Removing the Roof Rails (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@JBHorne you've been around since the early days of the 200, WTF? You should have known, thou shalt consult Mud (and the FSM)! Sorry for the troubles.

You know what's interesting is after having that bolt clamped down in a vice and beating on the bracket with a mallet, it still won't budge. So there was really no way to avoid this IMO. I thought about using penetrating oil, but there was no way to the threads with all the plastic, rubber washers, etc. New hardware ordered and picking it up today. Hopefully I can find a way to get the new bracket in there up through the headliner.

I hear you, even with the FSM, removing the factory roof rack bolts was a PIA.

Capture.PNG

I've removed a couple of racks, and the thread locker Toyota uses on the 200 is some tough stuff.

I hear you, even with the FSM, removing the factory roof rack bolts was a PIA.

View attachment 1576569

I've removed a couple of racks, and the thread locker Toyota uses on the 200 is some tough stuff.

Thanks! I'm sending this diagram to Front Runner. It should be included in all 200 series kits...

Hi Guys,

well I made this mistake today....

Two of my Lc 200 2017 rack bolt plates fell into the roof....

How do I fix this, or ge them out?

Rgs
Scalci

Hi Guys,

well I made this mistake today....

Two of my Lc 200 2017 rack bolt plates fell into the roof....

How do I fix this, or ge them out?

Rgs
Scalci

I was able to retrieve mine without dropping the headliner with a couple pick tools, a skinny magnet and a flashlight. It did suck though:crybaby:

I was able to retrieve mine without dropping the headliner with a couple pick tools, a skinny magnet and a flashlight. It did suck though:crybaby:

Same. I was able to get the mangled bracket out through the headliner. Ordered replacement from local dealership. Dropped fluorescent string through holes and used hemostats to retrieve with a blacklight. Then tied them into a loop around the bracket. Pulled it into position and used silicone to hold in place with the front runner plate. Worked like a charm, but definately aggravating. Good luck!

I have a gobi rack on order and will hopefully be putting it on within the next month, so I've read and reread this thread to prepare for getting my factory rack off.

Since it's likely going to be cold here in Ohio when I get the rack, I'm going to take it to my detail guy and use his (heated) shop after hours (and will clean the roof and put some wax down before install.

Given he's a detailer, I'm not sure what tools he keeps in his shop so I need to gather what I need and take with me, just in case. What do I need to get the bolts out of the factory rack? Do you guys remember the size nut? Is it a standard socket size? Did you need a large breaker bar to start each?

This may not be hard to figure out once I start taking it off and look, but I thought I could gain my insight from those who've already been through this (as the rest of the thread clearly shows).

Thanks.

I have a gobi rack on order and will hopefully be putting it on within the next month, so I've read and reread this thread to prepare for getting my factory rack off.

Since it's likely going to be cold here in Ohio when I get the rack, I'm going to take it to my detail guy and use his (heated) shop after hours (and will clean the roof and put some wax down before install.

Given he's a detailer, I'm not sure what tools he keeps in his shop so I need to gather what I need and take with me, just in case. What do I need to get the bolts out of the factory rack? Do you guys remember the size nut? Is it a standard socket size? Did you need a large breaker bar to start each?

This may not be hard to figure out once I start taking it off and look, but I thought I could gain my insight from those who've already been through this (as the rest of the thread clearly shows).

Thanks.

It's either a 10, 11, or 12mm. I don't think you need a breaker bar, just a good 3/8 or 1/2 drive socket. You'll need a little 3-6" extension too. I'd also bring some box wrenches.

Also, after you remove the factory rack, there are these black strip of rubber in the channel. I actually never knew two of my longer strips were missing and they were like $60 to replace! The channel was filthy, so it took me a but to clean it out and used a compressor to blow some of the crap out too. I also polished and waxed the roof as well.

Scared the crap out of me doing this, but after reading the threads and just taking the time to do it right, it was a very easy procedure. If I hadn't read the threads though, I know I would have f'd it up. It's just not intuitive to think you have to go slow on each side equally until it's out.

So here's a potential plan, let me know if you see any issues with it.

a.) remove the factory rack at home (where I have tools anyway) making sure to follow the three step procedure to avoid breaking free from the clip.
b.) reinstall the factory bolts (loosely) to "fill" the holes.
c.) drive to detail shop
d.) wash roof... the intention of reinstalling the bolts was to make sure I don't end up getting the headliner wet. wax.
e.) install Gobi rack

Note any fault in the logic about removing the rack then washing?

It's either a 10, 11, or 12mm. I don't think you need a breaker bar, just a good 3/8 or 1/2 drive socket. You'll need a little 3-6" extension too. I'd also bring some box wrenches.

Also, after you remove the factory rack, there are these black strip of rubber in the channel. I actually never knew two of my longer strips were missing and they were like $60 to replace! The channel was filthy, so it took me a but to clean it out and used a compressor to blow some of the crap out too. I also polished and waxed the roof as well.

I realize it's an old thread, but it was pretty much the only one that came up when I searched prior to removing my factory rack.

The dealership where I bought my LC couldn't figure out the parts required to remove the rack. Apparently, a parts search doesn't show all the parts...

Anyway, if you want to remove the rack you will need the following parts (which I sourced thru Beano):

6 x Cover, Roof Drip Moulding
(P/N: 75596-0E040)
6 x Bracket Roof Rack
(P/N: 63185-0R010)
12 x Bolt, w/Washer*
(P/N: 90119-08C47)

View attachment 1041929 View attachment 1041930

* you don't really need these, but my thinking was that I didn't need the beefier bolts from the rack to hold the covers on...
Reference

Well, the curse of the Toyota fastener strikes again. I was installing a Prisnu Designs rack on my 18 LC. Everything was going flawlessly. TOO EASY!!! Easy that is, until I got to the last two bolts. The first fastenerr dropped into the vehicle right away. the second dropped shortly after. SO frustrating!! I am now at a loss. I am unsure what exactly to do so I will call my dealer tomorrow to see if they can rescue me.
2me64p0.jpg

Well, the curse of the Toyota fastener strikes again. I was installing a Prisnu Designs rack on my 18 LC. Everything was going flawlessly. TOO EASY!!! Easy that is, until I got to the last two bolts. The first fastenerr dropped into the vehicle right away. the second dropped shortly after. SO frustrating!! I am now at a loss. I am unsure what exactly to do so I will call my dealer tomorrow to see if they can rescue me.

If you still have at least one bracket try rotating it to see if you can see it through the other hole. You may be able to do that and grab the "dropped" fastener as both are actually connected together to my knowledge.

Otherwise, you'll need the dealer or a body shop to drop the headliner and install new brackets (or get creative with some heavy duty nutserts as a last resort).

If you still have at least one bracket try rotating it to see if you can see it through the other hole. You may be able to do that and grab the "dropped" fastener as both are actually connected together to my knowledge.

Otherwise, you'll need the dealer or a body shop to drop the headliner and install new brackets (or get creative with some heavy duty nutserts as a last resort).

Ya know, I tried everything. I assumed it was one bracket so I took my time and rotated the bolt slowly hoping to see the other hole, to no avail. I even used an endoscope (don’t ask me why I have one) to see if I could located it through the opening. No luck. I’m not all that certain that it is a single bracket anymore. But I do plan to go to the dealer tomorrow with my tail between my legs and ask for help. The question is, do I install the rack and have them finish the job for me or do I leave the rack off and just have them installl the fasteners..

In a bizarre twist of fate, I walked out this morning planning to load up what I could and head to the Toyota dealer, and took a second look for the fastener and low and behold, it had reappeared. I was able to fish it into place with needlenose pliers and get a bolt into it securing it back into place! I used quick setting caulk around the spacers and will be gingerly trying not to lose it again.
z5pfk.jpg

Also, after you remove the factory rack, there are these black strip of rubber in the channel. I actually never knew two of my longer strips were missing and they were like $60 to replace!

LOL! I hear ya! I lost a few of mine on the interstate at 80 mph. Heard "thump thump" and look in the rear view and saw one go flying. I got replacements, and I used silicone caulk to glue them in.

This thread makes my head hurt. lol But, it's also incredibly helpful. Preparing to dive into a stock rack removal soon and will reread this about 5 more times.

This thread makes my head hurt. lol But, it's also incredibly helpful. Preparing to dive into a stock rack removal soon and will reread this about 5 more times.

If your rack is from an older model LC (2008-2016) I would be interested if you consider selling it. Looking to replace my 2015
LX rack with the LC version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom