ordered my H-55 today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sl33py said:
anyone have a list of parts needed besides the H55 itself that will be needed for swap?

Is the new shifter needed? the old one won't work? what's the diff?

rob

The old shifter handle can be heated and bent slighly more so that it will clear the dash when it's in 5th gear. Laying a 5 speed shifter next to a 4 speed shifter you can hardly tell there's a difference.

On a late model FJ60, you'll need the oil cup, a gasket kit, and either modify your existing shifter, or a new shifter and shift knob. I believe someone put the acutual part numbers in another thread. Or, a reputable dealer can look them up.

landcruiserdude said:
The old shifter handle can be heated and bent slighly more so that it will clear the dash when it's in 5th gear. Laying a 5 speed shifter next to a 4 speed shifter you can hardly tell there's a difference.

On a late model FJ60, you'll need the oil cup, a gasket kit, and either modify your existing shifter, or a new shifter and shift knob. I believe someone put the acutual part numbers in another thread. Or, a reputable dealer can look them up.

dude - thanks! exactly what i was after. I will look for the part #'s after lunch.

valkyrie610 said:
LOL! Relax, I was just playing with that phrase...

Out of curiosity, hypothetically speaking, what would you call a Toyota transmission (or any Toyota part for that matter) that Toyota doesn't actually manufacture for themselves and never did? ;)

It would depend on the licensing agreement that the manufacturer has with the company that sells it. Obviously, every manufacturer licenses out the production of many of their parts for their vehicles. The parts need to be produced to the specs the manufacturer requires, and the manufacturer needs to support and warranty the parts directly rather than going through a third party. The point being, if a Toyota dealership sells an H55F tranny as a new factory part Toyota is responsible for the quality of the product. In the case of another vendor selling what they say is a new Toyota factory part then THEY are supposed to represent it honestly. Thats why I was a little concerned when you mentioned the L.O.R. thing;

"I still don't understand the deal. Robert at L.O.R. offered it to me for $1,750, said he could get them in 3 days. (Interestingly enough, he said the part number labels & markings would be removed)."

I'd really like to find out what you think might be going on this because I ordered an H55F from Toyota of El Cajon expecting it to be New Toyota product.

The color of the container also makes me wonder.

'nuff said

Bryan

sl33py said:
dude - thanks! exactly what i was after. I will look for the part #'s after lunch.

Talk to CDan, he's got everything set up at a great price.

Toadhopper said:
It would depend on the licensing agreement that the manufacturer has with the company that sells it. Obviously, every manufacturer licenses out the production of many of their parts for their vehicles. The parts need to be produced to the specs the manufacturer requires, and the manufacturer needs to support and warranty the parts directly rather than going through a third party. The point being, if a Toyota dealership sells an H55F tranny as a new factory part Toyota is responsible for the quality of the product. In the case of another vendor selling what they say is a new Toyota factory part then THEY are supposed to represent it honestly. Thats why I was a little concerned when you mentioned the L.O.R. thing;

"I still don't understand the deal. Robert at L.O.R. offered it to me for $1,750, said he could get them in 3 days. (Interestingly enough, he said the part number labels & markings would be removed)."

I'd really like to find out what you think might be going on this because I ordered an H55F from Toyota of El Cajon expecting it to be New Toyota product.

The color of the container also makes me wonder.

'nuff said

Bryan

I called'em today and asked to be sure if the tranny was new. The parts manager said it is a new transmission from Toyota and he will back it 100% and if i am not happy he will fully refund my money...

So there

The factory transmissions (at least all the ones I have sold and the one I currently have in stock) come in a heavy cardboard box. The weight is stated on the pick-tag as 152 lbs and the box has a couple cardboard skid-thingys for feet. Since the weight is above 150 lbs UPS will not haul one nor will Fedex ground. It would need to ship by LTL motor carrier or UPS Logistics or Fedex heavyweight, none of which are cheap. I wanna know who's willing to transport it for 75 bucks so I can start using them.

Regarding Toyota Remanfuctured parts, I personally wouldn't have a problem if Toyota did sell remanufactured transmissions, as their remanufactured parts are as good as new. I've bought remanufactured voltage regulators, starters, alternators, and clutch housings, and you can see that they put as much care into manfacturing it to "as new" condition, as buying a new part. I just wish they would do more remanufacturing of parts, such as distributors, steering gear boxes, and power steering pumps, as it would save us money, and, we'd be recyling. I just need to know that I'm buying remanufactured, as the price should be substantially better than new parts.

Now, if these were coming from other vendors, I'd be really skeptical. SOR and Man-a-Fre sell rebuilt transmissions and transfer cases, but about all they do I think is replace seals, and clean and repaint them. That's a big difference.

cruiserdan said:
The factory transmissions (at least all the ones I have sold and the one I currently have in stock) come in a heavy cardboard box. The weight is stated on the pick-tag as 152 lbs and the box has a couple cardboard skid-thingys for feet. Since the weight is above 150 lbs UPS will not haul one nor will Fedex ground. It would need to ship by LTL motor carrier or UPS Logistics or Fedex heavyweight, none of which are cheap. I wanna know who's willing to transport it for 75 bucks so I can start using them.

CDAN,

I just spoke with Todd at El Cajon. They are using Roadway freight for trucking these transmissions. He also said that they are coming direct from Japan, and they are brand new Toyota manufacture. Toyota is saying that it could be 6-8 weeks from placing the order, to delivery, but Todd felt it would actually be quicker. I mentioned that I may be interested in ordering one, as well as perhaps another FJ60 owner, and we could have them shipped to one location. He said that would save us further freight cost. This is a killer deal.

I love this forum!!

Thanks Dan and Sportbiker for your two cents!

landcruiserdude said:
CDAN,

I just spoke with Todd at El Cajon. They are using Roadway freight for trucking these transmissions. He also said that they are coming direct from Japan, and they are brand new Toyota manufacture. Toyota is saying that it could be 6-8 weeks from placing the order, to delivery, but Todd felt it would actually be quicker. I mentioned that I may be interested in ordering one, as well as perhaps another FJ60 owner, and we could have them shipped to one location. He said that would save us further freight cost. This is a killer deal.

You know, I'm a bit confused here. You see currently there are thirteen H55F transmissions in stock in various US depots. I'm not talking dealers here but rather Toyota parts depots.

There is no need for then to "come from Japan" unless they are grey-market imports.

cruiserdan said:
You know, I'm a bit confused here. You see currently there are thirteen H55F transmissions in stock in various US depots. I'm not talking dealers here but rather Toyota parts depots.

There is no need for then to "come from Japan" unless they are grey-market imports.
Hmmm.
I wonder what the difference is?

Its possible the H55f are coming from the manufacturer,Aisan, rather than Toyota.
Any agreements between Aisan and Toyota may have expired as the 5sp to suit a 3F has been out of production since 92.
They could have been made up of old parts stock to get rid of them.
There have also been big price reductions in Australia on H55F as well as diffs,fuel injector pumps and engines.

cruiserdan said:
The factory transmissions (at least all the ones I have sold and the one I currently have in stock) come in a heavy cardboard box. ....

Since the weight is above 150 lbs UPS will not haul one nor will Fedex ground. It would need to ship by LTL motor carrier or UPS Logistics or Fedex heavyweight, none of which are cheap. I wanna know who's willing to transport it for 75 bucks so I can start using them.

Ditto, all the ones I have ordered (or customers brought for install) came in a large Toyota cardboard box... I still have a couple of them with 4spds in em' :D

Talked to Andrew today and my Tranny came in!
Cardboard box, pure Toyota, no Grey Market or Remanns.
I's still holding my breath.
Toad

mine is on the way also

Todd at El Cajon Toyota - really helpful!

He got me the toyota part # off of 3 H55f's sitting in his warehouse.

Toyota part # 33030-60450

1550.00 plus shipping *approx $75-$95*. wow - I really need to sell a kidney or something...lol

rob

not sure where the number went... so here it is again. (800) 548-4500

Last edited:
landcruiserdude said:
CDAN,

I just spoke with Todd at El Cajon. They are using Roadway freight for trucking these transmissions...

Ugh!

Roadway has not been kind to my company. Damaged product in shipping, and little things, like sending my product to Ohio - instead of Oklahoma. Both states begin with an "O", so I guess that is good enough! :rolleyes:

Cruiserdrew said:
It would still be a lot more work to put in a 5 speed, since you basically have to completely disassemble the t-case to swap the two. Is it a worthwhile upgrade?-yep.

You might get a little bit for the old 4 speed, but not much-maybe $200 at best.

not to start an argument, but are you really getting THAT much more out of an H55? what...little lower 1st, and a 5th? doesnt really seem worth it to me... i can see it if it were mated to a 203doubler, and twin stick, smokan!!! -sean

hullendersauce said:
not to start an argument, but are you really getting THAT much more out of an H55? what...little lower 1st, and a 5th? doesnt really seem worth it to me... i can see it if it were mated to a 203doubler, and twin stick, smokan!!! -sean

It depends on your use pattern. If you are off roading exclusively, then there are much more useful mods for the same or less money.

If you are driving highway a lot or for intending expedition type use, YES! it makes a great difference in the overall driveability of an FJ60. I would not be without mine, and it is the FIRST mod I would do if I bought another 60 (or 62).

Mike S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom