Proud new 40 owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As all of you were at one point in time I am beyond amped about my 1st fj purchase.

It is a '73 that was "restored" around 20 years ago with an aluminum body and fenders. It does not have any visible rust or bubbles. 350 was rebuilt and swapped in while keeping the 3-speed. It runs down the road great with gobs of power but it is loud.

My plans are for mostly around town cruising, will probably never really get into of offroading of any significance. We do have smaller children so comfort and safety are at the top of the priorities.

I would like to do as much of the work myself as possible. I am around a 5 out of 10 on the mechanic scale. Can do just about any swap out/in but no welding or major overhaul skills.

PO has made some mods that I would like to reverse and make a strong attempt to create as stock of appearance as possible but with more modern/upgrades in the comfort and safety dept.

I am looking for any/all of your expert opinions to help push me in the right direction so please fireaway with any helpful insights that you may have...all are greatly appreciated!

My initial thoughts are:
-swap in a stock roll bar, tailgate, tire carrier and rear seats. Any thoughts out there on a rear bench seat as being better for young kids??
-tone down the exhaust and pipe to the rear
-best and low hanging fruit improvements to ride quality without rebuilding the entire suspension? It has a 2.5" shackle lift and decent 32" tires
-improve seats codition, probably recover the front seats
-new seat belts once I get the roll bar and rear seat figured
-remove the trash fog lights
-complete rear bumper
-turn while letter tires in and repaint wheels back to stock color. What would the stock color be this? Recommendations on paint to use?
-get rear lights back to stock. Not sure what these are and what is exactly needed.?.?
-eventually change out the front drums to disks and add power steering. I know there are 1000 opinions on this but am looking for the best balance of cost/ease of install/effectiveness.

Generally speaking I am all for modernization of the drivetrain but want to have as vintage of look of a ride as possible. Since this has already veered off the stock pathway with the tub and 350 I am open to swapping in a whole new/modern front axel if that makes the most sense for brakes, steering, ride quality, etc

Thanks in advance!
Nick
20230902_155155.jpg

20230902_155206.jpg

20230902_155219.jpg

Screenshot_20230904_083024_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230904_083147_Facebook.jpg

If do a roll cage do it right be sure and bolt it to the frame. They sell kits. The stock one is just to hang the seatbelts, it’s not attached to anything structural. Squares fold triangles hold…

Congrats and welcome. I'd replace the tires, rather than flipping them around. They look like they're past their use by age. It will be a safety improvement and will give the truck some pop. For the rims, the stock color was grey. I used Rustoleum Smoke Grey I think. Lots of threads on here about rims and tires. Kids and 40s go REALLY well together.

Windshield wipers could be considered an important safety feature
Without a proper roof, I don't really drive around in the rain...

(and I'm in Western Washington...)

Not only are my wiper blades now about 8 years old (and I dunno where I can get anything new that would fit) but the PO replaced the fusible link with a automatic breaker that blows if the lights / fan / wipers are all on at the same time... So, fair weather only for me!!!

Hey guys!...thanks for all of the feedback!

Yes, the headers are definitely now up hit list to get changed out....they so smokin hot and louder than hell. Thinking coated ram horns piped out the rear. Any recommendations on the quietest muffler to look for??

I ran fenderwell headers for yrs and finally was tired of replacing header gaskets. I did ramshorns with the spacer on the pass side. Then bought the Wagner y pipe. I had an exhaust shop finish it up with the pipe running down the drivers side with a knock off flowmaster 40 muffler then out the driverside between the spring and frame. It's throaty, but I like it. Just enuff rumble for me. My 75 40 has a similar setup, but has a stk muffler going across the back of the 40 and out the pass side. It's too quite for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom