What Accessory Combination to Run On A 2FE? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GRM

Finding new adventures in old jalopies.
Threads
I'm in the process of building a 2fe, and am running into some minor issues with finding the right accessories to fit. Here has been my thought process thus far:

1st idea - Run all 3FE accessories, except for a 2F power steering pump (I want to keep it closer to the steering box). This didn't work because the AC bracket wouldn't bolt up.

2nd idea- Use a FJ60 AC compressor & Power Steering pump with the 3FE alternator.

This 2nd idea looks like it could work, but the alternator is hitting the power steering pump.

IMG_8161.JPG
IMG_8162.JPG
IMG_8167.JPG

Is there an opinion on what combination works well? I'd like to maximize the 3FE harness and keep the larger output alternator.

There are a few threads out there but if I remember from my research you have to stick with the 3FE layout for accessories to get proper belt paths.

I'd do that- but the 3fe AC compressor bracket doesn't fit.

I seem to remember that some fabrication to keep AC in the stock 2F location has to be done... I know I have the document that one guy did as his complete write-up some where. If I can find I will post for you. Other than that start looking through the few threads out there on 2FE builds.

I used all 3FE accessories since it was going in a 62, but left out the AC. Tonkota had a write up in Trails (a pdf used to float around) with details on modding the bracketry to run the 3FE AC pump.

I put all 60 accessories on in stock locations, with the exception of putting a second alternator in the smog pump spot.

62 alternator is 80 amp, 60 is only 60 amp. 62 hydraulic pump is considered superior to the 60 pump. The 62 water pump is necessary to get all the hoses attached.

Seems like a pattern.

Also seems like putting a 2FE in a 62 is significantly easier than adding it to a 60.

Not trying to complicate things for you here, but I kinda cringed when I read the bit about wanting to run the 2f ps pump. After I got through my 2f rebuild I was plagued with ps pump problems. I'm kind of a purist and I wanted to keep it all original, but I finally gave up, and glad now I did. If I had it to do over again I would have fitted a Saginaw when the engine was on the stand.

I know nothing about the 3fe ps pump, but if I were you, I would do my homework, and if you find no solid evidence the 3fe pump is a vast, vast improvement over 2f, I would abandon the OE idea and fit a Saginaw if possible.

What is weird is that I have had the exact opposite experience, which makes me want to run the FJ60 or FJ62 pump. I've been running mini-truck pumps for 13 years without any issue. On the other hand, I have a Saginaw on my Dodge, which has caused nothing but troubles (I'm on my 6th pump in 240k miles). I still have a Volvo Saginaw with bracket for my F in the garage- but my plan was to sell it since I found them less reliable.

The only thing I ever had an issue with on a Toyota pump is from running the wrong fluid. Since I went to Sta-Lube red, I haven't had an issue.

I guess we will see if I end up with power steering issues once I get this thing running.

Last edited:
fj60 ps pump can't be rebuilt, fj62 can...regardless...post up your winning combo and maybe even chase it with some pics. For posterity...

Before this thread, I thought that the FJ60 and FJ62 pumps were the same, just mounted on the opposite side of the engine. I tried to fit the 62 pump in the 60 bracket and found how different they are.
IMG_8185.JPG

IMG_8184.JPG

I really want to try and keep the power steering pump on the drivers side to keep the power steering hoses shorter. Is there a better pump (mini truck or other?) that will mount in the FJ60 bracket?

Just to see if it will work, I tried mounting the FJ62 pump bracket on top of the FJ60 Alternator/AC bracket. Amazingly, it almost fits. Minor cutting of 1 rib, and it will bolt on. It also solves a few belt tensioning problems, and will let the stock FJ62 alternator fit. While I really want the power steering pump on the drivers side, this may be a better solution.

IMG_8186.JPG

IMG_8187.JPG

After playing with multiple combinations and buying a few extra belts, I came up with the combination I plan to run (that is- unless someone sees a problem with the setup).

The accessories are: 2f water pump, 3fe Alternator, 2f AC Compressor, 3fe power steering pump, and 3fe crank pulley. I was able to mount the FJ62 power steering pump by building spacers to mount it outside the stock 2f alternator/AC compressor bracket. Then to mount the 3fe alternator, I drilled out the lower mounting hole, and installed a spacer to hold it to the engine block.

IMG_9553.JPG
IMG_9554.JPG
IMG_9558.JPG
IMG_9560.JPG
IMG_9561.JPG

Next step is to pull the brackets for sandblast & paint. Then I am going to replace the thin spacers with 10mm ID 20mm OD spacers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom