Roof Rack Recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One of my gripes with the Slimline (I don't own it, but am seriously considering it) is that it seems to sit sooo high, partially due to leaving room for one of their fancy table slides between rack and roof.

BUT... I talked to the company directly, and it turns out you CAN buy an alternative means of mounting that skips the single-piece-per-side rail, instead using more traditional mounts that CAN sit lower. If I go with the Slimline II, I'll opt for that route to get a lower profile.

Funny, the solid piece mounts are one of the main reasons I'm leaning toward the Front Runner.

Funny, the solid piece mounts are one of the main reasons I'm leaning toward the Front Runner.

I have no doubt the solid piece mounts are quieter than the older style mounts...but I would like easier access to the cross bars from beneath them. Just a personal preference thing I guess.

For those running the slimline II how is the wind noise?

I'm very torn between the Gobi and the Slimline. I kinda like the look of Gobi and how they also throw in a ladder, but I really like the modularity of the Slimline. I can't decide ugh!
The only wind noise from a Slimline II is that the wind deflector does push some wind down on the sun roof. I'm not going to lie, on the highway, I close the sunroof cover, that makes it completely go away. I will say I closed the sunroof cover on the highway before I had rack at all because I thought it was too loud.

For the mounting brackets, they are a two piece design, not one. They have a bracketing design the makes the brackets solid, but with it being a two piece, you can half rack it if you want. Which I will do when I have an off-road trailer.

For height, I've had both the older leg design and the newer design. Strength wise, I'm not worried with either. I went with the new taller design because I wanted the table. The table, while expansion, is awesome to have that, always easily available, never other items around it, never needing to strap it down, and can be packed at anytime, since it is under the rack, and obviously doesn't take up any space.

If you don't want a table, get the older bracket design, the modularity of a Slimline is just too good to pass up. Unless the rack is more for looks, and I don't mean that in a bad way, it's a legitimate reason for things, because other racks do look better, the Slimline is more of a workhorse than a show horse.

The only wind noise from a Slimline II is that the wind deflector does push some wind down on the sun roof. I'm not going to lie, on the highway, I close the sunroof cover, that makes it completely go away. I will say I closed the sunroof cover on the highway before I had rack at all because I thought it was too loud.

For the mounting brackets, they are a two piece design, not one. They have a bracketing design the makes the brackets solid, but with it being a two piece, you can half rack it if you want. Which I will do when I have an off-road trailer.

For height, I've had both the older leg design and the newer design. Strength wise, I'm not worried with either. I went with the new taller design because I wanted the table. The table, while expansion, is awesome to have that, always easily available, never other items around it, never needing to strap it down, and can be packed at anytime, since it is under the rack, and obviously doesn't take up any space.

If you don't want a table, get the older bracket design, the modularity of a Slimline is just too good to pass up. Unless the rack is more for looks, and I don't mean that in a bad way, it's a legitimate reason for things, because other racks do look better, the Slimline is more of a workhorse than a show horse.
Wait a minute - you mean Bud isn't working on a rack for you that will double as a full roll-cage?? ;) (couldn't resist!)

Wait a minute - you mean Bud isn't working on a rack for you that will double as a full roll-cage?? ;) (couldn't resist!)
Haha, trust me, we had a good, semi-serious talk about an exo cage!

Honestly, I don't think even bud could make a better rack than a Slimline. And it's because of the massive accessory attachments that front Runner offers. That company invested in a huge inventory that would be hard for other to even get close to offering. Just look a Eezi-Awn, they offer like an awning, and table, and a tie down point, that's it.

Bud is making me a wind deflector for the front of the Slimline that will look like the front of a Prinsu, so that will take care of me closing the sun roof shade while on the highway.

Bud is making me a wind deflector for the front of the Slimline that will look like the front of a Prinsu, so that will take care of me closing the sun roof shade while on the highway.

FWIW I made my deflector out of a $50 piece of ~50" wide ABS plastic and a dremel. Started with cardboard (since it was easy to trim) and once I was happy I just traced it out. Took me about two hours to get cut and shaped right.

FWIW I made my deflector out of a $50 piece of ~50" wide ABS plastic and a dremel. Started with cardboard (since it was easy to trim) and once I was happy I just traced it out. Took me about two hours to get cut and shaped right.
Very cool, that's what I did on my FJ. With trees hitting the front of it though, it didn't last long. I figured maybe some aluminum might work better, I don't know, more of a test.

Old thread...but still looking at RRs.

I don’t want to put a lot of stuff on top, but do want the platform for some side lighting, possible shower/privacy shroud, possible solar onset as low as possible between side rails... possible awning mount.

None of those require a tall rack, and I will be avoiding loading heavy or tall crap up there bc I do tippy stuff. No intention of RTT, no fires, no fuel, no water or boxes. So for me...low profile is attractive.

Just wish FrontRunner would lower their profile with minimal height...and I’d go with them. Might eventually give in...or give up and just screw some stuff into my stock rack.

I don’t want to put a lot of stuff on top, but do want the platform for some side lighting, possible shower/privacy shroud, possible solar onset as low as possible between side rails... possible awning mount.

None of those require a tall rack, and I will be avoiding loading heavy or tall crap up there bc I do tippy stuff. No intention of RTT, no fires, no fuel, no water or boxes. So for me...low profile is attractive.

Just wish FrontRunner would lower their profile with minimal height...and I’d go with them. Might eventually give in...or give up and just screw some stuff into my stock rack.

I love my pioneer Rhino Rack system.

tbxp9RdQRnGvXWwr0VByUA.jpg

69HiyPivR96n3D0wGghcXA.jpg

JMlZrLJhTo6uJYZ0C9osLQ.jpg

@Markuson, I bought @codyaustin5 ’s Prinsu rack, and have been very pleased with it. While some have been bothered by th mounting setup, and I agree it could be better, I’ve found it on the whole to be of top notch build and sturdy as can be. Definitely lower profile than the FrontRunner, the rack I was actually considering before Cody’s became available. The Prinsu is worth a second look.

@Markuson, I bought @codyaustin5 ’s Prinsu rack, and have been very pleased with it. While some have been bothered by th mounting setup, and I agree it could be better, I’ve found it on the whole to be of top notch build and sturdy as can be. Definitely lower profile than the FrontRunner, the rack I was actually considering before Cody’s became available. The Prinsu is worth a second look.

Ya, I probably should have bought Cody’s when I had the chance some time back... 😬

Glad it went to a fellow muddier like you.

We have the Frontrunner and we are really happy with it. It is rock solid and very well made. We also have their (nice and very reasonably priced awning) installed:

As far as the height goes, I am not sure how much lower they can make it due to the antenna:

Seems like they could probably go another 1/2", but it doesn't leave much room. Frankly, I like being able to reach under easily. You can see under the rotopax that I have tie-down rings installed under. I like this better than putting them on top.

The only downside is the price of accessories. They are good quality and arguably worth it, but I don't think I could spend $60 for a spade mount. Luckily, the groove size is pretty standard and its easy to build your own mounts. I just used light-bar brackets which cost $11:

Just an FYI, they were at Overland Expo and gave out cards for 10% off anything, including racks.

Honistly I use a Yakama rail grab with 66” round bars. I carry: skis, bikes, 17’ canoe, 14’ duck boat, double rocket boxes, dip nets,... best part is it goes on and off in ~5-10 min.

I have the Gobi stealth and I really like it. Be aware that the average weight for most aftermarket racks is around 75lbs. At this stage in your build though you may not feel it.

I like both Rhino rack pioneer roofrack and Frontrunner Slimline II. There is no lowprofile roofrack because the platform need to clear the roofantenna. As for wind fairing, both Rhino rack and Frontrunner has good solution. The newer Frontrunner slimline ii wind fairing looks awesome.

We have the frontrunner on our LX and really like it. I like all the available attachments for it, although many are pricey and not worth it imo. The 2 we have bought are the ladder brackets to hold our telescoping ladder in place and the kayak/canoe mounting brackets. It does a great job of securing the canoe with minimal effort.

I have the Gobi stealth and I really like it. Be aware that the average weight for most aftermarket racks is around 75lbs. At this stage in your build though you may not feel it.

I definitely would feel that as I feel whether there is water in my jerry cans or not when blasting through the desert or even on the highway—though less so now that I switched back to 2724s..

I mostly want the shortest rack I can find that will still allow easy side-mounts for lights, shower shroud and possible solar.

Some of the alternatives seem to have thin mesh or skinny wire-like rails. Hoping for something flat on the sides for easy attachments that don’t rely on dealing with tubes.

Would also like a top that would easily support my hopping up there with a board...so the sparse crossbars on some rule them out.

So wish FR would offer their old, lower mounts...

Perhaps diy with the aluminum channel? Make it the dimensions you want and it’s easy to attach to

Perhaps diy with the aluminum channel? Make it the dimensions you want and it’s easy to attach to

Ya...In the back of my mind I think think I’ll eventually end up with a Front-Runner.

My new goofy thought is...maybe with a big solar panel inset and nearly no crossmembers...with room for a panel to sit lower than the top height so that I can still mount side items, and maybe temporarily throw a couple crossmembers when I want to throw kayaks up top for local use. Might end up being the Front-Runner’s extra height that ends up enabling such a goofy idea. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom