Roof Rack Recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My Gamiviti is less than an inch taller than stock. Pretty sure it’s shorter than the frontrunner. With gussets on the outside bars and a full mesh grid up to it’s been easy to bolt stuff to it. There aren’t “factory” mounts for awnings is etc but so far I’ve been able to mount shovels, maxtrax, kayak racks, and rotopax pretty easily. Tim at Gamiviti can customize it as well for you if you want special mounting points, as he did for me by putting the light bar tabs forward

Ya...In the back of my mind I think think I’ll eventually end up with a Front-Runner.

My new goofy thought is...maybe with a big solar panel inset and nearly no crossmembers...with room for a panel to sit lower than the top height so that I can still mount side items, and maybe temporarily throw a couple crossmembers when I want to throw kayaks up top for local use. Might end up being the Front-Runner’s extra height that ends up enabling such a goofy idea. :)

So are you saying that you would fabricate a mount for the solar that fits in the cross member channels? Or a little lower so that you could slide extra cross members in as required and the cross members would sit above?

This is actually a pretty interesting idea.

Here is another thought. You could get the sliding table mount that fits under the rack and fabricate the solar mount so that you could slide it out. A panel is probably about the same depth as the table and it would be easy to fit.

Then you can keep enough cross members and be able to get more juice when parked.

So are you saying that you would fabricate a mount for the solar that fits in the cross member channels? Or a little lower so that you could slide extra cross members in as required and the cross members would sit above?

Here is another thought. You could get the sliding table mount that fits under the rack and fabricate the solar mount so that you could slide it out. A panel is probably about the same depth as the table and it would be easy to fit.

Then you can keep enough cross members and be able to get more juice when parked.

Front runner table mount not a drawer slide. Maybe add some lockable accuride drawer slide to make the solar panel slide in/out. Tilting slide will be perfect.

I don't have a need for a roof rack, but purely from a looks perspective, I like Dissent Offroad's 200 rack. I like the way the sides follow the lines of the vehicle. The other racks look too modular to me. Like the company designed a rack and just changed the footprint and mounting hardware to fit each vehicle. I don't have a rack, so I can't comment on the function of any of them.

I suggest using flexible solar panels. They weigh ~2#, are super thin, and you could easily mount them to any rack, or just throw it in the truck and pull it out and angle it towards the sun when you set up.

FWIW I have 350W of glass solar panels on my travel trailer (two 2'x5' panels which weigh about 60# total with my custom tilt mounts) mounted flat and I get at peak about 175-180W of power. In my experience you'll get about half the rated power, so maybe 50W at peak from 1 flexible panels which is about 3Ah @ 14.6V. If you're trying to recharge a 100Ah AGM battery from ~50% you'll need 16 hours of full sun (actually more since you need to get through the bulk and absorption phases). Since that's not feasible you need more panels, but they won't fit on your roof.

Front runner table mount not a drawer slide. Maybe add some lockable accuride drawer slide to make the solar panel slide in/out. Tilting slide will be perfect.

I see. I thought it had a sliding mechanism. In that case, you could easily use some L brackets and accuride slides. Good slides aren’t cheap but you could probably put together a nice tilting setup with off the shelf parts for 100$.

Good luck with that. I am local to them in Denver and I still waited 8 months for a ladder for my 200. Had to call multiple times and it became more pain than it was worth. I went with a prinsu rack and couldn't be happier.

Glad to see at least one Prinsu owner here... I need the lowest rack possible on the 200 as I still want the truck WITH Alu-Cab G III to fit in the garage. We were blessed when we bought this current house as the garage doors are 8'

My 80 Series on 33+ with 2.5" of lift, cross bars, Alu-Cab GIII with 2 Solar Panels still fits with about an inch to spare. Unfortunately I think the 200 will sit taller ...

my lifted 200 barely fits in my standard garage. it has a pretty low profile. lower than the stock rack with thule bars for sure.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Prinsu and saw this box staring at me. I hate when i see these boxes because it makes me think there's always a coupon out there.

Do these things ever go on sale or anyone have a coupon to share?

1566489752308.png

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Prinsu and saw this box staring at me. I hate when i see these boxes because it makes me think there's always a coupon out there.

Do these things ever go on sale or anyone have a coupon to share?

View attachment 2064394

Black Friday they have a sale. I know they pass out codes at events every now and then too. I was the guinea pig for the original 200 Prinsu prototype and plan to buy another one. Don't really have a need until November so patiently waiting as well for a discounted purchase opportunity.

Black Friday they have a sale. I know they pass out codes at events every now and then too. I was the guinea pig for the original 200 Prinsu prototype and plan to buy another one. Don't really have a need until November so patiently waiting as well for a discounted purchase opportunity.

What are we talking, 10%?

Dang. That’s over $250 savings.

Glad to see at least one Prinsu owner here... I need the lowest rack possible on the 200 as I still want the truck WITH Alu-Cab G III to fit in the garage. We were blessed when we bought this current house as the garage doors are 8'

My 80 Series on 33+ with 2.5" of lift, cross bars, Alu-Cab GIII with 2 Solar Panels still fits with about an inch to spare. Unfortunately I think the 200 will sit taller ...

I have the Prinsu and I like it a lot no regrets. Tight to the roof line it looks great and versatile can easily configure it to fit your hauling needs. Yes the hardware bolts for the bars has weathered after two years but easily replaceable when I find some black stainless to replace them with this winter. My next favorite was the Rhino Rack but Prinsu was able to get it in time for a trip I needed it for so it worked out.

I have the Prinsu and I like it a lot no regrets. Tight to the roof line it looks great and versatile can easily configure it to fit your hauling needs. Yes the hardware bolts for the bars has weathered after two years but easily replaceable when I find some black stainless to replace them with this winter. My next favorite was the Rhino Rack but Prinsu was able to get it in time for a trip I needed it for so it worked out.

Thanks - I was about to put one on the 80, but was able to get my setup an inch lower with a Alu-cab bar and Frontrunner feet. I've seen that the hardware is not as robust as we would like, but I agree that I would also replace with some black stainless from McMaster Carr... I'll hope to see a Black Friday Sale !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom