Retrofitting Power Steering Kits (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All -

I was going to put power steering in my mostly stock ‘70 FJ40. I am going with the mini-truck gear box. I was hoping to use an off the shelf kit (Saginaw pump, box mounting bracket, etc). The two options I have found so far are Valley Hybrids and JT Outfitters. Anyone have any good or bad experiences with these kits?

It appears that since I have an older FJ40, I will need to cut the steering column and weld a rag joint to attach to the mini box. Anyone do this? Any tips?

Finally, at least with the JT Outfitters kit, I will need to remove the stock air filter to put in the Saginaw pump. Any recommendations on a smaller aftermarket air filter.

Thanks

I would go with Valley Hybrids. @orangefj45 should be able to tell you everything you need to get his kit up and going.

He is a great vendor and offers beyond great customer service before, during, and after a sale.

X2

I’ve never owned a ‘70. I’d look into putting in a newer steering column (or at least steering shaft) rather than cutting off your column and welding on a rag joint. I know that a rag joint can be safely welded on but, at least in these parts, it isn’t legal.

Now I’m not wanting to open a debate about what the law is... but I don’t want to give the insurance company (which has deep pockets) to screw me if I’m in an accident.

Perhaps someone else can chime in as to how others have done it without welding on a rag joint. Are rag joints available to fit Double D shaft? If so, the steering shaft can likely be machined to match DD dimensions and then the rag joint secured in a legal manner with set screws, lock nuts, etc. For my P/S conversion to a Scout II box, I’ve got a DD U-joint that’ll be secured to my ‘74+ column after it’s machined to match DD.

Hi All -

I was going to put power steering in my mostly stock ‘70 FJ40. I am going with the mini-truck gear box. I was hoping to use an off the shelf kit (Saginaw pump, box mounting bracket, etc). The two options I have found so far are Valley Hybrids and JT Outfitters. Anyone have any good or bad experiences with these kits?

It appears that since I have an older FJ40, I will need to cut the steering column and weld a rag joint to attach to the mini box. Anyone do this? Any tips?

Finally, at least with the JT Outfitters kit, I will need to remove the stock air filter to put in the Saginaw pump. Any recommendations on a smaller aftermarket air filter.

Thanks

JT outfitters sells the rag joint adaptor to fit the early column. I used a bearing to fit between inner column and housing. The downside to using an aftermarket or later steering column is having to sort through the wiring to make sure everything works.

Valley hybrids sells a better power steering pump mount as it doesn’t use the head bolts but mounts to the engine mounts. Georg also sells everything you’ll need to finish up your conversion.

0AEE502E-D715-4FF4-9FCD-88126B79B077.jpeg

Georg is an amazing resource Reach him at @orangefj45. I actually got the info for the necessary parts to install on my 1970 (1973 F engine) from Georg, but never pulled the trigger. He was extremely helpful in sorting out all my details. I can't recommend him enough.

Edit: I also got a bunch of other stuff from him, like a rebuilt tcase. All of which is top notch.

Last edited:
JT outfitters sells the rag joint adaptor to fit the early column. I used a bearing to fit between inner column and housing. The downside to using an aftermarket or later steering column is having to sort through the wiring to make sure everything works.

Valley hybrids sells a better power steering pump mount as it doesn’t use the head bolts but mounts to the engine mounts. Georg also sells everything you’ll need to finish up your conversion.

View attachment 1884423
Realize this an old thread but do you remember the part number for the bearing you used for the column? I am also thinking of doing the mini truck ps and would like a bearing on the end of the column.

Realize this an old thread but do you remember the part number for the bearing you used for the column? I am also thinking of doing the mini truck ps and would like a bearing on the end of the column.

I got mine from Cruiser Outfitters, they have most everything for the conversion.

I can’t flippin’ believe JT Outfitters is still in business. Nothing says, I’m a new Land Cruiser owner like the “I’m ordering XXX from JT Outfitters... comments.”. At least, that’s my take. 🥴

I don’t even know how they show up high enough to be found in Google results. Blows my mind.

I can’t flippin’ believe JT Outfitters is still in business. Nothing says, I’m a new Land Cruiser owner like the “I’m ordering XXX from JT Outfitters... comments.”. At least, that’s my take. 🥴

I don’t even know how they show up high enough to be found in Google results. Blows my mind.

It’s one of the last places I’d order from. Unfortunately, when I needed the adaptor they were the only option. With that being said, it arrived promptly and is well made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom