[CLOSED] Alu-Innovations Troopy Pop Top Group Buy Interest (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

prwillard2

SILVER Star
Threads
Final Payment made:
1. @prwillard2 - West Coast Port (Los Angeles) Local Pickup
2. @theglobb - East Coast Port (Charleston) Local Pickup
3. @JK FW West Coast Port (Los Angeles) Local Pickup
4. @pdxtroopy West Coast Port ((Los Angeles) Pickup/Ship?
5. @bulletsmith East Coast Port (Charleston) Pickup/Ship?
6. @Owyhee Jackass West Coast Port (Los Angeles) Pickup
7. @likethewheel West Coast Port (Los Angeles) Local Pickup
8. @seanroe1 East Coast Port (Charleston) Local Pickup
9. @LCMoneyPit West Coast Port (Los Angeles) Local Pickup?

Deposit Payment received by Cassiem:
7. @likethewheel West Coast Port (Los Angeles) Local Pickup
8. @seanroe1 East Coast Port (Charleston) Local Pickup
9. @LCMoneyPit West Coast Port (Los Angeles) Local Pickup?

Build Sheets Submitted to me, pending payment:
7. @Universe953 East Coast Port (Charleston) Pickup/Ship?
8. @likethewheel West Coast Port (Los Angeles) Local Pickup
9. @seanroe1 East Coast Port (Charleston) Local Pickup
10. @LCMoneyPit West Coast Port (Los Angeles) Local Pickup?

Fellow troopy owners. Have been in touch with Cassiem at Alu-Innovations regarding a group buy for the pop top that they offer.

Several months ago when I first inquired, he said Have confirmed that the price is 89.9k Rand (~$4800 USD) for each tent. Anything more than 1 would result in a 15% discount (76,415 Rand, ~$4100), 6 or more, would result in a 20% discount (71,920 Rand, ~$3855). I've attached the pricing sheet for anyone who seems to think I'm lying regarding pricing. South African currency is the Rand. 100 Rand = $5.35

Would more than likely get container shipping, which would be cheaper than the ~$1700 USD air freight shipping for one tent he did back in March of 2023.

Have added pictures of the new "hi top" version of the alu-innovations top. 50mm taller than the regular version. "Hi top" version is 5000 Rand more ($265). This allows for more bedding but I hate the way it looks personally. Option remains to get the standard or the "hi top".

Trying to see if there is any interest in a group buy for this product. ~$4000 for the tent with discount, $500 shipping (I expect for container shipping), and other $1500-2500 for install (or do it yourself for cheaper) and you're looking at around $6500 total for an entire pop top conversion on your troopy. AluCab is $9000 for the tent alone, plus install costs.

Options:
1. Color:
a. White
b. Black
c. Beige

2. Top Size:
a. "Standard"
b. "High Top" Approx 50mm taller than regular version. 5000 Rand price increase (~$265)

3. Bed Design:
a. Small bed section opens to rear (similiar to alu-cab)
b. Entire bed section moves up on hinged platform, access still available to bed through inside of Troopy.

Andrew St. Pierre White discusses his likes/dislikes between the Alu-Innovations vs Alu-Cab (TL;DR: he likes both seemingly equally as well) here:

Alu-Innovations Price Sheet.png

e07961d5-5bbd-41bb-b6dd-298520206ccd.jpeg

d20cf38d-a679-41ee-b4ea-4b2f4b24b378.jpeg

4f4e9848-cfa5-4a8b-b03f-ec19be1720be.jpeg

375f5cff-3700-4521-9a5f-e87e9e9bea18.jpeg

Last edited:
Have confirmed with Cassiem that the prices and discounts above are currently still valid until 1 December 2023, at which their prices will increase. I'll be looking to place this order no later than 15 November, so gives everyone a couple of months to confirm/deny if they're in.

Will work to get a shipping quote, but probably won't know exactly how much it is until we know a total number of units. Shipping would more than likely be via container to the West Coast (Los Angeles) as I'm based in SoCal.

65k Rand (~$3520) deposit up front, the rest due before shipping.

Attachments

• LC78 Roof Conversion Process pdf.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 48
Hmmmmmmmm, there is so much rust in the roof of my troopy. I would much rather put this on top than repair the thin roof… if we get more people in on this I’d sell my Mercedes 300D wagon. Anyone else on board to get that higher discount?

Of course my only issue is it’s on the other side of America lol, if anyone else on the east coast (or anywhere in between) is interested I would be willing to drive out to CA, pick up multiple pop tops, and drop them off on my way back to NC.

Hmmmmmmmm, there is so much rust in the roof of my troopy. I would much rather put this on top than repair the thin roof… if we get more people in on this I’d sell my Mercedes 300D wagon. Anyone else on board to get that higher discount?

Of course my only issue is it’s on the other side of America lol, if anyone else on the east coast (or anywhere in between) is interested I would be willing to drive out to CA, pick up multiple pop tops, and drop them off on my way back to NC.
That was a question I have, what’s the shipping going to be from Cali to Ga.

Whatever you want to pay me plus split some gas! I wonder how many I could fit in the bed of my Isuzu pup?

@prwillard2 any idea the size/dimensions of the packages they would come in?

Whatever you want to pay me plus split some gas! I wonder how many I could fit in the bed of my Isuzu pup?

@prwillard2 any idea the size/dimensions of the packages they would come in?
Not sure on size right now, trying to determine the exact dimensions of the packages time now. You can have the front bench seats too if you come out this way.:rofl: they're still in the plastic so no college kids spilling their barley pops on the fabric.
Depending on how many tents and where they are, I may be able to convince Cassiem to ship two different loads to the different coasts.
Anyone else on board to get that higher discount?

Have had several people mention they were interested, but no one fully vested yet time now. We've got about another month before I'd want to start the ordering process, so will let people consolidate some funds. Several questions about the additional height that would be added by the conversion vs the stock roof.
Hmmmmmmmm, there is so much rust in the roof of my troopy.
I have holes in the roof of my troopy as well, this is probably a better solution than repairing my roof (which has a bunch of flex seal sprayed on it to stop leaks time now).

End of the day, I WILL be making an order by the end of November before prices go up. I'd love for someone to also get in with me so we both save 15%.

End of the day, I WILL be making an order by the end of November before prices go up. I'd love for someone to also get in with me so we both save 15%.
Regardless of what happens, thank you for pointing out the deal. It’s something I’m gonna do at some point down the line. Why not just get it now for cheaper? I’ll be thanking myself later.

However, the east coast is a lot closer to South Africa than Cali is. Don’t know if the 15% would offset my gas expenses driving to Cali and back. That being said, if anyone between each coast of the US, is reading this and interested I would be more than happy than to drive out there and drop pop tops off along the way. Obviously if you split the gas costs with me. The more people on board, the cheaper splitting the gas would be, etc etc.

This is also assuming the packages are small enough to fit in the bed of a truck, able to be properly secured, and have a tarp over them, etc

as to size question, measure your roof and add 3-6" all around for packaging should get you close, unless the manufacturer stacks them together and put them in one box, then you will probably have to deal with bare units?

Please DM me with details. We are in!! Will we be able to pick a color? Where will they come in? (port)
Believe the color is white, but will confirm if they can come in other colors. What color do you want?

Expect them to come to the into the west coast. Probably Los Angeles.

I'd be interested, but I'm over in NC/SC too. Might be too expensive to ship it back across the country, but would like to keep following in case that changes.

I'd be interested, but I'm over in NC/SC too. Might be too expensive to ship it back across the country, but would like to keep following in case that changes.
The more people we get on board, the more likely I am to run the Pony Express. Except my noble steed is an Isuzu Pup and I’d be delivering something much more cool than mail.

The roof of my troopy is about 110 inches long, the bed of my zupup is 95 inches long, with the tailgate down.

Width of the troopys roof is 53 inches wide, my zupups bed is 56 inches wide. It would be close with the width, could just put them in sideways. All depends on what the packages dimensions would be.

Or if we get enough people on board, then just make 2 orders for each coast. And everyone wins with the 15% cut and no crazy cross country shipping costs. Or fuel costs for my noble steed. (Hint hint, cough cough, probably the better option)

Last edited:
Tagged those interested in the first post. Looks like several on the west coast, several on the east. Could probably do split shipping to each coast once we figure out how many are formally in.

I am formally in, aslong as we can get separate shipping to the east coast. Would be sweet to get that 20% discount lol

Have parts ordered for my Mercedes wagon, Getting here in a week or so, I’ll get it in the condition I want it in to sell. And list it

Please put me down as interested in a top for my 89 FJ75. I'm West Coast near Seattle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom