ordered my H-55 today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sweet, I was going to order it from you.

cruiserdan said:
I stock based on movement, you sell enough of something and you stock it..:D

Sometimes one gets delivered as well............ ;)

What Dan is referring to is that he delivered my H55f to me directly at Cruise Moab. :cool: Yet one more reason you should buy from Dan. He also won't let you forget all the little stuff you need to do the job right. One thing I would add to his list, is a new rubber clutch fork boot. Mine was really groaty, and so got replaced. 20 year old oily rubber is just gross, don't forget to replace it. The H55f rocks. I can't say enough good things about it. It is not a project for the mechanically inexperienced, though, so beware.

Last edited:
I just heard back from Toyota of El Cajon. They indeed are offering H55f tranmissions for $1550, plus shipping, which is just a little over their cost! Shipping to Dallas will run $75, and the transmissions are in heavy molded plastic shipping containers (Toyota finally got smart and did away with the heavy cardboard boxes), so they should arrive in undamaged condition.

You can call their direct wholesale line at (800)548-4500, and speak with Todd, or Andrew. I'll be ordering one later this week, as I can't pass up this price.

BTW, the owner is a cruiserhead. Todd said that the owner recently found a 1967 FJ40 with 1300 original miles that had been sitting in a barn in Montana, and he bought it, and is restoring it, with eventual plans to put it in their showroom. Todd indicated that several other employees drive cruisers as daily drivers as well.

Last edited:
H55f

I ordered one from Andrew today from El Cajon Toyota.
4-6 weeks for delivery.
1550.00 plus shipping and tax (for me since I'm in Cali) plus he wanted a notorized copy of my CC and CDL.
We'll see how it all comes out.

I checked with Stevens Creek Toyota and they had no idea what a H55F was, I gave them the part # and they came back with a 1950.00 price.

Toadhopper said:
I ordered one from Andrew today from El Cajon Toyota.
4-6 weeks for delivery.

You guys really should have ordered from Cruiser Dan. 4-6 WEEKS??? Cruiserdan has one in stock. His price was not all that much more than is quoted here. Even when not in stock, he gets them in a few days.

Still, you will enjoy the tranny. Post up if you need tips with the install, or the transfercase rebuild. Also remember, there are many other expenses associated with this project-Clutch, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, t-case rebuild kit, new tools, rear motor mount, clutch fork boot, and possibly output bearing shims. It adds up pretty quick. You will for sure need a 32 and 36mm socket-so buy those now while you're waiting for your tranny. Here's my beast during the install:
Tranny2.jpg

Andrew

It's not that big a project on an '87 FJ60. You don'y need to move the cross member or anything. Did you say you needed to change the rear motor mount? I have not heard of this being a problem.

Mike

Mike S said:
Andrew

It's not that big a project on an '87 FJ60. You don'y need to move the cross member or anything. Did you say you needed to change the rear motor mount?

Mike

Heh, heh, heh-Mike no offense, but I know you did not do your own install. :rolleyes: For a home garage mechanic it's a good sized project. The only difference between an 84 and an 87 install is the resizing of the driveshafts. The driveshaft shop does that! In either case, the cross member comes out, and goes back in after the tranny is bolted to the bell housing. It does not need to be relocated.

As to the rear motor mount-you don't have to replace it, but you have to take it out anyway since it bolts to the bottom of the tranny and this seemed like a good chance to do it. I will mention for the record that the rear motor mount differs between 84 and 87 FJ60's so be sure you order the right one. Don't ask me how I know that! :eek:

Sorry for the Noob interference, but I was wondering... Hypothetical question... not to say my 60 is a piece or anything...and my 4 speed trans isn't quite an anchor yet...

If you had to replace your clutch and TO bearing on a 60 you just bought, and you had some extra $$ for the repair, and since the trans had to be pulled anyway... Would a 5 speed trans be a good upgrade and could you get anything for your old 4 speed?

MDH33 said:
Sorry for the Noob interference, but I was wondering... Hypothetical question... not to say my 60 is a piece or anything...and my 4 speed trans isn't quite an anchor yet...

If you had to replace your clutch and TO bearing on a 60 you just bought, and you had some extra $$ for the repair, and since the trans had to be pulled anyway... Would a 5 speed trans be a good upgrade and could you get anything for your old 4 speed?

It would still be a lot more work to put in a 5 speed, since you basically have to completely disassemble the t-case to swap the two. Is it a worthwhile upgrade?-yep.

You might get a little bit for the old 4 speed, but not much-maybe $200 at best.

cruiserdan said:
No,

I have one IN STOCK in my parts department. It is binned about 65 feet from my office. I walk by it several times a day.
Not anymore you dont

H55f

Andrew,
I know Dan is BY FAR the best go-to guy for all my stuff, but actually the timeframe is OK with me, I'm not planning to start it for 2 months or so.
Dan had said the shipping COULD be close to $200.00, so all in all it was about 150.00 more, and he even said to hurry up and get one before these guys wake up from the ethers. I also thought about going through Stevens Creek Toyota so I could just pick it up and save on shipping, but they balked at the price.

It's never a done deal until its up and runnning so you never know, there could easily be a hitch somewhere along the line, but I had to give it a shot. After all 150.00 helps on all the other stuff you mentioned I'll be needing to complete the project. That list of little things seems to be growing and growing!!

Thanks alot for your generous offer to provide assistance along the way, I'm sure I'll be needing it. I'll PM you for the Pilot Bearing puller when it gets closer to "job time".

P.S. It sounds like you're enjoying 5th gear!!
Bryan

Toadhopper said:
Andrew,
I know Dan is BY FAR the best go-to guy for all my stuff, but actually the timeframe is OK with me, I'm not planning to start it for 2 months or so.
Dan had said the shipping COULD be close to $200.00, so all in all it was about 150.00 more, and he even said to hurry up and get one before these guys wake up from the ethers. I also thought about going through Stevens Creek Toyota so I could just pick it up and save on shipping, but they balked at the price.

It's never a done deal until its up and runnning so you never know, there could easily be a hitch somewhere along the line, but I had to give it a shot. After all 150.00 helps on all the other stuff you mentioned I'll be needing to complete the project. That list of little things seems to be growing and growing!!

Thanks alot for your generous offer to provide assistance along the way, I'm sure I'll be needing it. I'll PM you for the Pilot Bearing puller when it gets closer to "job time".

P.S. It sounds like you're enjoying 5th gear!!
Bryan

same for me

landcruiserdude said:
I spoke with Toyota of Dallas yesterday, and they were shocked that they could offer this low of a price. The next best deal I found was liquid-offroad, which could sell them for $1650 plus shipping.
I still don't understand the deal. Robert at L.O.R. offered it to me for $1,750, said he could get them in 3 days. (Interestingly enough, he said the part number labels & markings would be removed).

Hmmm....

Well, since dealer cost is $1,500 and the only 5 I can see in US inventory are CDan's 1, Cabe's 3 and Freeman's (Santa Rosa) 1, it appears a magic tranny tree has sprung up.

Hmmm again.

Chris,

When I spoke with Todd at El Cajon Toyota, I got the impression that these transmissions were being ordered from overseas, and he said it would take 3-4 weeks for an order to be filled. I need to follow-up with them and see what kind of colored shipping container it's in, and I'll ask if these are remanufactured units rather than new production. If they're Toyota remans, then that's the first time I've heard that they're offering them for H55fs.

Hunches

valkyrie610 said:
LOL! "arrangements" with "overseas suppliers" are neither unique nor unfamiliar ;)

I have a couple of hunches I am curious about... the container being one. I will follow up on the others and see if I can get the scoop.

What hunches are you referring to? These are supposed to be comming form Toyota directly....so there doesn't seem to be too much they could get away with without being in danger of illegal misrepresentation.

Hou 'bout a hint?

Toad

Toadhopper said:
What hunches are you referring to? These are supposed to be comming form Toyota directly....so there doesn't seem to be too much they could get away with without being in danger of illegal misrepresentation.

Hou 'bout a hint?

Toad
I'd prefer to keep them to myself until we see what's up. I didn't say anything about "illegal misrepresentation" (whatever that is), it's just a sourcing curiosity.

valkyrie610 said:
I'd prefer to keep them to myself until we see what's up. I didn't say anything about "illegal misrepresentation" (whatever that is), it's just a sourcing curiosity.

Illegal misrepresentation would be claiming that the tranny was new from Toyota and it was actually produced or remanufactured by someone other than Toyota, unless it was stated up front. As was stated earlier, the Toyota Rep from El Cajon said it was "new from Toyota"

Toadhopper said:
Illegal misrepresentation would be claiming that the tranny was new from Toyota and it was actually produced or remanufactured by someone other than Toyota, unless it was stated up front. As was stated earlier, the Toyota Rep from El Cajon said it was "new from Toyota"
LOL! Relax, I was just playing with that phrase...

Out of curiosity, hypothetically speaking, what would you call a Toyota transmission (or any Toyota part for that matter) that Toyota doesn't actually manufacture for themselves and never did? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom