Builds Rocklander Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Heh. :)

On the other hand...the interior is where you spend about 70% of your wakeful hours on long overlanding trips. And all that time...you are looking at your interior. Might as well do what you can to make it feel RIGHT as can be!
No question about it sir. I didn’t get the platinum edition of the Tundra because that stuff doesn’t matter to me. Hahaha.

I like clean vehicles. I think it is my background. Growing up in custom shop where “perfect” was the bare minimum. You can tell a lot about people from their vehicle.

I enjoy going on harder trails, with a better looking vehicle, with less “mods” plastered over it... and making it look easy. I like the little things that make something just a little bit more special. I’m also a little under the weather right now. Just don’t have the energy to do big projects. But painting (and all the tedious work that goes with it) is very therapeutic for me. I’m sure some hate the slow work of this. But those people are usually in need of some macho rush. I’ve done the macho rush for too long, time to slow down, relax, and paint some plastics.

And with that. I was thinking back to a beautiful ‘68 Cadillac I built long ago. You see, the most classic vehicles are ones where the outside demeanor makes its appearance on the inside of the vehicle also. So thinking about how much I hate fake things. I felt changing the wood tone was not really getting what I wanted in the end. It was more accepting the interior as it was. So the outside was Line-X’ed...
83B936C0-82D8-4B08-96F3-18A5304A5C88.jpeg

Then why not the inside?

It’s just enough rough to complement the “luxury” interior. The rough bed liner up against clean leather is like a sweat country girl shooting 3 fingers of Wild Turkey.

I did repaint that silver bezel around the shift, but I’m going to play with turning the interior into a darker titanium.

I’ll take some real pictures once reassembled, but this is kinda the feel it will be. I’ve still got some very light sanding to do to the edges. That will give all the pieces a really sharp look without being obvious.
6D582E88-7D56-4F4E-8BDC-8F5517AF2D8F.jpeg

I can't wait to see the pics of this all finished. I want to eliminate the fake wood, as well. This just reminded me to buy the steering wheel leather wrap off of Amazon...

B3D141C1-642E-46EA-93C7-497D77F86202.jpeg

Tanking a very different trip this time around. Barrowed and Airstream 19’ and running all throughout New England for three weeks.

I’m not going to lie, these things are too fun. Even for a die hard off roader.

what paint did you use for the trim? Any prep necessary? Also, can you post some more complete interior shots as I have the tan interior and have been contemplating converting. I installed the oem black carpet floor mats and they made a ton of difference.
Sorry for the delay.
To paint black, I use all SEM products.

First, SEM soap 39362
Second, SEM plastic & leather prep 38353
Third, SEM plastic adhesion promoter 39863
Fourth, SEM satin black color coat 15243

For the black, I spray 4-6 light coats and different angles of complete even coverage.

I had to stop the process as I’m having a pretty big transition in life right now. Retiring and maybe switching gears entirely. So I don’t have any impressive pictures to illustrate where this interior is going right now. Sorry.

Thanks for the reply. Best of luck with whatever the future holds

I’ve now seen what happens to a wrap when you don’t wash your truck regularly. Now I’m looking at Line-X, thanks to you. Hahaha. Did you use Line X Ultra or something else?

If you go with Ultra, post up the results. That's what I'm planning on using on the Troopy.
I’ve got quotes in the bag already. Waiting for the rear links to go in and I’ll be taking it in. But I’m doing the Tundra first. The LC wrap still looks fine. Scratched to hell but fine.

So... the outside is Spall protection. It’s stuff we would spray on buildings in Iraq and Afghanistan to keep the building together when big ‘ol IEDs would go off by them. It’s clear and I mixed the factory paint into it and that’s why my end result is insanely shinny. I had access to VOC exceptions, so that is something you won’t be able to do.

But if you look at my interior, that is platinum. It will look the exact same as ultra. Platinum is just overkill. And not really worth it.

When you spray your truck with ultra, it will be only a little less sparkly than mine. Still look good. But it’s the craftsmanship of the worker that makes the difference. Plus gun itself helps a lot. The gun I sprayed mine with was $80k, not the normal $25k gun.

I’ve seen the work done by the two biggest Line-X guys by you Roy. And while good, I’m not very impressed.

I’m not trying to discourage you, just trying to tell you that it’s definitely an art to spraying a whole truck. Much different than just spraying a bed.

Really, you want to find a guy who is a paint and body guy that got into line-X. Not a line-x guy that got into painting full vehicles.

Last edited:
So... the outside is Spall protection. It’s stuff we would spray on buildings in Iraq and Afghanistan to keep the building together when big ‘ol IEDs would go off by them. It’s clear and I mixed the factory paint into it and that’s why my end result is insanely shinny. I had access to VOC exceptions, so that is something you won’t be able to do.

But if you look at my interior, that is platinum. It will look the exact same as ultra. Platinum is just overkill. And not really worth it.

When you spray your truck with ultra, it will be only a little less sparkly than mine. Still look good. But it’s the craftsmanship of the worker that makes the difference. Plus gun itself helps a lot. The gun I sprayed mine with was $80k, not the normal $25k gun.

I’ve seen the work done by the two biggest Line-X guys by you Roy. And while good, I’m not very impressed.

I’m not trying to discourage you, just trying to tell you that it’s definitely an art to spraying a whole truck. Much different than just spraying a bed.

Really, you want to find a guy who is a paint and body guy that got into line-X. Not a line-x guy that got into painting full vehicles.
That’s awesome info. Do you happen to know anyone in So Cal? I travel for good work. I mean I drove to Redding to get my bumpers.

@Taco2Cruiser where can i buy the front and rear diff lock switches you have?
I got those from ch4x4.com (cruiser heads). But I would check out aironboard.com because they now have a “Toyota Green” that is support to match the factory green we have a lot better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom