Removing the Roof Rails (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If your rack is from an older model LC (2008-2016) I would be interested if you consider selling it. Looking to replace my 2015
LX rack with the LC version.
I have the factory roof rack off my 2010LC, in good condition that I’ve been thinking about selling. PM if you’re still looking.
Tommy

how are you guys accessing the roof clips through the headliner? The previous owner of my 200 just let the back clips (rear, towards trunk) fall through and I can't seem to get them reset to re-install the roof rack

Wow, am I glad to find this thread. I'm planning to install a Front Runner rack on my 2008 LC this weekend. I'm a little freaked out by these nut plate nightmares, but I'm going to follow the recommended procedure and hope for the best.

You should be ok if your careful and loosen both bolts and don’t over torque

I unfortunately learned the hard way and didn’t find this thread until the clip fell in my headboard above the door

Good luck
BTW I love my front runner rack
Use it all the time
But it’s a bit difficult to fit in some garages now

I found a good video that explains the factory roof rack removal procedure for a Toyota Four Runner. I think this is helpful for LC 200 owners as well.

I gave up on the ARB roof rack. Attempted installation on the LC200 - dropped three roof rack brackets. I had to partially remove the headliner to retrieve and reinstall the brackets. BTW I used the described technology when you loosen these bolts first. The retainer clips are so flimsy - the brackets are not held tight enough. Do your best not to drop the rear driver side bracket - you wont’t be able to reinstall the bracket unless you remove the entire headliner. Long story short - reinstalled the brackets, attached the ARB rails and aluminum mesh roof rack. I was happy until I got in the heavy rain. Both rail attachments/legs leaked. It appears that when you install the ARB roof rack, you remove the entire molding on the roof. The ARB rail has no rubber padding unlike the OEM rack. The water protection is provided by that thin rubber gasket only. So, I removed the rack again, applied sealant, reinstalled the damn rack. Few weeks later, there was no major leak, but both rails became rusty. That rust would accumulate in the moulding channels on both sides. I do still have those rusty stains on the white roof. So, add to that significant wind pull, noise from the rack, whistling so that you cannot open the sunroof. Recently I noticed another leak. That was it - removed the rack, reinstalled the original roof rack. I plan to use the Yakima MegaWarrior when I need a roof rack to carry my telescope. My friends, please think twice before you remove the OEM rack.
If someone would like to pick up the original ARB roof rack that is good for land cruiser or highlander in San Antonio, TX - I have it for sale for $250.00, original price - more than $1,000.00. Thank you.

I want to thank y’all for the posts. I attempted and succeeded with the rail removal. All the horrors and positive input definitely helped. Now to get the new rack mounted.

E92C5285-503D-4EAF-ABBE-EC03C6A8D96A.jpeg

1ADB0C07-9238-43EE-B3B1-E34E3B66541E.jpeg

2EC99698-4894-4895-812A-D3D94FE71873.jpeg

275E8D87-8C12-4C2E-891B-56E50DBFA747.jpeg

Well done! Is that 2015 Landcruiser? Keep us posted about your experience with the roof rack. What kind of roof rack did you choose, btw?

EB8BCDDE-2701-4325-860E-837D17D7B26B.jpeg

I tried the elastomeric roofing seal to fill the holes so it wouldn't leak. Failed even though I was really careful. So I advise long-life silicone.

I use Permatex 81158. Lather it on there liberally all around the top and jam it in the holes. ARB flat has been on there for months without issue.

I realize it's an old thread, but it was pretty much the only one that came up when I searched prior to removing my factory rack.

The dealership where I bought my LC couldn't figure out the parts required to remove the rack. Apparently, a parts search doesn't show all the parts...

Anyway, if you want to remove the rack you will need the following parts (which I sourced thru Beano):

6 x Cover, Roof Drip Moulding
(P/N: 75596-0E040)
6 x Bracket Roof Rack
(P/N: 63185-0R010)
12 x Bolt, w/Washer*
(P/N: 90119-08C47)

View attachment 1041929 View attachment 1041930

* you don't really need these, but my thinking was that I didn't need the beefier bolts from the rack to hold the covers on...

Do you know if this would work for the LX570 as well?

When I did mine I was terrified I was gonna mess it up. I went painfully slow. Had no mishaps but it took a while. The airbag wire had me scared.

Where is the airbag wire? Is it easy to navigate around it? I want to remove my rack but not if I'm risking disabling airbags. If something went wrong with this airbag wire, would we be warned via a warning light? Or would we just not know and it wouldn't deploy in the case of an accident?

I’ve understood that there are airbag wires in the headliner. If the doohickey that holds the captive nuts were to spin, it could potentially hit that wiring. That’s why I was so careful about it.

I’ve understood that there are airbag wires in the headliner. If the doohickey that holds the captive nuts were to spin, it could potentially hit that wiring. That’s why I was so careful about it.

I definitely can see why! If something hit the wire, would we know so we could fix it? Or would it go unnoticed until it's too late?

I definitely can see why! If something hit the wire, would we know so we could fix it? Or would it go unnoticed until it's too late?

I sure as heck don’t know. I just heard that you wanna back the bolts out slowly. For each bolt pair, go like 1/4 or 1/2 turn each, alternating from one to the other. The captive nut doohickey is not easy to fix if you dork it up.

You’d definitely know; you’d initiate an SRS/airbag warning light in you instrument cluster. That said, I think there’s very little to no likelihood of damaging an airbag wire while installing a roof rack even if one backing plate spun or fell.

You’d definitely know; you’d initiate an SRS/airbag warning light in you instrument cluster. That said, I think there’s very little to no likelihood of damaging an airbag wire while installing a roof rack even if one backing plate spun or fell.

Awesome, thanks brother!

Anyone know if the hardware needed to fill the original roof rack on the LandCruiser will work on the LX?

Bumping to add information about LX compatibility. I used the parts list on page 1 for the LC and had the Toyota dealer remove my rack. They wanted to charge $120-200 initially for labor, but I told them I'd give them $100 and they agreed. After seeing how fast it was done, I feel I overpaid. Oh well. Parts were $60, and on the LX you only need 4 brackets, 4 covers, and 8 bolts instead of the 6, 6 and 12 quantities listed for the LC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom