Power steering gearbox identification (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got this gearbox as a throw in when I bought my FJ40. The previous owner bought it to install on the 40 but never got around to it. Can anyone with more knowledge than me let me know if this is the right gearbox for a fj40?

20170122_083807.jpg

20170122_083817.jpg

Looks like a Saginaw. There are hundreds of them though. The sought after ones are 4.5 turn, 4 bolt. That's a 3 bolt mount I believe. Good for a core if it doesn't work out tho.

Yeah, three bolt, inside the frame mount Saginaw PS gear box, most likely from some large 1960/70s American car.

Not the model of Saginaw PS box typically used in TLC PS swaps.

Alan

Ok, I'll go against the grain here and tell you that it doesn't matter whether it's a 3 bolt or 4 bolt (most available are 3 bolt and never a problem on an FJ40), and it can be the 3 1/2 full turns from lock to lock or the 4 1/2 turn- - -3 1/2 turn boxes have a much better ratio for your Landcruiser (16 to 1), although many on Mud will not agree, they prefer the 4 1/2 turn boxes (20 to 1 ratio, too mushy on the highway). If the gear box is 1980-older it will have American SAE threaded "flare" fittings, if it is 1981-newer it will have metric "o-ring" fittings.

I run the 2 1/2 turn box and love it. That being said I won't let anybody else drive my rig , it is a touch sensitive. I couldn't imagine a 4 1/2 turn box. That would be way to much for me. Lol

I run the 2 1/2 turn box and love it. That being said I won't let anybody else drive my rig , it is a touch sensitive. I couldn't imagine a 4 1/2 turn box. That would be way to much for me. Lol

Are you sure it is just not your stops that are giving you 2 1/2 turns and not the boxes limit?

4 bolts preferred for strength per off-road use as 4 is better than 3 obviously. 4.5 turns less squirrely on the road and preferred by the large majority. The others are fine too obviously.

^^^^^I told you so. 2 1/2 turn boxes are common on Corvette/Trans Am/sports cars where they want a quicker ratio for cornering. 4 1/2 turn boxes have a 20 to 1 ratio, and many of the guys who prefer them are the same guys who complain about how mushy they are on the highway, not a good feel of the road. The reason I always preach the 3 1/2 turn box is not because they have a better first stage ratio (16 to 1), but because when you have them converted to a dual ratio box(at AGR in Texas) they then have a perfect highway ratio (13 to 1).

Ok, I'll go against the grain here and tell you that it doesn't matter whether it's a 3 bolt or 4 bolt (most available are 3 bolt and never a problem on an FJ40), and it can be the 3 1/2 full turns from lock to lock or the 4 1/2 turn- - -3 1/2 turn boxes have a much better ratio for your Landcruiser (16 to 1), although many on Mud will not agree, they prefer the 4 1/2 turn boxes (20 to 1 ratio, too mushy on the highway). If the gear box is 1980-older it will have American SAE threaded "flare" fittings, if it is 1981-newer it will have metric "o-ring" fittings.

Thanks (again) for the great information. From what I've seem there is a mounting bracket that is needed to mount the gearbox to the frame. Where do I find a 3 bolt bracket?

Thanks (again) for the great information. From what I've seem there is a mounting bracket that is needed to mount the gearbox to the frame. Where do I find a 3 bolt bracket?

You just use a four bolt mount and don't use the extra hole. Poser on here sells everything you need to mount the Saginaw box.

You just use a four bolt mount and don't use the extra hole. Poser on here sells everything you need to mount the Saginaw box.

He's not the only one.

@Downey check your messages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom