Parabolic Springs (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was sold on going with OME before this thread started, but I'm starting to reconsider.

I looked into the parabolic spring months ago on a tip from Dan at 4wheelauto. They seemed liked the answer untill I found out that they were not made for heavy duty(expedition) applications. Maybe not for rock crawling either. But for a soa, could be a hot ticket. They also seemed difficult to bring into the USA since we didn't have a dealer.
devo

[quote author=devo link=board=29;threadid=16201;start=msg156725#msg156725 date=1084505615]
I looked into the parabolic spring months ago on a tip from Dan at 4wheelauto. They seemed liked the answer untill I found out that they were not made for heavy duty(expedition) applications. Maybe not for rock crawling either. But for a soa, could be a hot ticket. They also seemed difficult to bring into the USA since we didn't have a dealer.
devo
[/quote]

Devo, I don't know anyone with a rover who's had any issues related to the spring design regardless of how they've used the rigs....I'm curious as to where you got the info about them not being suitable for "expedition use" (assuming you're referring to heavily laden, long distance running) as the Spanish Military runs them on the Santanas (The Santana is a Spanish Built Rover and they actually pioneered the Parabolic). I've yet to see these used in a cruiser application, but would like to talk to some folks who have and compare their experiences with ours and the rest of the rover set. The Cruisers are the newer aspect of our business, with Rovers being the real main aspect. I'd like to see the differences.

I should be getting my set on Tuesday/Wednesday next week. Since I have just put new shackles and bolts on the truck I'm hoping it will all come apart easily and I can fit the Parabolics in a few hours. I will give them a good test and write my report.

As I said before, I fitted these on a series Landrover and loved 'em. I will wait and see how my cruiser rides with them..

Cheers, Jim

[quote author=dingo link=board=29;threadid=16201;start=msg156673#msg156673 date=1084499610]

So If they're supposed to be so good, why dont you see more parabolic springs in North America??
[/quote]

Good question. Why don't you get diesel's either? Over 30% of car sales in Europe are diesel powered but the US hasn't yet picked up on the benefit of diesel power.

There's a lot more that's good that the US doesn't have... like English beer. Oh, do you know why the English drink warm beer? It's because our refrigerators are made in the US :D

:beer: :beer:Jim

[quote author=Jim_Phillips link=board=29;threadid=16201;start=msg156941#msg156941 date=1084548600]
Good question. Why don't you get diesel's either? Over 30% of car sales in Europe are diesel powered but the US hasn't yet picked up on the benefit of diesel power.

There's a lot more that's good that the US doesn't have... like English beer. Oh, do you know why the English drink warm beer? It's because Lucan makes refridgerators as well!! :D

:beer: :beer:Jim
[/quote]

Fixed it for you :D

I remember seeing Skyjacker or somebody a few years ago making them for heeps, IIRC they were up to 6" of lift on 1-2 springs. I think they didn't sell well because nobody felt they'd last long before sagging.

[quote author=TOZOVR link=board=29;threadid=16201;start=msg156966#msg156966 date=1084549328]
Fixed it for you :D
[/quote]

HeHe - I think that might be right too

Hey guys, let me know if anyone in the US is interested....It looks as though we may pick up the US distributorship based on the Rover springs...since the channel will be open, we will have no problems getting them here for the FJ's....I plan on bringing a set in for my 62 regardless.

RJ
Browne and Ware Overland
www.bwoverland.com

Got the springs today and had time to fit the rears before it went dark.

The centre pin on the spring is about two inches behind (towards the rear of the vehicle) than where the axle sits. I disconnected everything and got everyting to fit.
But now the axle / wheel does not sit in the centre of the wheel well but towards the rear of the vehicle. Also, the rear prop shaft is extended further than it was so there is shiny metal (teeth) showing. And... the hand brake needs readjustment. Is all this normal with a 2 inch lift?

CAn't say how it rides yet as the hand brake is still siezed.

Sounds like you've got them in the wrong orientation. Your axle location should be unchanged. Measure your OEM springs, eye to spring pin, or use the stamped markings on the military wrap of the TIC parabolics to determine the orientation. The markings should be toward the rear, like the label on a t-shirt.

BTW, what bushings were supplied with your kit, ...nylon HB bushings or poly?

Have I got them the right way round??? As if...

Well, Actually, I did wonder before I fitted them if there was a right way round so I rang the manufacturer to check - and fitted them as instructed.

Guess what - I rang them again today and was told the person I spoke to yesterday is a little inexperienced and I have done them the wrong way round :mad: He told me to do it the wrong way AAAAAGRRRRRGGGGHHHHH

6 hours it took and now I have to do it again :( :mad:

Job done. Could have been a lot easier had the springs come with fitting instructions - or had I not been given the wrong instructions over the phone.

Getting over the rage now as I have the new springs on and the pleasure of driving my cruiser with parabolics.

Just to recap... My origional springs were just a bit flat so I replaced them but they didn't give me the lift I was looking for.

I wanted to change the springs primarily to improve the ride height. I know Parabolics are meant to give great articulation - but that's not really relevant to me..

The parabolics are good. They ride well and are comfortable - but, they are the firm side of comfortable. I imagine they will improve with age. They have given a good lift - 4 inches higher than the origional Toyota springs which were very sagged. They look good too - see the pics.

I would say they are great value for money. They cost only a little more than the chaepo rubbish springs I have replaced and are about half the price of all the alternatives.

Cheers, Jim

Jim, Looks great!

I have spoken with Paul and it looks like we *may* (Crossing fingers) become their US dealer.

What shocks did you go with?

RJ
BWO

I kept the ProComp shocks that came with the cheap springs. They are probably not the best but they do the job whils ££ is in short supply. What alternative would you suggest?

Paul certainly knows his stuff. He put me right on fitting them & told me he has fitted 30 sets and can do it under 3 hours - must have air tools. I've got tired arms after all those U bolts.....

LOL, key to ubolts is using Air or the new Gear Wrnches :D

Maybe OME John?

I'd love to see pics of the front springs!

RJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom