rear body mounts (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It’s been a minute but I believe I could have gone up 4 or 5 inches without significant changes to the floor or enough to affect seating of foot position.

My ideal pig would be a 3” or less total lift (suspension + body) with tall skinny 34”-35” tires. I’m close to this but had to limit up travel to get there after poking a hole in the oil pan on a trail. Just because you have clearance sitting in your shop doesn’t mean when it flexes on a side hill it won't rub..

Got some research to do!
So this is on the bump stops. Do know I will be having a 2-3” lift.
Still gotta move this thing around a bit. As it sits - AC compressor hits the pumpkin, oil pan doesn’t clear the tie rod, and seems to be hitting in the trans tunnel.

Look at the Camaro or hotrod oil pans. That's what most people use and they should clear. There are several LS threads on Mud that show people using one.

You'll need a top mount AC bracket to move the AC to the upper passenger side. There are several companies that make them. Here is just one example AC Bracket

The 35” skinnies are exactly the tire I want. I have hopes of them fitting w no lift as I want this thing to be as low as possible.

It seems that if I am placing this engine in while the car is resting on the bump stops I should be pretty close to managing the up travel, no?

I’m I have read about the camero pan. I noted a Scrapdaddy post a while back w this site www.Stevesnovasite.com/threads/ls-oil-pans-with-dimensions-all-of-them.208618/
I think I might be loosing it but one that saves me space did not jumpnout at me.

Either of these first two have a five inch sump compared to the 8”+ sump of the truck pan. 3” difference.

C080FE9F-9461-4A19-9D80-CC0C1E3C5F65.jpeg

2AB12FFB-A0A2-438E-B4CE-5487603D254E.jpeg

09D8BE87-3388-4959-823F-C0A0EEE9B0AA.jpeg

It seems that if I am placing this engine in while the car is resting on the bump stops I should be pretty close to managing the up travel, no?
Close, yes but here's something to think about while your are setting yours up.

Bushings flex and suspension will move from side to side something that is hard to replicate sitting in the shop. I had 1” clearance between the front pinion flange and the spot on my oil pan that it rubbed a hole in on Black Dragon trial at Cruise Moab. Thinking something changed I flexed the pig front with my forklift and couldn’t get it closer than an inch once I got back home so I lowered my bump stops another ½” and put thinner bushings in my springs, so far it’s been good.

Wow
$200 for rock auto
$400 for summit

what’s the difference? Is this cutting something that is obvious to a greenhorn?

If I was smart I guess that a new gasket and dip stick are part of the order.

Wow
$200 for rock auto
$400 for summit

what’s the difference? Is this cutting something that is obvious to a greenhorn?

If I was smart I guess that a new gasket and dip stick are part of the order.
Not sure it's worth more than 2x the cost but the little gasket was not included when I bought the oil pan. I had a tiny drip from there after getting it all together. I had to dump a little new oil out so I could put the gasket back in after the fact. The gasket should be included in any kit you buy for the rest of the motor.

1631571397644.png

The cutting is just one little square with the grinder to make the Vorteq windage tray work. easy peasy.

Thought I would throw in some pics of the oil pan situation.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Only the passenger side is in and this is where it starts to hit the pan.
image.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if I am getting ahead of myself. I was looking through the threads and noticed that everyone had their dog houses(inner fenders) on when they placed the engine. The thought of radiator distance came into my head. I had originally thought that I should just get the engine back as far as I could and that could just be worked out later w the fan shroud.

I am trying hard to keep the running cruiser running till i can’t put off the canabilism.

You must put it back as far as possible. My passenger side head is only about 1/2in from the firewall. I was able to put 3in thick radiator and use the stock clutch fan. I feel like you can lift the motor up too. I'll get some measurements for you.

That would really help. Thanks
I am flying blind, and I dont even have a liscence.

The bell housing is touching the trans tunnel. I had decided to do some cutting on it, but I want to exhaust all other possibilities before I commit.
I measured my front drive shaft on my stock 55 and it was 23" compared to the merasuremnt that would now be 27".

Well I was going to get you measurements off the frame but then remembered you don't have a 55 frame. So I got the height of the motor in relation to the top fender pinch weld. The hood in that area has about another 2.5-3 inches of room so I could have gone higher in that respect.

The throttlebody is 15in from the back of the rad support. Hope you have the DBW.

the back intake mount is 1-7/8 down from the fender flange.

The passenger head is obstructed so I got the driver. The passenger sits further back than driver. Driver is about 1.5 from the wall.

Screenshot_20210913-172654_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210913-172627_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210913-172602_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210913-172527_Gallery.jpg

Yeah, put the works as far back and high as possible, then work back from there. I would also put the “dog house” and radiator in to give yourself an idea of your distance, which actually should be pretty substantial if you’re running a manual tranny and wanting the shifter to come through the opening in the cover. With that adapter you’re running, you shouldn’t have a problem with that.
But before any of that, you ought to pull the trigger on a lower profile oil pan and get it on before making any solid decisions on where the mounts will go.

Megadoomer! Your the bomb! I don’t care what anyone else says! SoCal 55s

I was 4 hours up a climb once and could only see one hold above me. I felt despair and then thought just get to that next hold. I got there and then I could see another hold just a bit up. I got to the top using that same strategy!

Rush55, thanks. I am ordering the oil pan, my next hold!

I’ve got a couple more holds now too.

Pigeaten is sending me a trans cover. That should get the stick where I want it, and hence a tip as to where the engine should be. And I just ordered the steering pump+. Noted that kit a while back, hola Scrapdaddy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom