Parabolic Springs (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I talked to the owner of Great Basin Rover a couple of weeks ago. He told me that the parabolics for the FJ 40 where in transit from The Netherlands, and would be arriving about now, that they had to clear customs, etc. He also told me that the 60 springs would be coming in April or May. He took my email address and told me he'd contact me when both springs came in. Haven't seen anything yet. He said the price would depend on the value of the dollar vs. the Euro, but thought they were going to price 4 springs and bushings for $700-800.

dingo said:
here's a Canadian maker of parabolic springs http://www.parabolicsprings.com/index.html
the site just lists landrover applications but I've heard they also sell landcruiser springs.

So If they're supposed to be so good, why dont you see more parabolic springs in North America??

Ok, I talked with these people and they said they do have suspension for FJ40s but do not do FJ60s : (
Oh well

paulj said:
I talked to the owner of Great Basin Rover a couple of weeks ago. He told me that the parabolics for the FJ 40 where in transit from The Netherlands, and would be arriving about now, that they had to clear customs, etc. He also told me that the 60 springs would be coming in April or May. He took my email address and told me he'd contact me when both springs came in. Haven't seen anything yet. He said the price would depend on the value of the dollar vs. the Euro, but thought they were going to price 4 springs and bushings for $700-800.

Let us know when they get in and how much! Who, makes this suspension?

Thanks
Brian

Any updates on reliability/availability?

By the way, earlier this spring I went down and paid a visit to great basin rover. Bill is a very enjoyable guy. Though I mentioned in my previous message that he was kind of hard to get a hold of, it turns out that he is pretty busy (no excuse, but understandable). That means anyone wanting to contact him hasto take the initiative. Anyway, he mentioned to me that the 60 springs would be coming in this fall, though he wasn't exactly a 100% sure when.

I've called him a couple of times since the first of the year, and he keeps telling me that there's some kind of problem and that they'll be here in a month or two. I don't know exactly what the holdup is, though I was under the impression that it's some kind of production problem. Could be wrong about that, though. I'm kind of bummed that he's now talking this fall. I really want to replace my suspension soon, and I want to use parabolics, but if they don't get it together soom, I'm going to go with OME Dakars.

Brian; The parabolics are made by TIC of The Netherlands. Jim Phillips is just a ferry ride away from there being in the U.K. The rest of us are stuck.

Im very impresed ..

TLC-60-kit.jpg

2 leaves in front only 3 in rear setup .. In my knowledge less leaves, makes strong springs with more firm material ..

For more flex, more thickness leaves ..

Sorry mates ... is not mine, is only a pic that I found in the parabolic springs web site .. :)

P.S. I hope I can win some gift as is .. :D

This is a pretty cool concept. I have never heard of them before. Why the name? What was it's origin? Also, tell us where to pick up a set, I would love one.

:beer:

Parabolic springs sound very appealing... Anyone yet have any experience with putting these on an SOA FJ60?

I'm looking to replace my stock leafs with something that will be able to withstand the extra weight of a 50 gal gas tank, a spare 35x12" tire + carrier in the back, and a loaded roof rack. Sounds like this is a great solution.

Anyone recently been able to get these into the USA? I've sent off an email to TIC to hear what they have to say.

truckosaurus said:
Parabolic springs sound very appealing... Anyone yet have any experience with putting these on an SOA FJ60?

I thought that not usual spring pack option .. maybe un europe, but over america, not .. well, I don't know anyone, that buy it.

But if those springs function under springs ( as much other OME, Dakar etc ) must function over springs ...

I just got a price quote from the guys @ TIC. They said $1400 euro plus $300 euro shipping. That is alot more than the $750 us that somebody else said. That price is for the whole kit, heavy duty grade.

The kit cost Eur 1.440,- (ex. VAT)
Shipping per FedEx will cost +/- Eur 300,- (I have to check Monday, however,
I need a zip code)
The weighs +/- 70 Kg

The kit consists of:
2 front springs (2 leaf) = Eur 144,50 each
2 rear springs (4 leaf) = Eur 178,00 each
4 KONI Heavy Track shock absorbers
4 greasable TIC shackles with anti inversion.
4 greasable TIC spring pins
2 U-bolt axles kits (4)
1 full vehicle bush kit (24 bushes)

The springs can be bought separately but you have to keep in mind that you
need to find the suitable shocks and anti inversion shackles.

On the rear axle the spring is mounted in a rubber mounting. This mounting
has to be removed completely and the TIC spring has to be mounted directly
to the axle.

Just got off the phone with Great basin rovers, (US distributor)
He says itll be about 2 more months b4 he gets 60 series kits in, he has 40's in stock, he is trying for a price tag from $700-900 he says he likes them more than even ome, so he promises good things

So it has been 4 months since last update... anyone have any info on these springs if available in the US or not?

They are available, but only if you mean if they can be shipped in. I do not know of any US suppliers.

I'm going to be needing a set of springs for my stock truck this winter and I'm looking hard at Parabolics.

Good to see this topic bumped up and re-visited.

Cahil

soooooooo............anybody heard about the Parabolic SPRINGS AT ALL??? I am just about ready to make some phone calls and have somebody else do the manufacture of them...he is a good spring man and I am tired of waiting...

speeed_dmonx said:
soooooooo............anybody heard about the Parabolic SPRINGS AT ALL??? I am just about ready to make some phone calls and have somebody else do the manufacture of them...he is a good spring man and I am tired of waiting...

If you have another source for parabolics, I'd go with them. I'm not sure what the problem is with TIC and Great Basin Rover. I badgered them for months trying to get springs for my 60, and they kept telling me that they had production problems, but that they were going to get them. (See previous posts in this thread) When I emailed TIC in The Netherlands they never replied, but simply forwarded my email to Great Basin Rovers. I suspect GBR doesn't want to lay out enough cash to buy a minimum order. If that's the case, I wish TIC would find a LC vendor who will. Or it could be that TIC has some kind of manufacturing or financial problems. I'm now real leery of buying stuff from people who are not well know and well capitalized LC vendors.
I think I probably made a mistake of ordering a set for my FJ 40. They came via UPS as promised, but the guy at GBR told me just to get OME bushings for them. I have yet to find any bushings that will fit. There's a thread in the FJ 45 section of a build-up where a guy named Matt installed them. He had to cut down SOR poly bushings with a lathe to make them work. As I don't have a lathe, or know anyone who does, the springs are now sitting in my garage until I can get access to one.

paulj said:
If you have another source for parabolics, I'd go with them. .

Ray Wood of
http://parabolicsprings.com

made some FJ40 Parabolic Suspensions- priced ~$700. He quit making them because of the lack of interest. As far as I know his website never reflected the fact that he had TLC springs available and I only became aware of them when I emailed him to ask about them directly. Perhaps if there is enough interest he'd be willing to re-enater the market- he still makes loads of them for Series Land Rovers and has pleased customers all over the world.

if anyone is interested in a North American source for Parabolics for Land Cruisers Ray still might be your best bet.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom