Onboard Air (OBA) - what are you running? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick search didn't show much (OBA | onboard air) other than discussions whether recycling the AHC pump/compressor would work for airing tires (clear answer being 'nope!!!'). In the 80 world, the Puma compressor is loved by many (esp. the local CSC club here in Az.) but isn't one I want for the GX (it's too big w/ its connected tank) plus I'm not running air tools.

I like the passenger side near the firewall space under the hood for a mount (I think some here have used that??) for their air system. @Dharma Dude just posted a tray for a 2nd battery in the same spot (thx for sharing that) so there's obviously enough room/mounting points for a bracket of sorts back there.

So, what you got? Please list compressor (make/model) and since space is precious in these rigs, if you have any interesting permanent mounts PLEASE SHARE.

thx!!!

here the mount for the compressor by the firewall, very clean job. I am using the same compressor and plan to copy the mount. I also plan to use a larger deep cycle battery for now and not do the dual batteries at this time.
Wheel In Luxury -a GX470 build

that same compressor could be mounted in front of the air box if you move the power steering res, it looks like there is enough room, not sure about how to make a bracket.

Thx @coops2k - yours was the one I remembered seeing/reading from a few months back. So many threads, so little time.....I'll be copying this for my own use so thx for getting me on track.

You must be an army of one, no one else here running a permanent compressor mount on their GX???

Thx @coops2k - yours was the one I remembered seeing/reading from a few months back. So many threads, so little time.....I'll be copying this for my own use so thx for getting me on track.

You must be an army of one, no one else here running a permanent compressor mount on their GX???

Not mine, it's " The Great Him", I saw it before and because I was talking to him last week about it

CO2 and an ARB mini for my lockers is all I run.

I have the CKMA12 mounted next to the fuse panel.

Photo Feb 05, 10 44 39 AM.jpg

Not mine, it's " The Great Him", I saw it before and because I was talking to him last week about it

Roger that! Thx again for the pic, that was the one I had in my head when kicking off this thread.

CO2 and an ARB mini for my lockers is all I run.

ARB mounted anywhere worth sharing pics/details of?

I have the CKMA12 mounted next to the fuse panel.

View attachment 1405719

Nice and clean.........looks good. Did you fab a bracket for the ARB or just attach to available engine bay metal? Does any of the visible fuse/relay setup isolate the compressor?

For most applications under the hood especially in AZ is not the place I would mount a compressor.
I divorced the PUMA for my 100 series application to save space and gain performance. PUMA still offers the best bang for the buck if you can make it work.

IMG_7880[1].JPG

I moved the factory brackets that were there and relocated farther back on the fender well. I used the plates that came with the compressor.

Yes, I wired it myself instead of using the harness that came from ARB. The first fuse location on the aux block is for the compressor. Still tidying up the wiring.

IMG_4806.JPG

IMG_4807.JPG

For most applications under the hood especially in AZ is not the place I would mount a compressor.
I divorced the PUMA for my 100 series application to save space and gain performance. PUMA still offers the best bang for the buck if you can make it work.

Thx Phil - are you doing anything for shutoff since you've divorced the tank/switch side? I've got a divorced Puma myself (never used) sitting in my garage, haven't decided if I can get that to work in the GX somewhere. Trying to keep interior space untouched.

Thx Phil - are you doing anything for shutoff since you've divorced the tank/switch side? I've got a divorced Puma myself (never used) sitting in my garage, haven't decided if I can get that to work in the GX somewhere. Trying to keep interior space untouched.

Im 100% live set up with an Anderson plug for on/off:hillbilly:

fwiw i have used my compressor in 100+ heat and have had no issues. the ARB has its own cooling fans, and i have to have the hood open to access/use it so its never at a shortage of fresh air.

Wanted to see what ARB thought of engine bay installations and usage, here's their reply back to me (no more reservations going this route for me personally) - pretty straightforward/logical but here it is:

On Feb 24, 2017, at 10:03 AM, <tech@arbusa.com> <tech@arbusa.com> wrote:

Todd,

There is not an issue with mounting the compressor under the hood of any vehicle. What people need to do when airing up tires is open the hood of the vehicle so it circulate cold air. When you leave the hood closed and you are airing up tires you are basically creating an oven effect for the compressor which in turn will cook itself.

THANKS,

ERIK HERMAN
ARB TECHNICAL DEPARTMENT
<image001.jpg>
4810 D St. NW
Suite 103
Auburn, WA 98001
P: 425-264-1391 ext. 1275
F: 425-264-1392
erikh@arbusa.com
http://www.arbusa.com

Important Notice and Disclaimer:

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. Any unauthorized form of review, disclosure, modification, distribution, storage and/or publication of this email message is prohibited. In the event you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of the message from your system. ARB Corporation Ltd does not warrant that this email or any attachments are error or virus free and the Company accepts no liability for any damages caused by any virus transmitted through this email.

In circumstances where the contents of this email communication may form the basis of a binding legal contract between the parties, the recipient is hereby notified that ARB Corporation Ltd employees are not authorized to form such binding contracts by email unless this is specifically confirmed in a separate e-mail from the employee’s Branch or Departmental Manager. If this email contains advice which the recipient or a third party later relies upon, then those parties are hereby notified that ARB Corporation Ltd accepts no liability for any damages caused by the application, use or ignorance of such advice.​

Hey Phil, trying to figure out the best way to do this without parting with precious cabin space in our GX470 (here in PHX).

Do you think the compressor *needs* to be in the cabin given our climate? Also, Do you think a tank can be placed under the vehicle? I'm looking at the Viair Medium size. Seen too many people ditch on ARB.

Also, unrelated but I was looking at your jack adapters. We have a 2 inch lift. In that case would your GX470 product still get the job done?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom