Readers Rides, for pics and specs on your Toy(s). (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My two 2s

Ill add my two 2 doors to the mix...not as extreme as some of the stuff on here but I still love em! Gonna concentrate on the red one from now on, so the gold one is outta here.

The red one only has LC coils and BJ spacer so far...havent even gotten around to changing the wheels/tires yet! Theres a set of teflon Mojaves and BF all terrains waiting...

IMG_0069.jpg

The gold one has a lot more work...302 Ford V8 after the 3.slow gave up, 33s, Alcoa wheels, Atlas II transfer, 4 in lift, ARB bumper etc etc.

DSC01942.jpg

My '81 Long Bed is not much of a "show truck". But, it's simple, light & tough as nails and it's just what I want for local trail beating and general chores that a SUV can't handle. You just can't beat a 1st gen for toughness and I'm blessed to have one.

Here's some highlights & pics :

-Engine, tranny(5 speed) and xfer case are 1985 transplants
-Weber carb
-SR5 trim package....lol
-Seats out of a '98 Honda CRV
-Custom home built aluminum interior door panels
-Home built steel bumpers, welded on (came that way)
-Ramsey 8K planatary winch
-Lock Right in front diff
-Sliders added in 2013 (fabbed at local welding shop)
-TLC aux. lights
-Modified the front corner parking lights to include turn signals
-Rear springs have a slight shackle lift
-32 x 11.50 x 15 Maxis Bighorn MTs
-4.56 R & Ps
-
Build thread

CTW2012g1.jpg
CTW2012n1.jpg

IMG_0379a.JPG

IMG_0384a.JPG

IMG_0850a.JPG

Sold this truck today (4-15-2020)....sorry to see it go, but as much as it sat around due to other priorities, I couldn't justify keeping it. I had some good times and hit some awesome trails with it. It was a very capable and handy truck to have, for it's age. I will definitely miss it. 😢

Last edited:
Interesting truck there Tom! Looks like its been hiding in a barn since the early 80s! Body looks to be in great shape too! Are you gonna redo the dash?

Interesting truck there Tom! Looks like its been hiding in a barn since the early 80s! Body looks to be in great shape too! Are you gonna redo the dash?

Thanks! Actually, it looks better in the pics than it really is. It just doesn't have the serious cancer, yet. I'm not going to restore it, probably just give it the bed-liner treatment because I'm more interested in function than looks and it's main use will be chores and trail use.

As far as the dash is concerned, the PO put most of it back together before I picked it up. I had to do some minor rewiring and picking up knobs and such at a U Pull It. The cover that's on the dash came with it and hides all the cracks. Here's a current pic:
IMG_0385a.JPG

Updated: Front drive shaft was totally rebuilt and has been working fine. Front OEM racing buckets were replaced with seats from a Honda CRV. They are sturdy and are holding up well. Just not much room for tall people. If you are taller than me (5'9") you might be a little cramped, but they work great for me!

Last edited:
Went wheeling with a few 4runner's thought id share a few pics and a vid or 2
pic026.jpg

pic025.jpg

pic023.jpg

pic022.jpg

pic021.jpg

pic020.jpg

pic019.jpg

pic017.jpg

pic015.jpg

pic013.jpg

pic010.jpg

pic008.jpg

pic007.jpg

pic001.jpg

pic002.jpg

pic029.jpg

wow super clean!!!

thanks guys, I enjoy it but it rides a bit ruff , the springs are 26 years old and flat and maybe need replaced. I was thinking about putting Old Man Emu leaf springs on but not sure how it will look with the tires that are on there now 235/75/15 , do you think it will look funny like it needs bigger tires ?

Last edited:
If you want it to look stock, just get OEM. I did switch my torsion bars to OME because I have a heavier bumper.

There is so much great Toyotas in these forum, here is mine:
1988 4Runner(stock), and Bamse, a great 1992 HDJ80vx w/optimal mods!
IMG_5505.jpg

Here is mine tugether whit a old 1987 Allpro Runner (imported to norway), but I cant optimal mine so mutch, couse it never gets legal to use. Hopfully there is possible to do a SAS, but I`m not sure..:frown:
IMG_5525.jpg

Last edited:
HPIM3339.jpg

1984 extra cab SR5

Mods:
Rochester 2 barrel carb
port/ polished head on rebuilt 22R
stainless header and full exhaust w/ Flowmaster muffler
twin alternators one stock/ one GM, GM mounted in place of A/C
dual batteries rear mounted under bed/ above rear axle
17 gallon fuel cell mounted at front/ under bed
3" cab lift/ 3" drive train lift
10" x 5/16" C channel cross member protects exhaust and t case
cab length sliders
high clearance rear bumper and front bumper w/Warn 9000 winch
in cab winch control uses factory power antenna/cargo light switches
in dash CB and brake controller for trailer
hidden drop down trailer plug
high clearance spare tire mount uses 2" lashing winch to fit tight to bottom of bed
barbed wire filled '84 two wheel drive grille
rock lights uses deleted defrosted rear glass in dash switch
63" chevy's in rear/ rears up front
12" front/ 14" rear shocks
33" tire
cross over steering w/ modified stock arms and '01 Nissan Frontier steering box
dash mounted grab handle and welded center hump mount brake lever for passenger "oh s***" bars
flat bed on 5" risers w/ flame pattern tail lights
Ooohgah horn

HPIM2575.jpg

92 4RUNNER w 198k miles at car lot for $2k

This is my second 2nd Gen 4Runner. I love them so much that I sold my sick 84 CJ7 to buy this. I haven't looked back since. Its my daily driver, and I've haven't had to do too much to it. It had a nasty oil leak from the valve cover gaskets, and needed a fuel rail dampener which was leaking fuel out the top on the ruel rail of the engine. Once I got that all fixed, a set of front cv,s and new breaks, t-stat, and jb on the radiator. My wife just doesn't understand when it comes to spending more on it than on her, unless it was to break down on the tail!
TUBES ON RUNNER.JPG

Attachments

• 92 RUNNER.pdf
    245.8 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
X factor, would you mind sharing in a separate thread how you set up the Alt in place of the A/C pump?
I want to do this mod, too.
Thanks!

1984 extra cab SR5

Mods:
Rochester 2 barrel carb
port/ polished head on rebuilt 22R
stainless header and full exhaust w/ Flowmaster muffler
twin alternators one stock/ one GM, GM mounted in place of A/C
dual batteries rear mounted under bed/ above rear axle
17 gallon fuel cell mounted at front/ under bed
3" cab lift/ 3" drive train lift
10" x 5/16" C channel cross member protects exhaust and t case
cab length sliders
high clearance rear bumper and front bumper w/Warn 9000 winch
in cab winch control uses factory power antenna/cargo light switches
in dash CB and brake controller for trailer
hidden drop down trailer plug
high clearance spare tire mount uses 2" lashing winch to fit tight to bottom of bed
barbed wire filled '84 two wheel drive grille
rock lights uses deleted defrosted rear glass in dash switch
63" chevy's in rear/ rears up front
12" front/ 14" rear shocks
33" tire
cross over steering w/ modified stock arms and '01 Nissan Frontier steering box
dash mounted grab handle and welded center hump mount brake lever for passenger "oh s***" bars
flat bed on 5" risers w/ flame pattern tail lights
Ooohgah horn

I sure will. In the morning I'll get some pics of the brackets I made. It uses the factory A/C belt also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom