Owners post here. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Guys, I've been lurking here for the last few days. Long Story short, I've been a 4Runner guy for 20 years owning various T4Rs but always lusting after Land Cruisers. My Girlfriend sees me looking at old 60 and 80 series LCs online and - very long story short - I come home to a surprise 40th birthday gift of a 1975 (ahem possibly 1977) FJ55 in my driveway.

Sure it's not necessarily the model, color or year I'd choose for my first vintage LC, but she loves it and I'm pretty excited about learning to upgrade and work on this project.

Im sure you'll see me posting a lot of questions in other threads, but right now I'm finding most everything I need to know just by searching previous posts and trying to be that newbie asking questions which have already been answered at length.

Also - I know enough about this place and the regular people selling and reselling these FJ55s to know someone may know some info about this one and if they do, please DM me.

Looking forward to learning from you all.

-Mark

View attachment 1523350
Congrats Mark and Happy birthday!

It's the gift you didn't know you needed. Kinda like flying first class for the first time. You think "ohhhhhhh, this is what the fuss is all about."

that pipework looks familiar; but I can't remember who did it...fj55 is more landcruiser than landcruiser. it's a cult within a cult. now you just gotta bleed for it!

Congrats - and happy birthday. 55's are an obsession and it looks like your :princess: figured out the perfect gift. I'll say it before someone else does - we need more pics! I looks like you have a really nice 55.

good news is, with all the money you will save with gas mileage and parts you will be able to afford a 60 or 80 later.

that pipework looks familiar; but I can't remember who did it...fj55 is more landcruiser than landcruiser. it's a cult within a cult. now you just gotta bleed for it!
Well stated my friend!!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I will definitely be posting more pics inside and out this weekend. I got it on Monday night and have only driven it a few short miles after work the last two nights. I'll probably start a thread with pics and upgrade/repair/build status. First step is to get it registered in CA this weekend.

I've got a long list of minor (if there is such a thing on a 55) fixes to start nocking off, but I'm also going to bite the bullet and have someone put in power steering and AC - the GFs only requests and I happen to agree.

I'm in East Los Angeles - Any suggestions on great Land Rove Mechanics in the area would be might appreciated.

Man, that is a slippery and expensive slope to start down. Trying to get upgrades and fixes done by someone else. You might want to read up here and look at videos. I make good money but i dont make "pay labor money."

Man, that is a slippery and expensive slope to start down. Trying to get upgrades and fixes done by someone else. You might want to read up here and look at videos. I make good money but i dont make "pay labor money."

yep, as I mentioned in my first post, I've been lurking through the forums since I got the truck. First box from Specter should be there today with various parts for my weekend wrenching. Also read about the 2F engine and got myself a Haynes Manual.

Read through several on Power steering and AC. May or may not be worth my time/money to do it myself. As we all know from user forums, "expensive" is a term relative to each owner. I've seen too many flame wars to ever engage in a discussion about cost-benefit analysis with another forum member, but I am very impressed and grateful for all the members like yourself who have been posting a wealth of information over the years here. I will be continually referencing it as I go. I'm just getting my feet wet with this Truck. I'm still in shock that it's in my driveway.

yep, as I mentioned in my first post, I've been lurking through the forums since I got the truck. First box from Specter should be there today with various parts for my weekend wrenching. Also read about the 2F engine and got myself a Haynes Manual.

Read through several on Power steering and AC. May or may not be worth my time/money to do it myself. As we all know from user forums, "expensive" is a term relative to each owner. I've seen too many flame wars to ever engage in a discussion about cost-benefit analysis with another forum member, but I am very impressed and grateful for all the members like yourself who have been posting a wealth of information over the years here. I will be continually referencing it as I go. I'm just getting my feet wet with this Truck. I'm still in shock that it's in my driveway.
I suggest you reach out to @Gordobe if you're interested in electronic power steering as an option. We both have EPS and have been happy with them. I had the local dealer install it but he did it himself. He's up in Santa Barbara, which may not be close to you but it isn't that far either.

Power steering and AC go a long way with my wife.

Have fun and enjoy that piggy! I

I suggest you reach out to @Gordobe if you're interested in electronic power steering as an option. We both have EPS and have been happy with them. I had the local dealer install it but he did it himself. He's up in Santa Barbara, which may not be close to you but it isn't that far either.

Power steering and AC go along way with my wife.

Have fun and enjoy that piggy! I

Thank you that is helpful to know. I will reach out.

IMG_8738.JPG

There are a couple decent cruiser shops in your area, but I am not familiar myself with any of them. Valley Hybrids in Stockton, however, I can recommend highly. Tell Georg I sent ya...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom