Replacement Disc Brake Components (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Generally, I would only use Toyota.

Are the disc brake components OEM or after-market?

Hard to do better than mono block 4 piston calipers. But if you're talking about pads or discs you can get high quality after market replacements if you don't want to spring for OEM.

I have found that when looking at new brake components at the local parts stores the counter guy will price the cheapest they have. I always ask for OE brake pads on all of the vehicles that I do because I have found that they last longer and do not dust as bad as the cheaper components. The cheaper pads with the lifetime warranty are sometimes harder and eat the rotors. I always ask for the best parts when I am doing maintenance for people.

I upgraded the OEM 2-piston calipers on my '77 40 to 1994 4Runner SR5 V6 4-piston calipers. You will need to trim at least one corner on the baking plate due to the increased caliper size. Wheel fitment may also be an issue if you have wheels with more than 3.75" backspace. If you have upgraded wheels/tires to larger and heavier than OEM, it's a good idea to upgrade your brakes. Your life could count on it.

I was planning buying Redline's front disc package with pads. When I finally get around to it. I think they were $200.

I will probably get some grief, but I rebuilt my brakes with the best calipers Rock auto sold. I have about 3k miles and no problems. They even came with pads. They werent expensive, and fit perfect. I still have the original calipers and if I have any issues I may look into rebuilding them.

1977 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER 4.2L L6 Caliper | RockAuto

Remanu OEM calipers are available from yota delears, put new remanu's on my '78

I upgraded the OEM 2-piston calipers on my '77 40 to 1994 4Runner SR5 V6 4-piston calipers. You will need to trim at least one corner on the baking plate due to the increased caliper size. Wheel fitment may also be an issue if you have wheels with more than 3.75" backspace. If you have upgraded wheels/tires to larger and heavier than OEM, it's a good idea to upgrade your brakes. Your life could count on it.

Your 77 not a USDM 40? My 77 has factory 4 pot calipers.

Definitely a USDM 40. I did the mod years ago. Maybe I mis-remembered? I am positive that the SR5 V6 4R calipers and pads are quite a bit larger than the originals and perform very well.

Yeah I'm fairly certain yours would have come with 4 piston units up front. I've only ever seen Land Cruisers with 4 piston calipers on the front axle, 40 through 100 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom