Restoration FJ62 Ongoing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Man your electrical is so clean. Looking good.

Our of curiosity, what is your EFI relay still controlling with the swap? I trimmed all of that out when I went through mine. The underdash section was time consuming to remove. This is the pile that ended up getting removed.

View attachment 3498540
I have no idea how the old wiring still functions so well. Was areas wrapped up clean underneath tape?

Here’s the Dakota box, and ignition power block. Real happy with the outcome on it. I’ll use this platform to move misc stuff around so not overloading something that was wired in elsewhere like radio, foglights etc

I’ve used quite a bit of various brands of tape and just found the best stuff. 3M Temflex. My harness guy used some on the new relay harness and it is super tough, weathers well and I did a burn test and lasted 30 second without curling up

View attachment 3499115

View attachment 3499116
I tend to find that tape very easily at stores or at some of our suppliers. I was recommended tesa tape and a few others but I definitely like the 3m templex.
You pilots sure keep your stuff in tip top shape. My nephew is one and he is meticulous. I'm jealous

I tend to find that tape very easily at stores or at some of our suppliers. I was recommended tesa tape and a few others but I definitely like the 3m templex.
You pilots sure keep your stuff in tip top shape. My nephew is one and he is meticulous. I'm jealous
For 15 years I got to sit in the hangar and watch our avionics guy upgrade systems in our airplanes. Every wire was white. I used to panic at first. Guy said let this be a life lesson “boy”, take good notes, learn to read schematics and leave things better than you found them

IMG_1239.jpeg

I have no idea how the old wiring still functions so well. Was areas wrapped up clean underneath tape?
Yeah the bundle behind the hvac system under the dash had never been touched on mine (thankfully). It was in great shape considering the age and I was surprised when I peeled the tape off. I took the opportunity to add all of my swap wires to that bundle as well, and ended up using 1.25" split loom to wrap it with after deleting and adding.

Here's a during and after pic.

FDCB443E-4592-4A4D-9B2C-C94AD8768ED6_1_105_c.jpeg

1C61E17C-15B3-4899-99DB-45DBABDE440F_1_105_c.jpeg

I actually had the ewd scanned, enlarged, and printed by a local blueprint printing company and put it on the wall of my garage to make it a little easier to identify wires without squinting. Let me know if you want the file (62 here, too).

Bonus is that while you’re cleaning the wiring up, it’s a perfect time to refurb the hvac. All the foam gaskets crumble as soon as you touch them, and based on the previous 4 pages of this thread I have a feeling you’ll find it hard to not address it...

Yeah the bundle behind the hvac system under the dash had never been touched on mine (thankfully). It was in great shape considering the age and I was surprised when I peeled the tape off. I took the opportunity to add all of my swap wires to that bundle as well, and ended up using 1.25" split loom to wrap it with after deleting and adding.

Here's a during and after pic.

View attachment 3499305

View attachment 3499294
I actually had the ewd scanned, enlarged, and printed by a local blueprint printing company and put it on the wall of my garage to make it a little easier to identify wires without squinting. Let me know if you want the file (62 here, too).

Bonus is that while you’re cleaning the wiring up, it’s a perfect time to refurb the hvac. All the foam gaskets crumble as soon as you touch them, and based on the previous 4 pages of this thread I have a feeling you’ll find it hard to not address it...
We must be on the same wavelength. Sitting at my desk today I was looking at the drawings seeing how to clean them up in PDF but didn’t help much. Those files would be awesome. I appreciate you sharing.

Last night I cleaned up the eyeball vents and put new foam. I’ve got a bit left to do on sealing the hvac but for the most part happy. What took me so long to R&R everything was removing the harness, pulling back to passengers side, wrapping and replumbing but here’s the glovebox.

My Witsend glovebox doesn’t give much so packed tight, making an imaginary square spot of the wires and computer stuff. The pile of wires is what came out just for oil pressure and engine temp. Redo my weight and balance after that.

Last photo is securing the harness from computer to steering.

IMG_1263.jpeg

IMG_1287.jpeg

IMG_1290.jpeg

IMG_1294.jpeg

IMG_1293.jpeg

IMG_1295.jpeg

Last edited:
Note to future self, check your old wiring. The bundle going into combo meter had wear marks across 3 wires across the same spot. 2 repairs and a solder. Some friction tape to add a layer of protection. The temp and oil pressure grounded and have no idea how it works ok now. I’m getting closer and closer to spending spring making a new harness. The shrink doesn’t represent the color coding but rather put some live colors, thanks to @Dubs2017 i can now move forward with some clear prints. All better now hhmmm

IMG_1495.jpeg

Maybe it’s easy to believe but I’m pulling these tie rods off after 3 years. I’ve got a grease fitting on my plugs and made a point to manually inspect and fill once a year. Leary of a grease fitting for knuckles. Sure makes it fast for trip ready. Cleaning the holes so get a look inside. Nice and dry

IMG_1630.jpeg

IMG_1631.jpeg

I’ll just push some pookie on the passenger side. These were out of the box from CCOT, and took them off 2.5 years in. Something off, it was rock hard plastic, destroyed them swapping. All the dimensions are different from Fuji. Few days messing with it. I do know that tightening the adjustment screws on until nothing left and 1/4 back isn’t for me. Very heavy scoring at the base. Also the journals were twice as small as the Fuji. I don’t know what all this means but drives good. Followed the book on tension but still tad loose. These aren’t in order but you can tell what’s what

IMG_1758.jpeg

IMG_1757.jpeg

IMG_1756.jpeg

IMG_1755.jpeg

IMG_1739.jpeg

I forgot to update the outcome of reconditioning the indicators on the dash. Light 2000 grit the frosty lens and sealed with satin clean enamel. Enough said, fantastic. 2nd photo the felt that hangs down to close the gap of steering wheel kinda let go. Used some heavy duty Velcro and reattached. Worked great. The hook side goes to back of cluster and the precut fuzzy little curtain sticks to it and can’t see the Velcro.

IMG_1323.jpeg

IMG_1322.jpeg

IMG_1273.jpeg

IMG_1306.jpeg

Finished up changing all my power cables. I had a problem develop over the last week that made me go back and look at the quality of my lugs on all my power connections. I checked for some resistance and sure as s***. So one by one I removed and crimped all new cables. Tonight added some of the remaining insulated fuel line wrap to main run from back to front. Flak jacket stuff that takes 2 hands to cut with cable cutters. Every time I’m under I look at the vulnerability of the fuel lines so covered them. If stuff can hang up on my differentials why not catch my fuel lines.

View attachment 3431860

View attachment 3431861

View attachment 3431862

View attachment 3431863
Is that wire braiding on the fuel line?

Is that wire braiding on the fuel line?
That’s actually a nylon wrap in shrink tube. I’d been toying with different ways to protect wires. So far the Grote heavy duty with adhesive wins, doesn’t look best but bullet proof. My favorite is friction tape Temflex.

Love what you are doing here!! Lots of great work, and inspiration to start doing some of the same.
Send links, I love restoring stuff. I have no idea what I’m doing but kinda all I think about. Girls in my office say it smells like gas in here Neil must be in his office…

Had a chance to clean up the removed pitman side and passenger ends. Didn’t fail but the boots got dry, and heavy scoring. The tie rod through bolt the castle nut goes on wasn’t straight and allowed boots to have a gap, grease wasn’t staying in. When I tightened the clamps didn’t make sure the were straight. Tightened them at slight angle.

The Joint Fuji I installed were twice the diameter journals. Probably didn’t help the screws were only a 1/4 off of dead right. The current kit I just gutted was a Cool Cruiser, the Fuji guts seemed beefier.

IMG_1844.jpeg

IMG_1845.jpeg

IMG_1847.jpeg

Last edited:
Had a chance to clean up the removed pitman side and passenger ends. Didn’t fail but the boots got dry, and heavy scoring. The tie rod through bolt the castle nut goes on wasn’t straight and allowed boots to have a gap, grease wasn’t staying in. When I tightened the clamps didn’t make sure the were straight. Tightened them at slight angle.

The Joint Fuji I installed were twice the diameter journals. Probably didn’t help the screws were only a 1/4 off of dead right. The current kit I just gutted was a Cool Cruiser, the Fuji guts seemed beefier.

View attachment 3518658

View attachment 3518660

View attachment 3518661
I replaced all of the CCOT tierod ends after about 3K miles because there was play in them... which was unexpected. I replaced with 555 TREs and that solved the problem 100%. I reached out to CCOT to ask if they had any comments like this about their TRE kit, expecting some sort of, hey, if you're not satisfied, we can make it right. Basically I just got "Nope, nobody complains" and peace-fingers... not a dig on CCOT, but I definitely research my parts more thoroughly before I buy a "kit" from some folks that seems to line up with my needs...

I replaced all of the CCOT tierod ends after about 3K miles because there was play in them... which was unexpected. I replaced with 555 TREs and that solved the problem 100%. I reached out to CCOT to ask if they had any comments like this about their TRE kit, expecting some sort of, hey, if you're not satisfied, we can make it right. Basically I just got "Nope, nobody complains" and peace-fingers... not a dig on CCOT, but I definitely research my parts more thoroughly before I buy a "kit" from some folks that seems to line up with my needs...
I bought a carpet set from them 2 years ago, was molded FJ62 premarked for various cuts underside. The heel square in the footwell drivers side was wrong and sewn wrong, it was an awful thing to spend all day to be so black and white. What’s her name said “you got the last one they were discontinued due to fitment issues”. That was so bizarre, an operation that thinks like that won’t be persuaded with constructive argument.. the internals on the rods are s**t.

I needed a speedo cable because I was headed to this years solid axle summit, drove over to pick it up, leaving the next day. I asked if they wanted me to throw some of their cool calendars into Wednesday night raffle, she said not interested but you’re welcome to buy some.

I’m digging on them. S**t service will come back to haunt you.

Lexutech in Fort Worth is on my s**t list also. After months of will start on the wiring next Monday. 3 months later I walked in and fired them, took the keys and left. Only reason I bring this up is both of these shops offered good quality service for years, now they just don’t care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom