Builds Portland Troopy Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After almost 6 months ! in Colombia, Dixie and I crossed today to Ecuador. Colombia had unbelievable scenery and the warmest, most hospitable people.

Further….

78307A9C-202B-441C-B189-D5008D039967.jpeg

53178E8B-F419-4CE7-BBA2-6960D5B77867.jpeg

Binged this whole thread at once, awesome adventures!

Some shots of the weekend camping spot on the coast of Ecuador.

D2524B4D-C965-4FC0-A075-B977A855A58F.jpeg

E6841A5C-98A1-46BB-86A3-94AFC53C2A29.jpeg

9822C74A-A5E7-4EF8-A59F-8FDD4740854F.jpeg

Some shots of the weekend camping spot on the coast of Ecuador.

View attachment 3295756

View attachment 3295757

View attachment 3295758

Too many years ago I spent a fair amount of time in Ecuador. It is such a great country to travel in. From the coastal towns, to the mountain villages, and the head waters of the Amazon basin it is such a diverse and beautiful country. If you haven't been, do what ever you can to get to the Galapagos. It is beyond worth it and there are lots of options other than the normal "tourist" destinations in the islands.

Your trip is an inspiration. Thanks for the updates!

Too many years ago I spent a fair amount of time in Ecuador. It is such a great country to travel in. From the coastal towns, to the mountain villages, and the head waters of the Amazon basin it is such a diverse and beautiful country. If you haven't been, do what ever you can to get to the Galapagos. It is beyond worth it and there are lots of options other than the normal "tourist" destinations in the islands.

Your trip is an inspiration. Thanks for the updates!
Thanks. I’m working on a Galapagos trip right now. I’d love to go. Just need dog care for Dixie.

Dixie and I drove to the 14k foot level on 19k foot Cotopaxi volcano today in Ecuador. Cloudy and snowing. Must be incredible on a clear day.

9A59DDE9-C34E-43B5-AFC4-119EE432FD15.jpeg

Waited it out for the Cotopaxi volcano view.

150D78D2-6902-454B-957D-8D5990752C07.jpeg

How are the latches on the alu cab roof holding up?
They are holing up fine but I can tell you that with pillows and a down comforter that a lot of pressure must be applied to close the top. I do have a spare set of hinges in the event that they fail.

So far so good........

They seem to fail from the side to side movement. I think they have a better latch now. that offers better side to side support.

I've replaced 6 latches so far and almost everyone I know has had to change at least one.

How much weight do you have on top of the roof? maybe that holds things down a bit more

They seem to fail from the side to side movement. I think they have a better latch now. that offers better side to side support.

I've replaced 6 latches so far and almost everyone I know has had to change at least one.

How much weight do you have on top of the roof? maybe that holds things down a bit more
All of the weight is on the front third of the roof. Nothing on the back.

I keep a padlock on the latch which would prevent side to side movement as I drive down the road. Maybe that’s helped.

Hopefully I won’t need to use my spare latches but glad I have them as finding new ones in bfe Peru would likely be problematic….

Vilcabamba Ecuador.

IMG_0048.jpeg

Not much on photos but two days ago I crossed from Ecuador to Peru at La Hormiga. I camped right at the border and the people on both sides could not have been nicer. This is a remote crossing….no other travelers there. Total time to cross was 65 minutes. The easiest crossing yet.

IMG_0057.jpeg

IMG_0058.jpeg

Been a while so an update.

Spent the summer in the Pacific Northwest doing long trips on a raft through Oregon and Idaho. It was great getting back and camping the entire summer from my 60 series (pic attached). It’s an old friend that’s been in storage for a year. Like an old shoe. Changed the fluids and had zero problems pulling a boat trailer up and over the cascades.

In late August Heather and I flew to Porto Portugal and walked 180 miles of the Camino trail to Santiago Spain.

We flew from Madrid to Lima Peru and are now continuing on our drive south. We will exit Peru sometime in October and cross to Bolivia.

All is well.

123_1.jpeg

IMG_9401.jpeg

IMG_4035.jpeg

Obviously delete if not allowed. Lots of pics here.

IMG_0515.jpeg

Spent the summer in the Pacific Northwest doing long trips on a raft through Oregon and Idaho...

View attachment 3438017

Main Salmon?

I finally got to float the Middle Fork this summer. Friend picked up a cancellation. Not the ideal MFS trip, took IKs and one lightly loaded raft as we had to portage the log jams and line another rapid that was full of wood & root balls, but we had the top section of the river to ourselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom