Parabolic Springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jonathan

To me it was important to have the adjustable feature. I wasn't certain whether 'heavy duty' or 'light duty' would be better. Now I know - and I havn't had to buy both.

I still think the ride should be better - but maybe I'm expecting too much, after all, the ride wasn't that great on the OEM springs.

A mechanic friend of mine said their was too much bounce in the springs - but if I stand on the tow bar and try to bounce the truck there is not that much movement (compared to a coil sprung 80) But then it does bounce on the road?? I think it needs softer springs and more dampening (if this can be done) The new shocks have the dampening - now I'm waiting / hoping that the springs will ease a little.

cruiser711 said:
I intalled parabolic springs in the front of my 60 about 6months ago. At first I also thought that the ride was too bouncy so i consulted with the suppliers/designers ( Westralia Springworks in Perth Australia). They recommended a heavy duty oil/foam cell shock. They sent me a couple of Desert Fox Shocks. They seems much larger than the old one and they made a huge difference. No bounce, just a very confortable ride. My 60 handles well. I'm saving up for a set in the back.

Cruiser711 I was curious as to how much the parabolics from Westralia Springs cost.I was looking at some for landcruisers at a 4x4 comp recently in Perth and they were the same blue as Jim Phillips but were nearly double the cost of the Beltons leafs.
I was also surprised to hear that Westralia Springs are still going,I thought they closed 20 years ago when the freeway went through.

Jim_Phillips said:
[quote author=dingo link=board=29;threadid=16201;start=msg156673#msg156673 date=1084499610]

There's a lot more that's good that the US doesn't have... like English beer. Oh, do you know why the English drink warm beer? It's because our refrigerators are made in the US :D

:beer: :beer:Jim

Mmmmm.... Tetley's........ :beer:

Hey Jim are you still around? Want to give us an update on the parabolics?

B

Check out the article in the newest Toyota Trails. There is a pretty good write up on the parabolics from this outfit.

.. An update on the Parabolics...

I have now had my Parabolics for 7 months and the ride is still bouncy as hell despite fitting Koni adjustable shocks. I have spoken to Paul Heijstee about the problem and he has offered to replace the rear springs free of charge. He will be sending me a 'new & improved' design with 3 leaves. I will be interested (to say the least) to see how these perform. I'll update once they are fitted...

Jim

I have them on my bj45, and i like them a lot. I Dont now howe to upload pictures, I used the manage attachments buton but it din't work.

My Dutch is better. :flipoff2:

I have now fitted the 'new and improved' parabolics on the rear of my 60.

Just to recap, the first set I purchased gave a good lift (2 inches) but were bumpy as hell. I fitted Koni adjustable shocks in an attempt to calm them down but this had a limited effect. After 6 months of being bounced out of my seat I contacted Paul at TIC (the supplier/manufacturer) to see what he could suggest.

He informed me that they had been working on an improved design and was happy to let me have a new set for the rear free of charge. Since I hardly ever carry much weight in the back I was advised by Paul to remove one of the four leaves prior to installation.

The new springs give a good lift (I estimate 2 inch above stock) but guess that the stiffness needed to maintain the height compromises the ride quality slightly. Don't get me wrong, the ride quality on road if fine - but offroad they are still just a little bumpy. I have ridden in a 60 with OME suspension and would say they are just as good. The last set of springs improved over the first 6 months / 3000 miles - I anticipate it will be the same with this set.

All in all I am now happy. The parabolics are great value for money, they flex massively when required to and give a comparable ride to the more expensive alternatives.

One thing you can count on is good service from Paul at TIC - he is always available to talk to and is very helpful. In my case he replaced a pair of springs free of charge - you can't ask for more than that.

When fitting, be aware that the long end (with the lettering on) fits to the shackle - the other end (shorter) fits to the chassis. You don't use the Toyota rubbers - throw them away. Don't tighten the shackles bolts until you have the vehicle on the ground and it can settle. Re-tighten the U bolts after 200 miles.

I may fit greasable shackles in the future and anticipate this will help. I also recommend that you get the best shocks you can afford as they contribute in a big way to the ride quality.

Jim

Last edited:
Jim,

Thanks for keeping us up to speed on how this is going. Sounds like it's working out well for you, and you've documented your experience well so that others of us can learn from your experience.

How much did you pay total,, I need all new suspension and I think this might be the way to go. was it hard to install?

i would like to know what kind of life you may get out of these vs other springs.
i am just about to buy springs, and so far these look good to me.

These do sound like a great option. I was leaning toward Alcan or Dakar... now I am not so sure.

TOZOVR did you ever get a pair and how is the US dealership thing going. I just bought my cruiser and it still has origional OEM springs. Also has anyone decided the best shocks?? So far from what I've heard the Fox ones from Ausi are the best.

Great info and thanks for the updates. Now I am definatly considering them. Also I will be SOA shortly and have been thinking of 4" of suspension lift soo.... the axle" + the springs" = at least 4"s right : )

Last edited:
Darkrealm that will be more like 10 inches. A spring over alone with stock springs ogives you about 6 inches.

I understand that Great Basin Rover in SLC (USA) is a dealer. However, I must have called them 3 or 4 times. They keep saying they will email price/availability in a couple of days, but never do. You might have better luck. Here is the phone number: 801 486-5049. Hopefully, your money will be better than mine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom