Parts PSA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long story short, always check parts pricing across several sources.

I currently having the crank but no start issue. I determined quickly that the fusible link is bad. Contacted the local dealers and only one out of four had the link in stock but wanted $34 plus tax for it. I spoke with the parts manager and asked if they would match reputable on-line parts pricing and he said he would until I showed him that Partsorq sold them for under $9. He said there was no way for him to sell the link at that price and make money. So for essentially the same price I can have 3 units sent to me and the local dealer lost a customer and they wonder why people don't use the local dealers.

Now once I feel well I have to figure out how to remove the fuse box cover :rofl:

Last edited:
$15 shipping so really can only get two but I get what you're saying
I'll use the local dealer in a pinch but other than that i'm ordering online

He might have matched one of the state side online dealer

I currently having the crank but no start issue. I determined quickly that the fusible link is bad. Contacted the local dealers and only one out of four had the link in stock but wanted $34 plus tax for it. I spoke with the parts manager and asked if they would match reputable on-line parts pricing and he said he would until I showed him that Partsorq sold them for under $9. He said there was no way for him to sell the link at that price and make money. So for the same price I can have 3 units sent to me and the local dealer lost a customer and they wonder why people don't use the local dealers.

Now once I feel well I have to figure out how to remove the fuse box cover :rofl:
My local dealer is part of a mega dealership chain, they have online parts available at competitive prices. Go to the counter for the same part? Ouch! Double the price.

Same experience here. I buy local sometimes, but it is challenging when online places are so much more cost effective. Especially when I know exactly the part numbers I want. I wish they'd do a solid and offer even a modest discount. I've purchased at least a half dozen new and used vehicles from this dealership over the last few decades, so it isn't like I am some random dude off the street that is trying to scam them or something. Note that this is small town america, not an urban setting where we have other Toyota dealers competing against each other for business. The only parts guy at the counter knows my name...

I currently having the crank but no start issue. I determined quickly that the fusible link is bad. Contacted the local dealers and only one out of four had the link in stock but wanted $34 plus tax for it. I spoke with the parts manager and asked if they would match reputable on-line parts pricing and he said he would until I showed him that Partsorq sold them for under $9. He said there was no way for him to sell the link at that price and make money. So for essentially the same price I can have 3 units sent to me and the local dealer lost a customer and they wonder why people don't use the local dealers.

Toyota does not fix an MSRP for all of their parts.
Not all dealerships are created equal.

They allow individual dealers to set their own MSRP. Yes, that sounds as F'd up as it is.
Then each dealer can sell it to you at whatever discount they feel.

I live in the Kansas City metro area. We are fortunate to have a primary Toyota warehouse in our city.

A number of years ago, I put together a detailed list of items I needed for a major rebuild on my truck.
I sent this exact same list to 5 different Toyota dealerships with 45 minutes of my house, all within the same metro area and a maximum of 25 miles away from each other.

Olathe Toyota
Molle Toyota
Hendricks Toyota
Adams Toyota
Jay Wolfe Toyota

At the time, Dan was still slinging parts out of Albuquerque. He was certainly the least expensive and most knowledgeable at the time.
This list was in the range of $1500 in parts when I purchased the competitively priced list.

The MSRP's that came back ranging from 100% to 250%.
The discounts ranged from 30% to 65%.
The actual costs ranged from 100% to 200% on final discounts from the least expensive to the most expensive.

Olathe was the most competitive. I will call them 100%.
Molle was literally only a few dollars above Olathe. Call it 101%
Hendricks was at least 200% of Olathe
Adams was 150% of Olathe
Jay Wolfe was about 160% of Olathe

I have continued to purchase many of my parts online from what was McGeorge Toyota (now Ourisman Toyota) in Virginia. They would arrive on my doorstep, including freight, (but no sales tax at that time) and be about 90% of Olathe. The other nice thing here is that I didn't have to brave the 5 miles from my house to Olathe Toyota during regular business hours to pick up those parts. They were delivered directly to my door.

My other primary source is Partsouq (www.partsouq.com) from the UAE. Depending on the parts, they can be 50% of Olathe (including freight). The most competitive parts from Partsouq are anything rubber, bearings, or gaskets. Shipping from UAE to my door is typically 7-10 days. The only caveat here, is you need to be conscious of your order dollar volume to avoid customs fees. Keep each order under $750 USD and they won't ding you at customs.

I am currently in the scope of prepping for a major PM rebuild on the truck again and I have done some serious shopping again.
I made my list and sent it to Olathe and asked them to give me the best price. Our local club has a discount program set up with them, so ordering through the club is a great discount. Olathe was still close to Ourisman and now Ourisman will charge tax as well as freight, so there is an additional thing to watch for there.

So, I contacted the Olathe parts rep and asked him to get with his manager to see if he could beat the other online stores and he said they would only go an additional 2% because I'm local and can stop in to pick up the parts and I will run those parts through them.
I advised them up front that I would NOT be buying the entire list from them because I had online sources for actual Toyota parts that were very low and I would not ask them to compete with them (Partsouq) However, I wanted to buy as much as I could locally through them.

All in all, I will be spending about $1400 with Partsouq and another $1500 with Olathe.

Downside is I have LOTS of hours in this searching and sorting and quoting. That includes searching the part numbers myself and logging them in my personal Excel spreadsheet. (OCD) This time has saved me well over $1200 so far. Mind you some of this time is my relaxation time. Turning wrenches on this stuff is my therapy.

I have been doing this research and collecting parts since about 12/15/23. I have yet to order the parts from Olathe Toyota because my time window is not in sight yet. It's cold AF here and my work has to be done outside. This truck is also my DD, so I only get two days at a time to work on it.

There are other dealerships that may have better pricing to your door. You must do the work to find them. Read on hear and find other folks talking about dealerships and who cut them a good deal.

I am very lucky that Olathe Toyota stocks many LC parts for 80 series because there are lots of them in this area and with the Warehouse nearby, it's one day to get what I need. That's why I want to buy the important stuff locally.

I was driving back on a Saturday from a job site and my alternator went out. I was driving and called Olathe and they had an alternator in stock. I stopped by, picked it up, and had it installed that night.

Olathe is also one of the few dealerships that will ship new 1FZ-FE short blocks. Keep that in mind.

You can't compare local deanships with out of the country parts providers. Those local dealers will have the parts in a day or two, and yes sometime Partsouq will but I have hard boxes stuck in customs for a month so if you really need the part in the next couple days dealers are clutch.

I like partsouq because the drawings they have are easier to read. I can find the part numbers and delivery from them has been fast But i can go online with Longo toyota and order the parts and get them in a day or two depending on what day or time your ordering.They are local so I can go pick the parts up. Also partsouq can find parts I have not been able to get in the states.But like its been said At the dealer you order at the counter prices are way higher then if I ordered online from them

For the last few years I've been using my local dealer for parts exclusively as they gave me a good discount, not as good as McGeorge/Oriseman but I got most parts the next day and we would shoot the sheit at the counter, talk about family, what the kids were up to, guy stuff, etc,etc.

Unfortunately the mega Corporation that currently owns that local dealership apparently replaced everyone in management (not just in Parts) including the Parts Manager and brought in a younger guy who had been working at a Lexus dealership out of State. Oh boy.

All discounts went away and prices (which were already ~ 20% above Toyota retail) went to 70-100% above MSRP. Example: rear brake hoses, MSRP ~$70 each, under new management local dealer: $145 each out the door, discount prices in the US (McGeorge, etc) ~$50 each, Partsouq, under $30 each.

I don't however expect US dealers to compete with Partsouq prices, they can't, just added for comparison. Point is my local dealer is now about 2x Toyota retail, 3x discount prices (in the US) and 5x Partsouq pricing for some parts.

I talked to the new (young) parts manager (cordially, how you doing, nice to meet you, blah, blah, blah) and it became immediately apparent he didn't understand basic business concepts (competition) or even human nature. We discussed that there are other places (much cheaper) to buy parts across the country. (There's even another dealer 40 miles down the road that kept the old prices).

His thinking was that people will pay extra for the convenience of getting parts locally. I gently/nicely mentioned that will only go so far in today's world of next day everything with Amazon and other Toyota dealers who give deep discounts online, etc, etc. Most people IMHO just will not pay 2-3 times the price for a part unless they're in a real time crunch.

My guess is, seeing that he came from a Lexus Dealership, he may have gotten used to people who don't look at their credit card statements at the end of every month??

So I went from spending a few hundred every month (at least) at my local dealer to back to ordering parts online. Even with shipping charges from a few States away I paid less than half what my under-new-management local Toyota dealer would have charged.

FWIW

Last edited:
Kinda relevant question. Do dealers all get their parts sources from different places?
Before I replaced my u joints I was sourcing a rear driveshaft. Called local Texas dealers for ETA, said backordered with ~2-3 week wait. Called who I usually get online parts from, Bell Lexus, and they said no issues with backorder. Noticed a lot of their harder-to-find stuff comes out of Ontario, my local dealers say all their come from Houston.
Just curious how the parts distribution works.

Kinda relevant question. Do dealers all get their parts sources from different places?
Before I replaced my u joints I was sourcing a rear driveshaft. Called local Texas dealers for ETA, said backordered with ~2-3 week wait. Called who I usually get online parts from, Bell Lexus, and they said no issues with backorder. Noticed a lot of their harder-to-find stuff comes out of Ontario, my local dealers say all their come from Houston.
This peaks my interest also. Over the past 2ish weeks i ordered 2 seperate orders from Partsouq maybe about 4 days between the orders. On the date of the first order I also put in an order for 4 items from Orisman(McGeorge). Partsouq orders arrived 6 days after each order. Orisman order arrived yesterday - nearly 2 weeks after i ordered it. Fedex did the delivery on all 3 orders. Does Orisman order the stuff from Partsouq or similar and mark it up, then have it delivered to them followed by a seperate delivery to me? Something like this would explain the higher prices and the extra delvery time.

20 year parts guy here, couple different manufacturers, one German, now at a Japanese brand. Most dealers get the vast majority of replacement parts from the manufacturer, which mean buying it from the manufacturer at their set price. There are other places dealers may get parts from depending on how they operate. Been at lots of places where things like crush washers or bulbs from Osram, etc, can be bought from another supplier in bulk for significantly cheaper than the manufacturer. It's not too common to have many mechanical parts brought into a parts department from a third party, but I'm sure it happens at some more unscrupulous places. I've been pretty fortunate to be at dealers that have abandoned the idea of a parts pricing matrix and just go with MSRP from the manufacturer as the starting price. And good customers, friends we've made because of dealing with them at the parts counter, vets, etc get some discount

Toyota does not fix an MSRP for all of their parts.
Not all dealerships are created equal.

They allow individual dealers to set their own MSRP. Yes, that sounds as F'd up as it is.
Then each dealer can sell it to you at whatever discount they feel.

I live in the Kansas City metro area. We are fortunate to have a primary Toyota warehouse in our city.

A number of years ago, I put together a detailed list of items I needed for a major rebuild on my truck.
I sent this exact same list to 5 different Toyota dealerships with 45 minutes of my house, all within the same metro area and a maximum of 25 miles away from each other.

Olathe Toyota
Molle Toyota
Hendricks Toyota
Adams Toyota
Jay Wolfe Toyota

At the time, Dan was still slinging parts out of Albuquerque. He was certainly the least expensive and most knowledgeable at the time.
This list was in the range of $1500 in parts when I purchased the competitively priced list.

The MSRP's that came back ranging from 100% to 250%.
The discounts ranged from 30% to 65%.
The actual costs ranged from 100% to 200% on final discounts from the least expensive to the most expensive.

Olathe was the most competitive. I will call them 100%.
Molle was literally only a few dollars above Olathe. Call it 101%
Hendricks was at least 200% of Olathe
Adams was 150% of Olathe
Jay Wolfe was about 160% of Olathe

I have continued to purchase many of my parts online from what was McGeorge Toyota (now Ourisman Toyota) in Virginia. They would arrive on my doorstep, including freight, (but no sales tax at that time) and be about 90% of Olathe. The other nice thing here is that I didn't have to brave the 5 miles from my house to Olathe Toyota during regular business hours to pick up those parts. They were delivered directly to my door.

My other primary source is Partsouq (www.partsouq.com) from the UAE. Depending on the parts, they can be 50% of Olathe (including freight). The most competitive parts from Partsouq are anything rubber, bearings, or gaskets. Shipping from UAE to my door is typically 7-10 days. The only caveat here, is you need to be conscious of your order dollar volume to avoid customs fees. Keep each order under $750 USD and they won't ding you at customs.

I am currently in the scope of prepping for a major PM rebuild on the truck again and I have done some serious shopping again.
I made my list and sent it to Olathe and asked them to give me the best price. Our local club has a discount program set up with them, so ordering through the club is a great discount. Olathe was still close to Ourisman and now Ourisman will charge tax as well as freight, so there is an additional thing to watch for there.

So, I contacted the Olathe parts rep and asked him to get with his manager to see if he could beat the other online stores and he said they would only go an additional 2% because I'm local and can stop in to pick up the parts and I will run those parts through them.
I advised them up front that I would NOT be buying the entire list from them because I had online sources for actual Toyota parts that were very low and I would not ask them to compete with them (Partsouq) However, I wanted to buy as much as I could locally through them.

All in all, I will be spending about $1400 with Partsouq and another $1500 with Olathe.

Downside is I have LOTS of hours in this searching and sorting and quoting. That includes searching the part numbers myself and logging them in my personal Excel spreadsheet. (OCD) This time has saved me well over $1200 so far. Mind you some of this time is my relaxation time. Turning wrenches on this stuff is my therapy.

I have been doing this research and collecting parts since about 12/15/23. I have yet to order the parts from Olathe Toyota because my time window is not in sight yet. It's cold AF here and my work has to be done outside. This truck is also my DD, so I only get two days at a time to work on it.

There are other dealerships that may have better pricing to your door. You must do the work to find them. Read on hear and find other folks talking about dealerships and who cut them a good deal.

I am very lucky that Olathe Toyota stocks many LC parts for 80 series because there are lots of them in this area and with the Warehouse nearby, it's one day to get what I need. That's why I want to buy the important stuff locally.

I was driving back on a Saturday from a job site and my alternator went out. I was driving and called Olathe and they had an alternator in stock. I stopped by, picked it up, and had it installed that night.

Olathe is also one of the few dealerships that will ship new 1FZ-FE short blocks. Keep that in mind.
Olathe Toyota is my go to as well. Great selection, prices and customer service if you have any issues such as returns or damaged parts.

Olathe Toyota is my go to as well. Great selection, prices and customer service if you have any issues such as returns or damaged parts.
This has only been possible in the last few years. They have a couple decent parts guys in there now that know how to use the system.
Don't take them for granted. If you have the opportunity, let their management know, so they see their value.

I literally have Olathe Parts phone number in my phone as "Sum Dumass" because of the previous parts guys they had.
They couldn't pour piss out of a boot without chopping off the toe and the instructions on the heel.

The dealerships are required to get their parts from the specified Toyota Warehouse in their region.
Some parts guys know how to use the system better than others. We frequently read on this forum about dealerships stating that the short block is not in stock, or no longer available (NLA) when they are clearly available. There may be a moment in time there are none in the USA, but they are SUPPOSED to have visibility of what is in the current supply chain. There is one individual on here that absolutely knows this and most of you know of whom I refer.

I push those problems back to the individual you are dealing with or the individual dealership and how much emphasis they place on the replacement parts. Some companies' business model does NOT include replacement parts because that doesn't sell NEW cars, so they make it difficult for folks like us to deal with them. They want to sell NEW cars at a higher profit. if you NEED a repair, bring it in and we'll fix it and you'll pay for the parts. (Lexus Reference from earlier)

We as LC enthusiasts are typically a PITA for dealerships because we all want cheap parts right now and we KNOW we're right and have a better way.
No, that's just what we want. If you happen to have a strong local support group (like we do around me) we are able to utilize them more efficiently. Plus, we have a warehouse in our town so I can get same day or next day pickup on most items.

Dealerships and parts companies use empirical data from the local DMV to determine what vehicles are still alive and registered in their region. The DMV sells that information to places like NAPA, O'Reilly's, Toyota, GM, Chrysler, etc. so the locals can determine a parts level to keep in stock based on the density of a particular make, model and year.

There are enough LC's in my area that O'Reilly's keeps many parts (Starters and alternators) on hand at certain stores based on the density of those vehicles within "XX" miles of that store's location.

There are all kinds of algorithms to support data like that.

If there were enough Ferrari's of a certain model near me, then O'Reilly's could theoretically keep parts on hand for those.

If there were enough Ferrari's of a certain model near me, then O'Reilly's could theoretically keep parts on hand for those.

Suddenly thinking of going to the local Napa and asking for an alternator for a Bugatti Veyron... I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a regular VW part of some kind, but it would be entertaining to see if the counter guy could actually find it.

I like partsouq because the drawings they have are easier to read. I can find the part numbers and delivery from them has been fast But i can go online with Longo toyota and order the parts and get them in a day or two depending on what day or time your ordering.They are local so I can go pick the parts up. Also partsouq can find parts I have not been able to get in the states.But like its been said At the dealer you order at the counter prices are way higher then if I ordered online from them
Magazip has an incredible online catalog and you can click on the exploded diagram to find parts, search by model or part number.

I guess I feel fortunate, one of my dealers is one of those mega dealers. They have an online discount portal that knocks 25-30% off the list price and also has a will call option. Parts typically are coming from a Houston distribution warehouse and show within a couple of days. I’ve price checked with some of the other mentioned sources and feel I’m getting good pricing when shipping costs are factored in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom