Removing the Roof Rails (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does an LX have the same issue?

Ok folks I had a happy ending ... ok not that kind but almost as good
As someone else mentioned much easier to work in the dark at night so I could see in the hole
I could see the nutplate through the hole so I cracked open the headliner and was able to pull it out
I then did a macgyver and used some fishing line and a long wire tie to fish it through the hole and in the cabin
I then used that same setup to feed it through the hole of the nutplate and tied it off where the bolt goes in
I was then able to just pulled it straight back into place

The tricky part of installing my front runner feet was that I had to hold one bolt in to hold the plate in positionotherwise it would just fall back down again
That made inserting the second bolt near impossible when trying to align the feet and holding the rack rail
So I took the rail apart and mounted just that one section then reassembled the rest of the rail

So yes it's recoverable however it's probably impossible to reinstall the clip that holds the nutplate in place without tearing open the whole head liner so there will be challenged keeping it in place

For others asking if the nut plate just falls in when the bolts are removed the answer is no it won't if you unscrew he bolts together as I did with my other bolts
There is a clip that holds the nutplate in place
I found some diagrams from some online parts stores

I can't tell you how awesome it feels to finally get the new rack installed

Thanks for posting the diagram. It clearly explains the issue of that clip in question holding in the bottom plate and why you need to back out those bolts in unison. Very helpful!

As someone else that made this mistake, the plates are held in place with a retaining clip. If don't loosen both sides you end up twisting it out of the retaining clip.

On the question of the dealer charge to fix it. Mine was about $150

ouch

yeah i learned this the hard way on my FJ, same system. what should have been an hour job turned into an afternoon of trying to fish my fingers around sheetmetal bends, holding the headliner... sucked

Yea no problem.
Its so funny how you learn about these things after you F*** things up. and how many others did the same thing.
Lesson learned for me is to do more research ahead of time
Its just so hard especially when you get a new toy like this rack and just can't wait to put it on!

It would have been nice if Front runner included instructions on how to properly remove the old rack and bolts
Their install instructions could also use some improvement with more details about things which were not so clear

Well, I've got an interesting one. As I was loosening one of the bolts I heard a loud pop. And now the bolt just turns in the hole, it is tight to turn, but will not loosen at all. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks

I would suspect the clip popped out that retains the nut plate in place. that could have been the loud pop you heard
Not sure why you can't backout the bolt. Did you keep unscrewing it and it just turns?
Is the second bolt still in there? If not I would but the second bolt back in and then try unscrew again
If you did pop the clip you will need to leave one bolt in there or the nutplate will fall down into no mans land and youll be screwed.
If it still continues to just turn and not back out its probably stripped.

Yep, I could see the second nut, but could not get the bolt back into it. The yellow support broke on loosening. I was able to stabilize the empty nut side while I loosened the second nut and then it dropped into nomans land. And I am officially screwed now. Should I just call the dealer and see if they can get it out?

Here is what i did when that happened to me. And I guess this depends which set of bracket bolts you dropped
Mine was the set just behind the passanger door

First thing i did was curse and swear up and down and had a total melt down.
I called shops and the dealers for help
After i calmed down...

I waited till it was dark outside. I then took flashlight and looked down the hole. (this can't be done during the day since there is too much light).
I found the part sitting there and could also hear it rattle around in the head liner just behind passanger seat
I pried the headliner by opening the seam a little and I was able to just reach the nutplate with my finger tips and pull it out

I then jimmy rigged a long wire tie to fishing line and fed it down the same hole and pulled it out the same crack in the headliner

I then fed the wire tie through the hole of the nutplate and pull it straight back into place.
I then screwed in a bolt to hold it

PM if you need more description but that is the jist of what I did

You might also try a magnet but that seemed REALLY hard

I realize it's an old thread, but it was pretty much the only one that came up when I searched prior to removing my factory rack.

The dealership where I bought my LC couldn't figure out the parts required to remove the rack. Apparently, a parts search doesn't show all the parts...

Anyway, if you want to remove the rack you will need the following parts (which I sourced thru Beano):

6 x Cover, Roof Drip Moulding
(P/N: 75596-0E040)
6 x Bracket Roof Rack
(P/N: 63185-0R010)
12 x Bolt, w/Washer*
(P/N: 90119-08C47)

* you don't really need these, but my thinking was that I didn't need the beefier bolts from the rack to hold the covers on...

Wondering if anyone has done this to a '17 (or a '16?). The parts sites I looked at imply these parts won't work for a '17 model year. I can't figure out from the online diagrams what would be the correct part numbers.

I did this to my truck.....I ended up taking it to the dealership. :bang: I got ahead of myself and paid for it.

I did this to my truck.....I ended up taking it to the dealership. :bang: I got ahead of myself and paid for it.
What sucks is I wasn't even rushed or going hard on the bolt. It was just a little tight and as I turned the plastic broke and it dropped down.

I took one all the way out. Then took the second one out. Instead of taking them out together, a little bit at a time. Letting one bolt hold the other one.

Well f*** me sideways. Thanks Front Runner for the complete lack of instructions. Until finding this thread, I had no idea I was supposed loosen both bolts before removing one of them. So I happened to completely mangle the bracket and had to go through the headliner to get it out. More pics to come, but I sure which I found this thread BEFORE starting this project!!! And yes, what you see is the bolt head cutoff with a grinder to get it removed...

20171117_083913.jpg

20171117_083846.jpg

20171117_083815.jpg

20171117_083810.jpg

20171117_081355.jpg

Well f*** me sideways. Thanks Front Runner for the complete lack of instructions. Until finding this thread, I had no idea I was supposed loosen both bolts before removing one of them. So I happened to completely mangle the bracket and had to go through the headliner to get it out. More pics to come, but I sure which I found this thread BEFORE starting this project!!! And yes, what you see is the bolt head cutoff with a grinder to get it removed...

View attachment 1575791

View attachment 1575792

View attachment 1575793

View attachment 1575794

View attachment 1575795
Anyone who has taken the roof rack off want to sell the cross bars? I live in S. California.

Anyone who has taken the roof rack off want to sell the cross bars? I live in S. California.

I will no problem. Message me and we can work out the details. I'm in AZ so shipping should be pretty reasonable.

View attachment 1575791

View attachment 1575792

View attachment 1575793

View attachment 1575794

View attachment 1575795

Holy crap, winner of the most buggered roof rack bolt... you:D

I feel your pain as another victim of the factory roof rack nut design fail. Just tell yourself whatever doesn't kill you only makes you a better mechanic, or something like that

When I did mine I was terrified I was gonna mess it up. I went painfully slow. Had no mishaps but it took a while. The airbag wire had me scared.

View attachment 1575791

View attachment 1575792

View attachment 1575793

View attachment 1575794

View attachment 1575795

@JBHorne you've been around since the early days of the 200, WTF? You should have known, thou shalt consult Mud (and the FSM)! Sorry for the troubles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom