replacing AHC globes/accumulators (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hello all!

This weekend I plan on replacing the AHC globes on my 06 LX with 260k with the new ones I bought from Impex. I’m at 8 graduations now H to L.

I did buy, during the 25% off SET Sale:
- all lower F&R shock bushings,
- F&R stabilizer bar bushings, mounting cushions and linkages and bushings front and rear
- Done: Everything to do t-belt, hoses, plugs, cooling system, valve cover gaskets etc, water pump, radiator, fan bracket. Everything I could think of while I was in there involving coolant or hoses or clamps or heater Ts,
- Also plan to do brakes, hubs, wheel bearings, rotors, etc

I’ve been contemplating removing the front shocks entirely to do the upper cushions as well as the lower bushings. I’d need to order the pieces for the upper fronts.

I have a 2.5L tin of new AHC Oil. And 4 weeks ago I flushed out the old oil with a fresh 2.5L tin before deciding to order new globes via Impex.

So, finally, my question…should I remove the AHC shock to replace the upper cushions and insulators while affording me easier access to press the lower shock bushings out and in with my ball joint style press?

Thanks! -Brett

Last edited:
I would definitely vote for removing the entire AHC shock if you're going to be doing globes and therefore a bleed anyway. Assuming you're not too rusted out, I think it's work the extra few buck and time.

Thank you for the insight. No rust, lucky...the e-brake turnbuckle is the worst of it!

I'll have to read up on best practices to remove the shock without introducing air, I have a few bookmarks to check, thank you.
2006_lexus_lx_470-pic-3954401846722862958-1024x768.jpeg
00R0R_eB1X6zrcIkOz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
4306FB76-FB97-4A15-A1C5-D3144530C844.jpeg

Last edited:
1653730947645.png

The SST is probably a crows foot with a specific size.

Looks like AHC fluids are on national backorder (2.5L drums), impex no longer ship these since early May and I'm down to 6.5L of these in my garage.
Local stealership is asking for $70-90+ tax on these (if they have them).

That's not welcome news. I was about to order some to have on hand when I replace the ram bushings.

Looks like the AHC fluid is labelled hazmat. Amayama offers sea shipping for these and 4 cans costed me $35.50 each with a manual shipping quote.

I’ll get them in up to 3 months time.

Replaced my factory globes with new Toyota globes due to increased road transfer. Removal of old globes was a lot easier than expected. I started using penetrating fluid a week ago and the globes turned right out with a 36mm crowfoot and my 16 inch torque wrench. Was kind of surprised the thin 36mm crowfoot was still serviceable after replacing all globes.

EE5AC343-2C82-4831-9C95-7BC748BF8FD4.jpeg

F50B8DF1-D555-4031-9566-9CB211E2D681.jpeg

4E8C65E4-102B-40ED-B817-8EE33D7B7262.jpeg

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten a flashing off button after replacing at 4 globes or just me? Haven't had the easiest time replacing the shocks and globes but now it's all buttoned up. When I started the lx to do the bleed I have a flashing off light. Any help is appreciated as always!

That is the AHC "Off" light? I got it when I did my globes, but I think after a couple ignition on/offs I was able to just press the AHC Off button and turn it back on. I was worried for a minute, but wasn't really a problem in my case. I hope yours is the same.

No luck so far, I'll regroup tomorrow. I changed the shocks and test drove, pulled back in garage and ahc worked better than it has since I have owned the car. Swapped the globes and light flashes now...

One tip I can add from my work so far are the skinny harbor freight pliers. My globes were stamped 6/11/98 and too soft for the fan clutch 36mm. After several hours of a PB bath I used a chisel and hammer at an angle to loosen then finished with the pliers.

20220808_232409.jpg

Has anyone gotten a flashing off button after replacing at 4 globes or just me? Haven't had the easiest time replacing the shocks and globes but now it's all buttoned up. When I started the lx to do the bleed I have a flashing off light. Any help is appreciated as always!

You have air in your system, and it’s making the pump shut down after 30 seconds or so to keep it from overloading. I had the same issue and this is what I did, turn the truck on and try to put the AHC into N. It’ll flash and not raise the truck, let the pump run and you want to crack open the 10mm nut on the outlet line that’s coming out of the pump, just enough so that some air will come out and as soon as you see AHC fluid ooze out close it up. Turn off the truck for a little and turn it back on, put the car in N again and hear the pump run, count to 15 seconds then press fhe AHC off to turn off the pump, wait 15 seconds and press it again to turn on the pump. Do this like 6 times or so until you see the truck starts to raise. Keep the hood open and put a fan blowing towards the pump if you can go try and keep it cool.

After you get into N, do not put it into Lo, it’ll get stuck again. You have to drive the truck around for a bit and let the suspension flex and hopefully that’ll fix it. After driving 100 miles, my AHC raise and lower like it should. Then drop the car into low mode, bleed all 4 globes and you should be good to go. Good luck

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom