Rear seat headrest (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Noob question. I've had my 1988 FJ62 for a week now. Blast to drive. I need headrests for my rear seat for safety reasons. I see '88's with and without. Can I modify my current bench seat for headrests? perfect scenario is 3 headrests for the kiddo's.

no-reserve-1988-toyota-land-cruiser-fj62-fj-62-5.jpg

I acquired a 62 rear seat back with headrests from CruiserYard. The fabric was an exact match to my 1987 60 and the swap was very easy. Only 2 headrests, but one of my best mods.

I swapped a 62 seat back frame into my 60 so I could have headrests. On mine, I swapped the 60 seat fabric onto the 62 back and cut the headrest holes. Easy job and works well.

P1090810.JPG
P1090876.JPG
P1090812.JPG

Not sure if non head rest seats have the same frame but there is a bracket about 4 inches inside the seat that the sockets snap into

My 9/85 Fj60 stock rear seat back did not have the sockets for the head rests.

I added headrests to the stock seat back on my 60. I did two but I suppose you could do three. It may be difficult to add a seatbelt for the middle person...if you wanted it to be a three point belt. Here's the link to my build thread. I think the headrest mod is on page 3.

The Rushing Turdle

Last edited:
Thank you for the information. I've found out that my '88 is an early model. The shoulder harnesses are aftermarket, and not really the best option I need the later year shoulder belt. Does anyone know if I can add the aftermarket shoulder harness to my rig?

The first picture is what I need.

image-jpg.1217941

This is what I have...

upload_2017-3-10_16-15-31.png
upload_2017-3-10_16-15-48.png

My other option would be to install 5 point harnesses in the back. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? Any other solutions?

The retractable kind can be installed. Measure twice and cut once. I found that a dremel with a reinforced cut wheel worked best. The only way I found the trim pieces was in a "set" with the rear retractors (check @cruiserland or @arcteryx or @mel lowe. I then had the retractors re-built / re-webbed by seatbelt planet. If you can find the trim pieces just buy the retractor from seatbelt planner and then cut the quarters to fit the seatbelt planet retractors (the top button memory cable receivers are worth it when changing the bench from flat to seat orientation, no more trying to hold 3 belts and receivers from getting folded below the bench. See last photo ). Trail Tailor @reevesci I think has plans for rear belt kits/trim pieces but that may be down the line and/or hearsay.

IMG_1475.JPG
IMG_1477.JPG
IMG_1480.JPG
IMG_1483.JPG

IMG_2017.JPG

PM me if you want more details on the project. I have a rear 62 seat back that will eventually going in as well. But have the front belts and passenger side to complete first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom