Toyota Tercel power steering conversion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Somewhere, I came across an article by someone that claimed to use a power steering pump from an 80s Toyota Tercel 4wd Wagon (along with a minitruck PS box) to do the PS conversion. Can anyone verify if this can be done? And, by "can be done," I mean "CAN BE DONE EASILY" with minimal jerking around and fabricating. I have a '73 FJ with F engine and I'm looking for the easiest conversion. I've already got a PS box, just need a pump and bracket. I wonder if those Tercel Wagon pumps are the same as found in '79-'85 minitrucks?

IF i remember correctly the tercel pump is the same as the 79-85 4wd mini truck pumps. HOWEVER, you have an F engine which i don't believe has the factory holes in the head for mounting a OEM pump and bracket. So no, if will not fit your F series engine without modification of a custom bracket. Good Luck.

Anything "can be done" however no modification on a vehicle not imported to the US for 30+ years is ever cheap, easy or quick. And NOTHING ever just 'bolts right up". Anything worth having takes desire, time, talent, resources and of course money.

Somewhere, I came across an article by someone that claimed to use a power steering pump from an 80s Toyota Tercel 4wd Wagon (along with a minitruck PS box) to do the PS conversion. Can anyone verify if this can be done? And, by "can be done," I mean "CAN BE DONE EASILY" with minimal jerking around and fabricating. I have a '73 FJ with F engine and I'm looking for the easiest conversion. I've already got a PS box, just need a pump and bracket. I wonder if those Tercel Wagon pumps are the same as found in '79-'85 minitrucks?

This is a Tercel pump I have run in the stock smog pump location for years, it works fine. I think it was from an 82 or maybe 84 that I pulled it from, I can't remember the exact year.
tercel.jpg

I can get my hands on a Tercel pump for almost nothing off a donor vehicle rotting away in a friend's driveway...so maybe I'll pursue this setup some more since I've already got a gear box and reservoir from an '85 4Runner. The PO of my rig tossed the air pump...maybe I can rig the pump to fit in that spot. After reading a lot of threads on here and looking at websites offering brackets, I can't remember if someone makes a bracket for a factory Toyota pump to mount to a F engine? I know I saw a saginaw pump bracket, but not sure about an OEM pump. Anyone? Ideas welcome....

This is a bump for bncruzn who PMed me about this but whose mail box is full. Clean out your mailbox so you can receive PMs. Hope this picture helps. No modification to the stock smog pump bracket to make the pump fit there. All you need to do is shim with washers.
tercel2.JPG

Sounds good to me...hopefully I'll get that Tercel pump this weekend and check it's placement on the air pump bracket. I've also got a factory PTO/winch to install someday. I shouldn't have any clearance issues with that, right?

Ok I am ready to put my tercel powersteering pump on - Help me out with the steps... - do I need to raise my car to get to the bolts?
Also need help making it flush for the belt (no added noise needed please hehe)...

have some time soon so I want to orient myself to get this done. Also have new belts etc so its a good time.

I think the Tercel pump will be fine (pressure and fitting-wise), but there WILL be some fabricating. There is no 'easy' method for mounting a PS pump to a pre-79 F or 2F engine. You will also need a bracket to mount the '79-83 4WD box to the FJ40 frame and you will have to remove the rivets (never easy) and the original manual steering box pedestal.

Good thing for me the PO already did all that - I’m just putting a new one on there because the one the PO did had a snapped adjustment arm

I’m just gunna start a new thread
@Kschep, did you get this figured out? Couldn't find your new thread, if you started one. I have a tercel PS setup per identification by @cruisermatt , who I believe has done several successfully. I'm in the process of replacing my TREs and fell down a bit of a rabbit hole, deciding I should clean up the whole setup.

Does anyone have a pic of where the steering stabilizer connects under the Tercel setup? My PO fabbed up his own drag link end setup where the stabilizer connected to that. I'm putting in new ends and don't really have a place to connect the stabilizer unless I keep his old end with the welded in extension and extra hole. The replacement set has no hole.
1642611977430.png

@Kschep, did you get this figured out? Couldn't find your new thread, if you started one. I have a tercel PS setup per identification by @cruisermatt , who I believe has done several successfully. I'm in the process of replacing my TREs and fell down a bit of a rabbit hole, deciding I should clean up the whole setup.

Does anyone have a pic of where the steering stabilizer connects under the Tercel setup? My PO fabbed up his own drag link end setup where the stabilizer connected to that. I'm putting in new ends and don't really have a place to connect the stabilizer unless I keep his old end with the welded in extension and extra hole. The replacement set has no hole.

I think you might have me confused for someone else.

That is a FJ60 box.

What I would do if that came into my shop would be, replace the pitman arm for one from a 80 series, then call up Iron Pig and have them make you one of their drag links with the 40 TRE on one end and a 80 TRE on the other. Then omit the steering stabilizer. This way you don't end up with any of the spring loaded adjustable TRE's that wear out too fast.

I don't run steering stabilizers on the 40's I set up with FJ60/80 steering. They aren't necessary with proper caster and alignment in addition to the dampening the heavy 60/80 box provides IMO

I just finished another up and it cruises at 80mph with one finger

I think you might have me confused for someone else.

That is a FJ60 box.

What I would do if that came into my shop would be, replace the pitman arm for one from a 80 series, then call up Iron Pig and have them make you one of their drag links with the 40 TRE on one end and a 80 TRE on the other. Then omit the steering stabilizer. This way you don't end up with any of the spring loaded adjustable TRE's that wear out too fast.

I don't run steering stabilizers on the 40's I set up with FJ60/80 steering. They aren't necessary with proper caster and alignment in addition to the dampening the heavy 60/80 box provides IMO

I just finished another up and it cruises at 80mph with one finger
You're absolutely right, I somehow confused you with @4Cruisers and I have no reasonable explanation as to why! So you're saying I've got a FJ60 box with a Tercel pump?

The drag link on it was the same diameter as the tie rod, so maybe that's similar size to a 80. I'll give Lance at IronPig a call and look into the hybrid option. I'm also going to try to get rid of this whacky adjuster arm on the PS pump. I think a smog bracket will work instead.

thank you for the assistance, much appreciated.

1642621420902.png

The 80 TRE thread is 23mm, the 60 TRE threads (what is currently attached to your pitman arm and sketchy-welded to another TRE) are normally 21mm thread, and the 40 TRE thread on the other end to your tie-rod is 17mm.

Call Lance and tell him you have a 60 box on your 40 and he will set you up with a nice drag link and pitman arm.

im about to reverse it and take it off and go electric PS or something else because i need mine smogged therefore need the smog pump instead of the PS pump thats in its place. I have another one too anyone need one? lol

im about to reverse it and take it off and go electric PS or something else because i need mine smogged therefore need the smog pump instead of the PS pump thats in its place. I have another one too anyone need one? lol
Pics are always helpful. I'm working with Lance on setup that @cruisermatt suggested. Another option seems to be the setup that @YotaRecon97 is doing here: Giving an old 40 a new lease on life: a build thread - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/giving-an-old-40-a-new-lease-on-life-a-build-thread.1269782/page-2#post-14274906

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom