Wanted REAR 10x37 Third Member (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

B1oodyBuzzard

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm in need of a third member for my 1980 FJ40. My current gear is 10x37. below is the thread from the 40 page I made. I am located in south Mississippi but I have friends all over so I may be able to arrange local pick up otherwise I will need to ship.

I would also love an inspection cover too.

below is my thread on the 40 page:
Differential opinion

be nice if I could get a new pumpkin installed by Halloween.

Thank you.

I have a complete 3:73 Third member unit for your Cruiser. It is out of the front axle of a 81 FJ 40 . $150 + ship. ships in a 5gal plastic bucket. LMK

That’s a really good price.

Is that ratio a typo? if its already pulled could you send me some pictures. Thanks

I have a complete 3:73 Third member unit for your Cruiser. It is out of the front axle of a 81 FJ 40 . $150 + ship. ships in a 5gal plastic bucket. LMK

Is that ratio a typo? if its already pulled could you send me some pictures. Thanks

That ratio is not a typo. To find the proper ratio you count the teeth on your ring gear (37) and then divide by the number of teeth on the pinion gear (10). Divide the number of teeth on the ring gear by the pinion gear and you get your gear ratio. 37/10 = 3.7

But a 3.73 would work just fine too. Some Toyota pickups came with a 4.11 rear differential ratio and a 4.10 in the front from the factory I believe.

But a 3.73 would work just fine too. Some Toyota pickups came with a 4.11 rear differential ratio and a 4.10 in the front from the factory I believe.

Okay, I just want to be certain. I was thrown off by the .73 if the math was the same. I'm looking at all options right now before making a decision with my dad. we've build fixing it together.

Also sounds obvious but to confirm forward and rear are interchangeable?

Last edited:
I have several of them here, but shipping would be ugly price.

Which Pick ups?

I’ve heard that some of the earlier solid axle (until 1985) pickups came with mismatched third members. Some FJ80s have been found with them too.

Okay, I just want to be certain. I was thrown off by the .73 if the math was the same. I'm looking at all options right now before making a decision with my dad. we've build fixing it together.

Also sounds obvious but to confirm forward and rear are interchangeable?

Yes front and rear third members are interchangeable.

FJ-40's and 55's up to 1978 came with 4:11's. 1979-84 40's- 3:73. Fj 60's -3:73. Fj-62, 4:11. 80's on up are a different carrier and ring/pinion size

FJ-40's and 55's up to 1978 came with 4:11's. 1979-84 40's- 3:73. Fj 60's -3:73. Fj-62, 4:11. 80's on up are a different carrier and ring/pinion size

Whats the reasoning behind changing the ratios over the years? Do you think it’s to compensate for the difference in performance of the F 2F and 3F engines?

Whats the reasoning behind changing the ratios over the years? Do you think it’s to compensate for the difference in performance of the F 2F and 3F engines?
early-'78 USA Cruisers were critisized for poor hiway speeds they changed them to a higher ratio to gain mph. with the introduction of fuel injection and an automatic transmission they were able to lower the ratio back down and make it have a slower"crawl" rate

Thought I'd give this a bump, I'm still messaging MiniMe in PM.

I also wanted to say that I was very appreciative and surprised by the amount of attention I got from Ward harris and Georg Esterer at Valley Hybrids and Cruiser Brothers. They both were very patent with me and did their best to point me in the right direction and recommended some shops that were closest to me.

Thought I'd give this a bump, I'm still messaging MiniMe in PM.

I also wanted to say that I was very appreciative and surprised by the amount of attention I got from Ward harris and Georg Esterer at Valley Hybrids and Cruiser Brothers. They both were very patent with me and did their best to point me in the right direction and recommended some shops that were closest to me.
Georg - @orangefj45 - is the patient / competent guy at Cruiser Brothers. I'm mostly the marketing Bozo..... :)

Doesn’t seem that MiniMe’s gear ratio is what I’m looking for. My dad in Iowa is going to follow some local leads, but I’m still looking before committing to rebuilding with new kit....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom