Power Steering Squeal - Fixable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Goldbug

SILVER Star
Threads
One of the POs installed what I think may be a Tercel PS setup on my '78 40. When I got it, the rig would whine REALLY loudly if I turned the wheel more than say a 1/4 turn. The belt off the PS also only went around the crankshaft, not the water pump. I got a new belt, put it around all 3 pulleys and it now whines less loudly, but all the time.

My issue is that I can't really adjust it. It has two pivot points, the bolts in the lower area closer to the engine. There is a reverse threaded rod/tube that I believe is for adjusting, but the fact it is S shaped makes me think it's lost it's integrity.

Does anyone have an alternative or solution? I would put on a smaller belt, but I wouldn't be able to get it on. I found this thread with a bracket that looks like it might work, anyone know where to obtain such a bracket or where to start with fabricating one?

The whine is getting to the embarrassing stage...

IMG_5323.jpg

IMG_5324.jpg

IMG_5325.jpg

Here's the thread with the bracket that looks like it would work better. Can I get something like this at Napa, perhaps re-purpose an alternator bracket?

I'm not sure what your issue is since it does the whine all the time, not just when you go to full left or right lock. Your whine would be more constant when you run the belt around 3 pulleys instead of two pulleys since the P.S. pump then gets less belt rap, less grip between belt and pulley.

Downey's question is valid - is your 'whine' caused by the belt actually slipping, or is it a badly worn or low-on-fluid PS pump? Is your belt fairly new and the correct size for the pulleys (unlike the one shown in the pix above, which I know is not yours)?

I'm not sure what your issue is since it does the whine all the time, not just when you go to full left or right lock. Your whine would be more constant when you run the belt around 3 pulleys instead of two pulleys since the P.S. pump then gets less belt rap, less grip between belt and pulley.
//This\\

IMO, The belt should go from crank and P/S pump only. P/S pumps use a lot of energy and should have its own dedicated belt. Looking at your replacement belt, It sits too deep in the P/S pump pulley groove. It probably needs to be wider to fill the pulley groove. The belt also needs to be pretty tight.

Wrong belt. You need a wide belt, not the narrow belt you have now.

The belt on there is narrow because the crankshaft pulley is narrow. (yes, the pulley's aren't consistent but fixing that becomes a much larger project). The belt is not as tight as it should be. The whine definitely comes from the belt. If I spray some WD-40 on it, the whine stops for 10 minutes or so. PS fluid level is correct.

Intriguing thought about going around only 2 pulleys instead of 3. But I still have the "Not Able to Adjust" issue with that weird tube/rod/linkage. Has anyone seen something like that before? I'm thinking I should go with an adjuster arm like I have on the alternator?

Have you tried loosening the nuts on the adjuster and turning it with a vice-grip like the PO apparently did?
It appears to function like a turnbuckle. In fact, one of the locknuts is grooved indicating it is left-hand threaded.
If you're going to spray anything on the belt, try some belt dressing.

Last edited:
Your pump looks more like a stock FJ60 PS pump than a Tercel to me. Even though we both appear to have used the same Napa belt. Yours is riding much lower in the pulley than mine. I believe this is because your pump is running the wide FJ60 belt pulley, and my pump has a pulley for a smaller stock Tercel belt. To get rid or your whine you will need a wider belt. The FJ60 pump used a 19/32" belt, and the Tercel calls for a 15/32" You can probably source a smog pump tension arm in the classifieds here. As I stated in my PM to you. I believe I used a stock smog pump bracket that I had to remove some metal from to clear the pump.

Last edited:
Thanks @John Smith, I’ll start looking for a smog bracket.

@flee yeah, loosening nuts and turning worked for a bit and then didn’t. I think the metal has lost integrity, hence the S shape.

Seriously, you need full engagement of the belt to stop the squeal. If your balancer pulley is narrow, change the pump pulley to match. The adjuster, while unconventional, can work fine. I had a similar home brew version at one time.

Thanks @John Smith, I’ll start looking for a smog bracket.

@flee yeah, loosening nuts and turning worked for a bit and then didn’t. I think the metal has lost integrity, hence the S shape.
There is probably a pivot bolt that must also be loosened, like at the alternator, etc.
There is no real reason preventing that hollow rod system from providing tension.
If the rod is stripped or too weak I would replace it with a stronger un-stripped one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom