Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been working on putting together a list of tools needed for servicing our trucks away from our home garages/driveways. No one sells just the 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, etc, tools we need so I decided to put one together myself. I landed on the GearWrench/Apex Tools company since they have a comprehensive catalog of tools and all the tools I've bought and used from them have been pretty high quality and not terribly expensive. The only things they're missing is the 54mm hub socket and a set of JIS cross-head screwdrivers. I'm tossing around the idea of packaging these kits and reselling them on the MUD small business store front. I'll probably do a full kit like this as well as smaller kits for just the sockets or just the wrenches.

Here's what I got today.
IMG_20180525_140651487.jpg

Here's the tool list.
3 Pc. 1/4", 3/8" & 1/2" Drive 84 Tooth Teardrop Ratchet Set
1/4" Drive Extension 2"
3/8" Drive Extension 3"
3/8" Drive Extension 10"
3/8" Drive Wobble Extension 6"
1/2" Drive Extension 5"
1/4" Drive 6 Point Standard Metric Socket 10mm
1/4" Drive 6 Point Standard Metric Socket 12mm
1/4" Drive 6 Point Deep Metric Socket 10mm
1/4" Drive 6 Point Deep Metric Socket 12mm
3/8" Drive 6 Point Standard Metric Socket 10mm
3/8" Drive 6 Point Standard Metric Socket 12mm
3/8" Drive 6 Point Standard Metric Socket 14mm
3/8" Drive 6 Point Standard Metric Socket 17mm
3/8" Drive 6 Point Deep Metric Socket 10mm
3/8" Drive 6 Point Deep Metric Socket 12mm
3/8" Drive 6 Point Deep Metric Socket 14mm
3/8" Drive 6 Point Deep Metric Socket 17mm
3/8" Drive 6 Point Metric Flex Socket 14mm
3/8" Drive 2-1/2" Spark Plug Socket 13/16"
3/8" Drive Hex Bit Metric Socket 10mm
1/2" Drive 6 Point Standard Metric Socket 14mm
1/2" Drive 6 Point Standard Metric Socket 17mm
1/2" Drive 6 Point Standard Metric Socket 24mm
1/2" Drive 6 Point Deep Metric Socket 19mm
1/2" Drive 6 pt 21mm deep Impact Socket
1/2" Drive Impact Extension 5"
10mm 12 Point Ratcheting Combination Wrench
12mm 12 Point Ratcheting Combination Wrench
14mm 12 Point Ratcheting Combination Wrench
17mm 12 Point Ratcheting Combination Wrench
12mm 6 Point Combination Wrench
14mm 6 Point Combination Wrench
17mm 6 Point Combination Wrench
10mm x 12mm Flex Head Flare Nut Wrench
15mm x 17mm Flex Head Flare Nut Wrench
4 Pc. Mixed Dual Material Plier Set
Fixed Tip External Lock Ring Pliers
3 lb. Drilling Hammer with Fiberglass Handle
1/4" x 11" Long Taper Punch
1/2" x 6" Cold Chisel
16" Indexing Pry Bar
Oil and Grease Seal Puller
2 Piece Curved Jaw Locking Pliers Set

And I'm hoping they'll all fit in to this (which I have on order).
ShopRoll%20Open_10170411.jpg

It's funny you should mention that. I was thinking about swapping that hammer out for a ball peen like the Toyota one but I couldn't figure out what once it was/is. I decided to just wait for the tool bag to come in and see if this one fits in there.

It's funny you should mention that. I was thinking about swapping that hammer out for a ball peen like the Toyota one but I couldn't figure out what once it was/is. I decided to just wait for the tool bag to come in and see if this one fits in there.
The drilling hammer is a good choice. one thing I will add is try to find one with flat sides. It can then be used as a surface to bend items back straight if need be. I improvised a bent tie rod fix with one once

Don't forget some 13mm sockets for the older type bolts. Maybe 8mm too for those little adjustment bolts and trim stuff if I remember correctly.

I use the blow torch and penetration lube a lot

Consider an electric impact gun or airgun if you have on board air. Mine is just too damn handy.

I'd also have some electrical lead/tin solder and some assorted wire And connecters. A multimeter with extra batteries with a hardcopy of the fsm has come in handy for me once or ten times!

It all fits! I'll probably swap out the 16" pry bar for the 10" version. This roll by @AdventureToolCompany is badass. It even smells like my Granda's old Army duffle bag. Give these guys a look if you're looking for good canvas rolls or pouches. Home - Adventure Tool Company

IMG_20180530_000906748.jpg
IMG_20180530_001309376.jpg

Last edited:
It all fits! I'll probably swap out the 16" pry bar for the 10" version. This roll by @AdventureToolCompany is badass. It even smells like my Granda's old Army duffle bag. Give these guys a look if you're looking for good canvas rolls or pouches. Home - Adventure Tool Company

View attachment 1712237 View attachment 1712238
I tried to get ATC to donate/discount a tool roll for our swap meet raffle a couple years ago and got no response... Not going to be my 1st choice, but it looks nice. I'll give my $$ to Atlas 46; they are veterans owned and have great quality stuff.

ATC is a very small company and the owners are great people. They are also cruiser people.

We just spent a week seeing friends in New England and camping five nights at Acadia National Park. In getting Rhea's 80 ready, I tried to get @OTRAMM to replace some exhaust flanges for me that I could never get to seal. He couldn't squeeze me in, so I headed north with a slight exhaust leak. No big deal as I've been running it that way for a while.

Half way to Gardiner, Maine, the exhaust started getting louder. And louder. The result of this:

Exhaust.JPG

I tried to get a a shop in Augusta to repair it, but they so said no dice. So I headed to Acadia. We planned on visiting friends in Portsmouth, New Hampshire on the way home, so I scheduled an appointment with a custom exhaust shop there.

When we departed Acadia, the whole thing broke loose. Four hours on I-95 with an open exhaust does not a happy family make. But the gents at Lou's Custom Exhaust fixed us up in 30 minutes with a new flange, new cat, and new downpipe.

The Land Cruiser adventures continue.

That's really the one thing this area lacks is a good exhaust shop. Which seems crazy to me with all the salt they throw on the road every winter.

I got my top and doors off yesterday. I need to figure out an easy cover solution to keep the dust and pollen out. I heard the Trollhole trail tops are nice but a pain to put on and take off. Anyone have any experience with these?

I got my top and doors off yesterday. I need to figure out an easy cover solution to keep the dust and pollen out. I heard the Trollhole trail tops are nice but a pain to put on and take off. Anyone have any experience with these?
The trail covers are easy to deal with

Maybe for guys named Matt, or Bob or Russel. I've never heard they were difficult. Most I talked to love 'em

I won one at the Relic Run but I am now having doubts I will ever see it. I know this is his busy time.

So I'm in the middle of replacing my steering rack on the 3rd gen 4runner...then it started pouring down rain. I'm having trouble removing the fluid Hardline, which is what I assume is the high pressure side. I got the nut to spin, but not independently from the hard line. Last resort is break it or disconnect the other end and all the keepers , but before I do that does anyone have any advice? I cant tell if the line is slightly bent or corroded to the nut. I'd rather not test how much torsion relief is built into the line.. as I'd need 8-10 full revolutions.

Finally got that high pressure line off. Used the torch/kroil method, then ratchet straped the line down and attacked the fitting with a bendy slip line wrench from advanced Auto . At first I hated the tool, but I wouldn't have gotten the line off conventionally without it's use! Took me 3hr. To get that damn fitting off. My triceps are burnjng!
IMG_20180621_113709.jpg
IMG_20180621_113653.jpg
IMG_20180621_113918.jpg

Oh yeah...yoga mat and cardboard...moving up in the world.

Btw...check out the new to me ride. Chica got a Supra...I get a built STI.
29189.jpeg

I'll drive it for the summer, then likely flip it for $$$ and put that towards my supra fund! We have our eyes on another jdm supra...this time twin turbo.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom