Owners post here. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Guys, I've been lurking here for the last few days. Long Story short, I've been a 4Runner guy for 20 years owning various T4Rs but always lusting after Land Cruisers. My Girlfriend sees me looking at old 60 and 80 series LCs online and - very long story short - I come home to a surprise 40th birthday gift of a 1975 (ahem possibly 1977) FJ55 in my driveway.

Sure it's not necessarily the model, color or year I'd choose for my first vintage LC, but she loves it and I'm pretty excited about learning to upgrade and work on this project.

Im sure you'll see me posting a lot of questions in other threads, but right now I'm finding most everything I need to know just by searching previous posts and trying to be that newbie asking questions which have already been answered at length.

Also - I know enough about this place and the regular people selling and reselling these FJ55s to know someone may know some info about this one and if they do, please DM me.

Looking forward to learning from you all.

-Mark

View attachment 1523350

Are you serious - your woman got that for you as a surprise for your 40th birthday?!? She is a keeper!!!

IMG_1291.JPG
Nice! A '77?

Yes 1977- It was a good year! STAR WARS was out and Mrs Bairds Bead Company just purchased this little piggy. See original paperwork (that is falling to pieces)

Applied for title 8/16/77. Paid $6,609 and paid $264.36 in Texas tax. Bay Ling Toyota.

Looks like it's got good bones, I'd be happy with it.

A few gray primer spots from most recent rust repairs. I saw repairs before during and after and am sure of quality metal fabrication. Else all is solid and complete. Headliner, panels and Interior is as expected one might find in a used (not restored) LC of this vintage. Excellent maintained drive components. Weatherstriping quite sad but expected. I’m an enthusiast not a reseller so I’ve some improvement opportunities. Expect most oinker pig names are taken many times over :) Not bragging or complaining - I’m fortunate to enjoy it. Thanks for your interest.

You bring the name thing, it's an interesting part of ownership, I've not driven mine through even one tank of fuel yet so the name is still waiting to be earned or discovered...but it certainly is part of the whole package. Look fw to watching yours come along.

5C4A3B32-CA46-486D-8125-9D8E5302D685.jpeg
7CD4E5FB-810B-4E73-B58B-C9B610FB8B80.jpeg
48280A1C-9E21-435B-A315-B4DAA6A217FE.jpeg
After years of owning various Cruisers, I finally got my hands on a Piggy!
73 FJ55
Rebuilt 2F, 4-speed and t-case from a 75 Piggy
Stock suspension from what I can see, I have a some 2ish" lift springs that will eventually make their way under the rig
Presently on 31" Coopers, had 33" BFGs
Warn 8274
The body definitely needs some attention, but I'll be picking away it that little by little. The plan is to enjoy driving the Piggy and gradually address any issues.

Last edited:
5E92D1AF-06A6-4902-ADEA-82E9E2F00354.jpeg
You bring the name thing, it's an interesting part of ownership, I've not driven mine through even one tank of fuel yet so the name is still waiting to be earned or discovered...but it certainly is part of the whole package. Look fw to watching yours come along.

Back tracking please. Reportedly sold new in AR. Something like year 2000-ish was re-sold to a Memphis car lot. From there to MS for oh 12 years (we know this owner’s name) Needle in haystack search but how cool to find previous owners!

Last edited:
IMG_0126.JPG
Went and looked at a new pig yesterday and was looking at this thread for inspiration.

I found I posted my first 78 and my second 73, but never what they became. It's been about 10 years in the new configuration and im trying to decide what to do with it next.

73 body. 78 frame
74 transition transfer case
Np203 grb
Th400
2000 lq4 6.0l gen III small block
95 rear axle with cable locker 5.29s. Long field superaxles
78 front axle with 80 series third, og longs 5.29s, six shooter knuckles,Howe ram assist
4 linked on coils w/ 14" fox remote res shocks
Sag power steering, hydroboost brakes
39 cut TSLs on ruffstuf diy 29 bolt bead locks
Sectioned and bobbed to a 2 door with exo cage
7" googly eyes
Inside mounted warn 9000ti with synth rope
IMG_0126.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

right?

I've been on the 55 forum a bit now but haven't posted here, so time for that.

I have two 55's to add actually. The first is a 70 that is totally disassembled, i zip tied the doors and front on it just to store the pieces. I still don't know its future. I may be using parts I need off of it and parting then parting the rest, or maybe not. Could be a great future project. tbd. It was 8 miles from me and cheap so I couldn't resist.
20180422_115051.jpg

55 number 2 is a '76 that I bought from another mud member. It had been for sale for a long time and I kinda dug it the first time around but it wasn't happening. When I caught the swine fever hard again, I checked out a number of rigs but couldn't get the feeling on them. Then this one popped up again at a lower price. We negotiated a deal and now I have my piggy. I'm super excited to throw more money away at it (not really, but lets just face the truth from the get go). It is super solid in a lot of problem spots but does have a huge hole in the rear floor. I can fix that pretty easily so not worried about it.

The first pic is getting home after a 23 hr. drive. Second pic is after getting most of the spray paint off. Long way to go though.
20180509_032644.jpg

20180611_170637.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom