Builds Rocklander Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m looking forward to seeing your Drifta setup! They certainly offer a nice solution.

The painted trim pieces look great.

Just revisited this thread from beginning to end...again. Great build, and full of useful / helpful information, thanks for sharing. One thing I noticed....you started off with Slee sliders, then on to Bud Built. What happened to the Slee metal?

Just revisited this thread from beginning to end...again. Great build, and full of useful / helpful information, thanks for sharing. One thing I noticed....you started off with Slee sliders, then on to Bud Built. What happened to the Slee metal?
It’s on @Reckless 200. They live on protecting him from the onslaught of city drivers.

I just needed something that deflected less, with a kicker, and all around stronger as I realized I couldn’t let go of my rock crawling passion. I tired to go more overlander, but it only lasted 6 months before I got the itch again. That’s why I changed the tread name to Rocklander.

Last edited:
The Slee sliders are pretty good replacement for factory plastic step IMHO. I like its subtle design, it is strong but the bud built and white knuckle sliders look more stout to me. They serve my purpose as the factory plastic step really has to go. Also was hoping it will offer some protection/armour in a t-bone style crash.

@Taco2Cruiser , old habits die hard, i guess >.< Thanks for the reply, was wondering if they were available. Glad to hear they live on on @Reckless 200. Slee and Bud Built sliders are the two on my radar, I appreciate both of your impressions on the products. Sounds like I can’t go wrong either way.

Need more info on the Drifta setup. I thinking of re-doing my storage with their stuff too.
Absolutely, but I think pictures will help so much more than words.

I just felt that a couple drawers with a fridge on one was not that helpful for me. Also, I’ve taken years to find what th best kit for me is, and I had the drawers sized to fit that particular equitpement that I will keep for the life of this truck.

I feel all too often people buy something because it looks to offer something, but they don’t stop to thing how that product integrates with what they already have, and their lifestyle.

That’s where I like Drifta, because if you need it taller, longer, smaller, fridge on left/right, a table in there or not, hidden water tanks or secure storage. I mean list goes on and on to what they can do. Really your imagination is the limit.

Some people don’t want to think that much, which is fine. But I knew exactly what I wanted, and only Drifta was able to help me with it.

Plus their drawers don’t use metal slides, so I gain 2” more storage per drawer over the rest of the industry (which is HUGE), and its lighter and less potential to break.

But time will tell, and I’ll be sure to share all th good and bad (I like sharing the bad) with everyone.

Word. I'm even thinking of going super simple.
Just a bunch of alu-boxes.
But either way I agree, conventional slides take up a lot of space.
I’m going with a couple alu boxes (23x23x9.5) on the roof, but that will allow me to take sleeping systems, and just toss them in. No rolling, or strapping anything down. I’ll put them on a quick disconnect mount so I can park my truck in the garage, quickly secured boxes, run them in the roof while overlanding, quickly take them off when at off-road parks, and can use them for regular family trips.

My philosophy with packing is:
If I have to move even one thing to get to something else, it’s a bad load plan.

So boxes in the back, if you have a box, under a box, you have to move something to get to something. And then annoyance begins...

I want to prepare so good, that I don’t have to plan for trips, and can maximize layziness.

This week on As the Taco Turns...
More tan plastic turns black and beach driving makes people smile.

BE3A28F1-D181-46C2-9405-E1172CFAF5AC.jpeg
5A026ABE-EF3B-49E0-8A39-2A718561EB14.jpeg
8535FA9D-E9A2-4A8C-A514-DB0E1D7B7473.jpeg

Last edited:
I know integrating products into our vehicles makes setup at camp easier, but it makes it hard to created a heated kiddie pool!
D0E2EEEF-83AD-4D4F-A92C-4D065BDB26CA.jpeg

Side note, the Kariba. It is a very simple, reliable system. However it cannot handle full blast of itself in water heater mode for more than 3 minutes. The burners start to deform the Kariba itself quite quickly. This makes heating a 5 gallon water can be right at the edge of sanity for the build quality this little thing has.

Honestly, I’d expect this unit to handle its own power output for $700.

26C40321-EB28-4A76-80C5-DBAA1F187572.jpeg

Last edited:
Side note, the Kariba. It is a very simple, reliable system. However it cannot handle full blast of itself in water heater mode for more than 3 minutes. The burners start to deform the Kariba itself quite quickly. This makes heating a 5 gallon water can be right at the edge of sanity for the build quality this little thing has.

Honestly, I’d expect this unit to handle its own power output for $700.

It may be worth contacting Equipt. I've reliably heated a 5 gallon water jug in 20 minutes using compressed isobutane/propane canisters with no signs of deformation. I have the single burner unit, though, and don't run it on full blast.

Last edited:
It may be worth contacting Equipt. I've reliably heated a 5 gallon water jug in 20 minutes using compressed isobutane/propane canisters with now signs of deformation. I have the single burner unit, though, and don't run it on full blast.

That might be the difference. Mine is good at constant 20% power, it’s when the dual burners are kickin’ 100% and acting like a jet fighter that over does it.

I might give Equipt a call, I didn’t get it from them though, so I don’t know if they can do much for me.

I’ve already straitened the metal back out, so other than some not shinny stainless steel, it’s fine.

I just know now to not go ham on this little thing in the future.

But bring down the burn output, set the shower head to low flow, oh yeah, it will make a kiddie pool feel like success!

Got all the old looking fake wood out. I’ve decided to go a different direction, so I guess we’ll see how it turns out this week.
805B90D4-79C1-4894-ACE1-135DDD78D96B.jpeg

Last edited:
I heard if you wrap it in carbon fiber vinyl, you gain 5hp to the wheels.
100% correct.

But I do live my life a quarter mile at a time.

Last edited:
I heard if you wrap it in carbon fiber vinyl, you gain 5hp to the wheels.

Heh. :)

On the other hand...the interior is where you spend about 70% of your wakeful hours on long overlanding trips. And all that time...you are looking at your interior. Might as well do what you can to make it feel RIGHT as can be!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom