Builds Project Beach Cruiser | The 1971 FJ40 Patina RestoMod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Question: I intend to run a 2f valve cover with the 3fe head. When trying to install the valve cover, I noticed that the rocker arm studs are longer for the 3fe valve cover. Does anyone know if I will run into an issue using the shorter studs & 2f valve cover with the 3fe head?

IMG_8053.JPG

I also want to confirm my valve train is correct before I finish buttoning up this engine. Namely, I have heard some differing opinions about running 3fe or 2f rocker arms (currently I have 3fe rocker arms installed). My current specs are:
  • '84 2f block
  • '84 2f crank
  • 1mm over 2f pistons
  • '84 2f rods
  • '84 2f timing gears
  • '84 2f timing cover
  • '88 3fe camshaft
  • '88 3fe lifters
  • '81 2f push rods
  • '88 3fe rocker arms
  • '81 2f valve cover
  • '84 2f oil pan
  • '84 2f oil pump
  • '88 3fe intake
  • '88 3fe water neck
  • '84 2f water pump

I found an answer on which rocker arms to use- the rocker arms need to match the valves. Since I kept 3fe valve when I rebuilt the head, I need to use 3fe rocker arms.

I still have no idea if the rocker arms will hit the 2f valve cover (why did toyota make the 3fe cover taller?) - but we will find out when I start up the engine.

Nice....almost bought a 250SL many years back. Then ended up with a 190SL that I still have. 113s are much better drivers.

Reactions: GRM
The last few weeks I have been working on finding the right accessory combination to run and how to mount them. That process happened in a thread on the 60-series board: What Accessory Combination to Run On A 2FE?

After some help, I decided upon a 2f water pump, 3fe Alternator, 2f AC Compressor, 3fe power steering pump, and 3fe crank pulley.
IMG_9553.JPG

I was just having a fun time reading your post and like Game of Thrones I am sitting here with my mouth hanging open waiting for the next episode.

Where do things stand today?

I was just having a fun time reading your post and like Game of Thrones I am sitting here with my mouth hanging open waiting for the next episode.

Where do things stand today?

Thanks for the encouraging words. At this point I need help getting the motivation to get this guy drivable.

I want to tell you stories about the incredible progress I have made, but the truth is that I worked on it for one day in January, and haven't touched it since.

I managed to pull the drivetrain & interior out and throw it in scrap pile.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Other projects, like the wildernest on Rocinante, getting a Four Wheel Camper on my Dodge, rebuilt my car trailer, lots of camping trips and an engagement party got in the way. In addition, I started a new work project in December (I integrate next-gen automotive technologies for a living)- which has taken my mental energy away from the cruiser.

I still hope to get it drivable this year. It's lot of work, but I really want it drivable.

Last edited:
I've been slowly tinkering with the truck for the last year- but finally am making serious progress.
Last week I put the engine transmission and transfer case in. Next week it goes to a shop in Sacramento to finish up the basics, so it can be drivable this summer.

I'm getting antsy to see this truck finally moving under its own power!

IMG_0261.JPG
IMG_0312.JPG
IMG_0314.JPG
IMG_0320.JPG
IMG_0331.PNG

I'm quickly prepping the truck to head to a shop in Folsom this weekend. I'm getting married in June and my goal is to have this one running in time for our wedding.

And has anyone else noticed how often your pressure washing parts when working on an old cruiser?? I feel like every time I work on it there is another part covered in some 40 year old goop that needs to be cleaned.

IMG_0368.JPG
IMG_0379.JPG

Just because my truck doesn't drive, doesn't mean I can't dream about why I keep working on this old Toyota.

IMG_0386.JPG

I finally had to concede that I'm not going to get this done without a lot of help.

Today I took the cruiser up to a shop in Sacramento. Even after one day we made good progress.
Hopefully in 6 weeks I will have a running driving cruiser.
IMG_0398.JPG

Love the resolve man - went down this road years ago with a 3FE swap and it was totally worth it in the end ;)

Here's a link in case there's anything helpful for you!
3FE adventure -

I loved your build! I reference pictures from it all time time.

By any chance can you take pictures of all your cooling lines? I'm getting a bit tangled up in the routing.

A big thanks to Tim at Scully Offroad for taking this project on. He is really starting to make my old Jalopy look good!

IMG_0433.jpg

I see the light!

IMG_0402.JPG

In all seriousness- @LAMBCRUSHER set me up with the old Auburn limited slip out of a 55. That's going in today- assuming I can figure out what the deal is with the bolt that holds in the cross pin (it appears to be a 5/16-18 thread).

I searched everywhere, and can't find info on the old part number 504011. Does anyone have any insight into the changes between this 1987 differential and a current one?

IMG_0457.JPG

IMG_0451.JPG

I got an update from Tim - the rear brakes are mocked up. I spent a lot of time finding a caliper rotor combination that would work well on a 40, as nothing on the market today fit my requirements.

I was holding my breath, but it looks like my concoction of parts are going to work.

IMG_5078.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom