RockGoat Version 3RZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Swapped my low pinion ARB for a new HP ARB. Was going to put the LP from the front in the rear to replace the detroit that I can’t stand. However, The job took a lot longer than I expected because I had to grind a few areas to get the diff in. 5.29 LP fit fine, but the 5.29 HP wouldn’t fit at all.

Both sides needed grinding.
IMG_3742.jpeg

IMG_3741.jpeg

Also top and bottom for the gears and carrier
IMG_3744.jpeg

Also addressed my bad inner axle seal. Had the whole chocolate milk on driver side. Hoping this mark (was at the top) was original and wasn’t made when removing the seal. I think I may have boogered it up when putting that out of spec RCV in and out ~10 times late last year.

Fingers crossed the housing isn’t bent
IMG_3740.jpeg

Yeah...........you just gave me flashbacks of finding out I had to grind while I was holding that heavy sucker up trying to stab it. Gonna be nice when you're done. I hope it's not bent too.

Yeah...........you just gave me flashbacks of finding out I had to grind while I was holding that heavy sucker up trying to stab it. Gonna be nice when you're done. I hope it's not bent too.
I went through the same woes today 😂

I got my technique to hoist the diff into place down pretty well by the end of the day, that’s for sure.

So on diff talk - you and I were discussing the detroit a few months ago and I feel like I didn’t articulate my gripe well enough. Here’s a clip of mine to explain.

And here’s a clip of the locker operation.

My assessment is that the roughly 1/32 turn of play or whatever you can see between the collar is translated into about 1/8 of turn when applied through 5.29 gears. In a rig with less deep gearing and with an automatic to absorb the load, and keep the face loaded, it probably isn’t so bad. On dirt in low range it isn’t terrible, but on pavement in high with a manual, I can’t stand it.

You mentioned something along the lines of “if you don’t like it, change it” — that’s exactly what I’m doing right now.

Keep in mind I said that because you seemed on the fence about spending the money for the HP ARB but "Hated" it. Not to be a smart ass. I didn't want to see you regret keeping something you hate on your build.

I had Detroit Lockers on several of my field service trucks. 5 speed trans and 2 speed rears. Big trucks compared to our Yotas. They definitely took some getting used to and could be annoying but I seldom got stuck on job sites. Once or twice in deep sand river beds. Never saw that kind of backlash on any of them. They even had them in both axles of underground loaders at the mine I worked at. I never saw one break. I've seen pictures but never personally.

I'm glad you went with what you really wanted.

To add, I'd like to see if anything is broken in the Detroit. That is a lot of backlash.

Last edited:
Massive day. Towed it to Casper’s Muffler in Diamond springs. They did an excellent job putting the cat between body and cross member and then wrapping behind t case. I went for a flow master. It sounds pretty good. Definitely a little on the loud side for me, but I like it so far. If it gets annoying I’ll swap it later. It sounds really good coming down hills decelerating. Has a nice deep gurgle without popping.

For now, a poorly filmed night run up! Balance shaft delete doesn’t give a bad vibration IMO. I can’t say it doesn’t add much vibration, because I barely drove it before and it was in a different chassis, but there isn’t any bad vibes I felt so far at all.

My PS pump from the donor is shot. Whining like crazy. That’s my next target. Also the damn leak in the timing cover is really annoying me. It’s right behind AC bracket somewhere. I feel like ripping that crap back off may be in my future unfortunately.

Massive day. Towed it to Casper’s Muffler in Diamond springs. They did an excellent job putting the cat between body and cross member and then wrapping behind t case. I went for a flow master. It sounds pretty good. Definitely a little on the loud side for me, but I like it so far. If it gets annoying I’ll swap it later. It sounds really good coming down hills decelerating. Has a nice deep gurgle without popping.

For now, a poorly filmed night run up! Balance shaft delete doesn’t give a bad vibration IMO. I can’t say it doesn’t add much vibration, because I barely drove it before and it was in a different chassis, but there isn’t any bad vibes I felt so far at all.

My PS pump from the donor is shot. Whining like crazy. That’s my next target. Also the damn leak in the timing cover is really annoying me. It’s right behind AC bracket somewhere. I feel like ripping that crap back off may be in my future unfortunately.

If you don’t rebuild it yourself, give Redhead a call. They have done both of our pumps. Highly recommended.

If you don’t rebuild it yourself, give Redhead a call. They have done both of our pumps. Highly recommended.
I'll keep them in mind, but probably will just be upgrading.

My donor was a front end wreck vehicle and when I test drove it I heard the pump whining. I also saw the PS cooler line was cracked and leaking fluid, so I am sure it was ran dry. I think I will still try pulling the reservoir and cleaning the screen out and refilling/testing it. If it truly is shot, which is more than likely, I am considering getting a PSC TC pump since I want to go hydro assist in the near future. I need to look into whether I can run that pump without a ram yet, as I'm not dropping the cash on the whole system at this moment.

Last edited:
I’m stokkkkkked!! Couldn’t resist pulling the PS belt and doing another break in run. She feels great.

Here’s a few of the exhaust routing. Casper’s muffler and hitch in Diamond springs did great. If anyone is in Sac or El dorado county, don’t hesitate to use them.
IMG_3809.jpeg

IMG_3810.jpeg

IMG_3808.jpeg

I'm jealous! I'm no farther along on my swap, but this gives me inspiration to get back at it!
hell yeah, get at it. I am really liking it so far. Took a nice break in drive last week to a local water crossing.
IMG_3865.jpeg

I swapped the Detroit out on Friday for the ARB that was up front - the one I replaced with the HP ARB.
IMG_3880.jpeg

I had checked my OBD reader and saw a pending P0136 which is an O2 sensor #2 code. When reading the voltages of the sensors with just accessory power on sensor 1 read 0.0v and sensor 2 read ~0.74v. Having a new Denso sensor on hand I went to change the rear sensor out… this turned into a damn nightmare. I really should have just plugged the spare in first and read the voltage to confirm it is indeed the sensor and not some wiring issue. The location makes it an absolute bear to turn the 13mm wrench. I can only get about 1/8 turns and the stover style nuts were so tight i think I began to bend the stud. Soooo I started to take out the section of exhaust from the header collector to just after the car off so I can change the sensor on my bench… but it’s a two man job because I need to hold a wrench from the bottom and use an impact from the top.

Super annoyed I’m side lined right now over the smallest task 😂

So probably no progress for me until I can wrangle a friend over.

Last edited:
What's up with that strap around the exhaust and rear spring?

hell yeah, get at it. I am really liking it so far. Took a nice break in drive last week to a local water crossing.
View attachment 3445852

I swapped the detroit out on Friday for the ARB i had up front.
View attachment 3445851

I had checked my OBD reader and saw a pending P0136 which is an O2 sensor code. Having a new Denso sensor on hand I went to change the rear sensor out… this turned into a damn nightmare. The location makes it an absolute bear to turn the 13mm wrench. I can only get about 1/8 turns and the stover style nuts were so tight i think I began to bend the stud. Soooo I started to take out the section of exhaust from the header collector to just after the car off so I can change the sensor on my bench… but it’s a two man job because I need to hold a wrench from the bottom and use an impact from the top.

Super annoyed I’m side lined right now over the smallest task 😂

So probably no progress for me until I can wrangle a friend over.
put a tab or something on the nuts so you can one man that shyt :flipoff2:

vice grips ftw :flipoff2:

What's up with that strap around the exhaust and rear spring?
Just holding Drive line up so it didn’t slip it out. That's the tag end I was keeping out of the way.

put a tab or something on the nuts so you can one man that shyt :flipoff2:

vice grips ftw :flipoff2:
Vice grips are a good idea. By that point in the day I was tired and not thinking straight. I tried to strap the wrench in place around the exhaust but the impact was hammering it off 😐🥴

Last edited:
I know this is late. (I told you I'd get pics a LONG time ago) I started pulling parts off my 88 again so I took pics today of my ghetto-fab battery tray, I mentioned adding the 45 degree supports to tie into your fender. Stopped my inner fenders from cracking.

IMG_20231109_150436045.jpg

IMG_20231109_150417400.jpg

IMG_20231109_150404400.jpg

I know this is late. (I told you I'd get pics a LONG time ago) I started pulling parts off my 88 again so I took pics today of my ghetto-fab battery tray, I mentioned adding the 45 degree supports to tie into your fender. Stopped my inner fenders from cracking.

Hey sorry for the no response -- My son was born last month and I've taken a full hiatus from the truck.

Does that strap go to the rad core support? Looks like a good idea to add some triangulation. I had been driving around with my hood off and watching the battery since I rebuilt the fender support. I noticed it wobbling a little more than I'd like still. I can see it fatigue cracking eventually.

Last edited:
The supports went to the driver side fender. Pretty sure there were existing bolts or bolt holes. If your battery is turned 90 degrees from what I had, the core support should also work. If the coolant bottle isn't there.

Congratulations on the new baby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom