike older land cruisers with taller gutter-mount feet.

My suggestion is something with a wind deflector option.

I'll +1 Romer's suggestion. I really like my Gamiviti, and Tim was great about customizing it to my liking. It's maybe an inch taller than the factory rack.

Have had slimline and slimline II. Great racks. Latest version comes with somewhat tall mounting option which can be swapped out for more generic mounting feet that are available, but not advertised, lowering the profile. So many options for solidly securing anything you'd want to carry.

Hi guys, I recently bought myself an 08 UZJ200, and the only thing missing from it is a roof rack, Im wondering why I don't see that many ARB racks out there. I know there is ample choice in the market but I also believe ARB has a sort of cult following, how come I don't see more of those posted around.

Does anyone own one? I would like to hear opinions on it.

So far my choices would be between the ARB and the Slimline II.

Height was my issue with the ARB...... I loved the one I had on my old 80 but ended up needing to be lower profile on it and my 100..... wnet to a Labrak on the 80 and then Gobi for the 100..... and Prinsu for the 200.....very happy with the prinsu so far.

For those running the slimline II how is the wind noise?

I'm very torn between the Gobi and the Slimline. I kinda like the look of Gobi and how they also throw in a ladder, but I really like the modularity of the Slimline. I can't decide ugh!

For those running the slimline II how is the wind noise?

I'm very torn between the Gobi and the Slimline. I kinda like the look of Gobi and how they also throw in a ladder, but I really like the modularity of the Slimline. I can't decide ugh!

One of my gripes with the Slimline (I don't own it, but am seriously considering it) is that it seems to sit sooo high, partially due to leaving room for one of their fancy table slides between rack and roof.

BUT... I talked to the company directly, and it turns out you CAN buy an alternative means of mounting that skips the single-piece-per-side rail, instead using more traditional mounts that CAN sit lower. If I go with the Slimline II, I'll opt for that route to get a lower profile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom